[Marine] Belleville Terminal and Coho/Clipper services

• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

#321 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

It has been announced that the ferry has been called Clipper V.

It has?  You mean other than by me?

Oh, it says so here:   https://de.wikipedia...ki/Halunder_Jet

wo er mit dem neuen Namen Clipper V

Loosely translated that means "where 'er might receive a new name Clipper V".

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 December 2017 - 04:33 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#322 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

Yes.

#323 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

VV reader: It's called Clipper V, I read it on Wikipedia

Wikipedia editor: It's called Clipper V I read it on VV

VV poster: I just made that sh!t up.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 1 other like this

#324 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Anybody know where it might go to get fitted up with North American stuff?  Get rid of the bidets etc.  Switch out the A4 paper with 8.5x11 etc., and turn it down to 110VAC from 220?

Or maybe they just throw this over?

image166.jpg

All kidding aside, anybody know where it'll go for whatever it needs to ply these waters?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 December 2017 - 04:49 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#325 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Anybody know where it might go to get fitted up with North American stuff?  Get rid of the bidets etc

They come with the terrifying German Shelf Toilets.

#326 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

VV reader: It's called Clipper V, I read it on Wikipedia

Wikipedia editor: It's called Clipper V I read it on VV

VV poster: I just made that sh!t up.

This info has been provided as an update to tourism partners of Clipper Vacations by email. However, if you look closely at the loading video, you can see the first few letters of the name painted on the front of the ship.

Further details about the vessel were also provided in the update, but I'll let Clipper's marketing team make the details public before discussing ;)

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#327 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:50 PM

Is that a "V" or five?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#328 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Five.  Right now they have a nothing and a IV.  They used to have a II and III but sold them both.  I think that's how it worked.  Or I or II or III is their current San Juan one.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 December 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#329 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

Victoria Clipper fleet: https://www.clipperv...el-information/

#330 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

Clipper Navigation, Inc., was founded in 1986 with the original Victoria Clipper on the Seattle/Victoria route. The Victoria Clipper II was actually two different boats that ran to the San Juan Islands. Both boats were sold and the Victoria Clipper III was purchased. 

The Victoria Clipper IV, with a LOA of 132 feet (40 m) and a beam of 33.3 feet (10.1 m), was added to the fleet in the mid-1990s and holds approximately 324 passengers

https://en.wikipedia...igation#History

#331 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

We wanted to pass along the latest information about the arrival of our new vessel, Clipper V. Originally intended to provide service between Vancouver to Victoria, unexpected operational costs associated with the dock in Vancouver precluded the expansion route from moving ahead. Instead, we are excited to announce that we will be adding Clipper V to our Seattle to Victoria route in spring 2018. The vessel will provide us with increased capacity to service the demand as well as provide an enhanced customer experience.

#332 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

V2V just breathed a sigh of relief. I guess Clipper looked at the dismal performance of V2V and decided to cut their losses.

#333 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

People traveling between Seattle and Victoria, B.C. will soon enjoy travel aboard Clipper’s newest high-speed fast ferry, Clipper V, starting service in spring 2018.

Clipper’s newest and fastest vessel, Clipper V is a 52-meter (170 feet) high-speed catamaran that will carry 440 passengers and travel at speeds up to 36 knots. Prior to arriving in the Pacific Northwest, the vessel operated in the North Sea between Hamburg and Heligoland, Germany as part of the fleet owned by Clipper’s parent company, FRS.

Clipper V’s record of safety and reliability on the North Sea route make it the ideal vessel for the similar waters of the Salish Sea, and its motion dampening system will ensure it consistently delivers a comfortable ride for customers across the scenic Pacific Northwest. Following the vessel’s arrival via heavy lift carrier in December, Clipper V will be transferred into drydock for final interior modifications before starting service in the new year.

Clipper V will feature three classes of service: Economy, Vista (window rows) and Comfort (business class). Comfort Class will be Clipper’s version of business class, featuring a spacious private cabin area, complimentary snacks and refreshments as well as leather seats. The vessel will also have a gift and duty free shop with locally sourced goods, as well as a full galley and onboard menu featuring regional food and beverage options along with Clipper’s trademark in-seat attendant service from onboard staff.

“We’ve been huge supporters and contributors to Victoria and Seattle’s tourism sectors for more than 31 years,” said David Gudgel, CEO of Clipper. “In that time, Seattle has grown and changed significantly with increased demand for travel between the two cities. Victoria has also grown tremendously as a destination city with so many attractions to offer. Clipper V is the perfect vessel for us to provide an even better customer experience while matching market demand.”

#334 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

The only bad part of Clipper's new ship being moved onto the Seattle-Victoria run is that now the hopelessly inadequate passenger facilities at this end just got even worse.  :whyme:

Running the Clipper V on this route will mean 120 more passengers are squeezed into that sad double-wide trailer on Belleville.

Edited by Nparker, 06 December 2017 - 09:05 AM.

#335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

Just a follow-up, Clipper confirms it has no plans as of now for the Vancouver route, with this new ship, or any other ship.  Banking on just the expansion of the Victoria trade. 

That sounds like great new for hotels and others here!

The 440-person configuration is less than it was in Europe so look for expanded gift/duty free on the new one.

If you are reading here, Clipper, how about an all-out package blast for the Seattle/Blue Jays series in August?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 December 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#336 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

I found this amusing:

...When it first goes into service, Clipper V will cap passenger loads at 440 as the Belleville Street ferry terminal cannot comfortably accommodate 579 passengers..

http://www.timescolo...rade-1.23115345

The current "terminal" used by Clipper cannot comfortably handle the existing passenger load; increasing the capacity to 440 or 4400 won't make much difference. It's not much better than 3rd world conditions now. I wonder how we're doing securing federal funding for the new Belleville terminal? Perhaps Ottawa will just add this to what they'll undoubtedly be gifting the CoV for the Crystal Pool and new fire hall.

#337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

Why does the Clipper not pay for its own terminal improvements?  It has nearly exclusive use.  It's not like I can pull up in my $2 million yacht Black Press and park there as a public amenity.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 December 2017 - 10:19 AM.

• Matt R., jonny and nagel like this

#338 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Why does the Clipper not pay for its own terminal improvements?...

I was under the impression the Clipper terminal was to be upgraded along with the rest of the Belleville mess. 

Edited by Nparker, 07 December 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#339 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

Why does the Clipper not pay for its own terminal improvements? It has nearly exclusive use. It's not like I can pull up in my $2 million yacht Black Press and park there as a public amenity.

Most likely the same reason we are building a new birth for cruise ships?
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#340 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

^Clearly we need berth control.

• Mike K., Nparker, Bingo and 5 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

m3m, lanforod