• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#361 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:19 PM

Clipper I departs the Victoria Inner Harbour one last time Friday

https://www.cheknews...-friday-695855/

The original Clipper left the Victoria Inner Harbour for good on Friday.

The ferry, which was retired back in February 2018 after transporting passengers from Victoria to Seattle for 31 years, was loaded up onto a massive ship to start a new career in Africa.

“It’s going to Port-Gentil, Gabon and it’s going to be used by a ferry company there to transport workers from the port, Port Gentil to Libreville,” said Anthony Utley, the owner of  Raven Offshore Shipping Lines, the company handling the move.

Attached Images

• clipper-i-new-route.jpg

#362 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 61,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

The Coho has pulled its January 31st service resumption target and says it will no longer issue updates on a service re-start until further notice.

"Our 2021 sailing schedule will be released as we learn when the border will re-open to non-essential travel and it is considered safe for people to begin traveling again."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#363 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 19,816 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:00 PM

The 341-foot Coho, which holds 1,000 passengers and 115 vehicles, will be in dry dock for four days starting March 8 at Dakota Creek Shipyard in ­Anacortes. “We’ll give her a shave and a haircut, general maintenance,” said Burles. “She’s immaculate, but she’s 60 years old, and we just want to make sure everything is good and we have her ready to go when the border re-opens.”

Burles said Black Ball is maintaining operations and ­payrolls through government loans and financial assistance plans.

“There’s a lot of unknowns,” Burles said, citing the new ­mutations of the virus, the ­success of the vaccine rollouts on both sides of the border and how people will feel about travel when it’s deemed safe to do so.

“I think there’s lot of pent up demand, but we really don’t know the circumstances of what an opening will be.

“We know it has to be safe to travel, and not just kind of safe. I know that about 90% of B.C. people don’t want the border to be open until it’s safe.”

Clipper Navigation CEO David Gudgel said he hopes increasing vaccination rates on both sides of the border — and decreasing infection rates in Washington — are signs the border may open soon.

The Clipper has suspended service to Victoria at least until April 30.

Like most seasonal tour operators, the summer period is “critical for Clipper’s revenue generation,” he said.

Gudgel said the company is hoping for a surge in business from Victorians when the Seattle Kraken begin their first National Hockey League season this fall.

https://www.timescol...open-1.24285594

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2021 - 01:01 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#364 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,433 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:14 PM

Clipper Navigation CEO David Gudgel said he hopes increasing vaccination rates on both sides of the border — and decreasing infection rates in Washington — are signs the border may open soon.

Unless Ottawa rethinks its edict on international ships carrying more than 100 passengers coming into Canadian ports, "soon" is at least a year away for the Clipper.

#365 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 19,816 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

which is probably significantly more devastating than the cruise ships.  since most/many clipper visitors stay overnight and must purchase meals here too.

#366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,433 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:02 PM

The Victoria Clipper V carries 525 passengers. Even if it only sails at 80% capacity, 300 days of the year this is potentially a loss of more than 125,000 visits to the CoV. I appreciate that a certain number of the passengers would be locals returning to Victoria, but still this is a huge impact on the local tourist economy.

#367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 19,816 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:08 PM

doesn't it make 2 return runs/day in summer?

The Victoria Clipper ferry operates year-round service, roundtrip 1 time per day, with the exception of trips in mid-May through mid-September, when 2 daily roundtrip services are available.

https://www.clipperv...victoria-ferry/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2021 - 02:10 PM.

#368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,433 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

doesn't it make 2 return runs/day in summer?...

Yes, but I was deliberately underestimating the passenger numbers, lest I be accused of exaggerating the impact of the Clipper on the local economy.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#369 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 838 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:26 PM

doesn't it make 2 return runs/day in summer?

https://www.clipperv...victoria-ferry/

In 2019 with the larger ship they only ran twice daily on certain days of the week. 4 days a week from Victoria day through end June. 5 days a week from July - Labour day. 

You can bet that they don't sail at 80% year round.

There's also approximately one month that service stops each year in January.

I think they had already been planning a schedule that was reduced from that for 2020 prior to Covid, but I could be mistaken.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users