• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#361 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:19 PM

Clipper I departs the Victoria Inner Harbour one last time Friday

https://www.cheknews...-friday-695855/

The original Clipper left the Victoria Inner Harbour for good on Friday.

The ferry, which was retired back in February 2018 after transporting passengers from Victoria to Seattle for 31 years, was loaded up onto a massive ship to start a new career in Africa.

“It’s going to Port-Gentil, Gabon and it’s going to be used by a ferry company there to transport workers from the port, Port Gentil to Libreville,” said Anthony Utley, the owner of  Raven Offshore Shipping Lines, the company handling the move.

Attached Images

• clipper-i-new-route.jpg

#362 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

The Coho has pulled its January 31st service resumption target and says it will no longer issue updates on a service re-start until further notice.

"Our 2021 sailing schedule will be released as we learn when the border will re-open to non-essential travel and it is considered safe for people to begin traveling again."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#363 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:00 PM

The 341-foot Coho, which holds 1,000 passengers and 115 vehicles, will be in dry dock for four days starting March 8 at Dakota Creek Shipyard in ­Anacortes. “We’ll give her a shave and a haircut, general maintenance,” said Burles. “She’s immaculate, but she’s 60 years old, and we just want to make sure everything is good and we have her ready to go when the border re-opens.”

Burles said Black Ball is maintaining operations and ­payrolls through government loans and financial assistance plans.

“There’s a lot of unknowns,” Burles said, citing the new ­mutations of the virus, the ­success of the vaccine rollouts on both sides of the border and how people will feel about travel when it’s deemed safe to do so.

“I think there’s lot of pent up demand, but we really don’t know the circumstances of what an opening will be.

“We know it has to be safe to travel, and not just kind of safe. I know that about 90% of B.C. people don’t want the border to be open until it’s safe.”

Clipper Navigation CEO David Gudgel said he hopes increasing vaccination rates on both sides of the border — and decreasing infection rates in Washington — are signs the border may open soon.

The Clipper has suspended service to Victoria at least until April 30.

Like most seasonal tour operators, the summer period is “critical for Clipper’s revenue generation,” he said.

Gudgel said the company is hoping for a surge in business from Victorians when the Seattle Kraken begin their first National Hockey League season this fall.

https://www.timescol...open-1.24285594

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2021 - 01:01 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#364 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:14 PM

Clipper Navigation CEO David Gudgel said he hopes increasing vaccination rates on both sides of the border — and decreasing infection rates in Washington — are signs the border may open soon.

Unless Ottawa rethinks its edict on international ships carrying more than 100 passengers coming into Canadian ports, "soon" is at least a year away for the Clipper.

#365 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

which is probably significantly more devastating than the cruise ships.  since most/many clipper visitors stay overnight and must purchase meals here too.

#366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:02 PM

The Victoria Clipper V carries 525 passengers. Even if it only sails at 80% capacity, 300 days of the year this is potentially a loss of more than 125,000 visits to the CoV. I appreciate that a certain number of the passengers would be locals returning to Victoria, but still this is a huge impact on the local tourist economy.

#367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:08 PM

doesn't it make 2 return runs/day in summer?

The Victoria Clipper ferry operates year-round service, roundtrip 1 time per day, with the exception of trips in mid-May through mid-September, when 2 daily roundtrip services are available.

https://www.clipperv...victoria-ferry/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2021 - 02:10 PM.

#368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

doesn't it make 2 return runs/day in summer?...

Yes, but I was deliberately underestimating the passenger numbers, lest I be accused of exaggerating the impact of the Clipper on the local economy.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#369 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:26 PM

doesn't it make 2 return runs/day in summer?

https://www.clipperv...victoria-ferry/

In 2019 with the larger ship they only ran twice daily on certain days of the week. 4 days a week from Victoria day through end June. 5 days a week from July - Labour day. 

You can bet that they don't sail at 80% year round.

There's also approximately one month that service stops each year in January.

I think they had already been planning a schedule that was reduced from that for 2020 prior to Covid, but I could be mistaken.

#370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

just putting this here for lack of anywhere better.

Kitsap Transit begins service on its third fast-ferry route Monday morning, a 26-minute direct passenger-only trip between Southworth and downtown Seattle.

The 255-seat vessel Enetai made four exhibition trips Saturday across Puget Sound into Elliott Bay, where a total of 325 passengers rode at speeds reaching 42 mph. It’s faster than riding a state ferry to Fauntleroy, followed by a bus or car trip across West Seattle into downtown.

“It stayed smooth and level, it didn’t list side-to-side. I’m pretty excited this vessel will be on the route,” said Joel Sparrow, a longtime ferry commuter from Southworth to Seattle’s Chinatown International District.

https://www.seattlet...Registered User

built in freeland washington:  http://www.nicholsboats.com/team

24524588_web1_210319-POI-T-Enetai.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2021 - 11:28 AM.

#371 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:19 PM

So there was a swan in the inner harbour this afternoon, and I got to thinking that this was actually the first time I've seen one there in the 19 years I've been here.

#372 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:53 AM

This year I notice a lot more seal and otter activity in the inner harbour.

The lone swan has been here for at least three years. It is often near the West Bay marina.
  • Greg likes this

#373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:12 AM

People have been trying to find him a mate, I think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:08 AM

“I was glad to see there is some positive direction there, but I was really hoping to see some metrics to see what targets they have to hit in order to get an opening,” said Clipper Navigation chief executive Dave Gudgel. “I appreciate the timelines, but it still makes it difficult for us to plan.”

Clipper, which sails between downtown Seattle and Victoria’s Inner Harbour, has been idled since March 2020 but could be running within a few weeks of getting an okay.

Gudgel said they will not resume regular service until both Seattle and Victoria are ready and comfortable with accepting the vessels. Clipper will start its Seattle-Friday Harbour service this week.

Ryan Burles, president of Black Ball, which operates the Coho car ferry between Victoria and Port Angeles, Washington, said he is pleased with Tuesday’s announcement and Premier John Horgan’s hope that international travel could be in the cards late this year.

https://www.timescol...ease-1.24323068

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 May 2021 - 06:09 AM.

• Greg likes this

#375 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:40 AM

The Clipper got a nice welcome for its return this morning.

Attached Images

• PXL_20210917_172807605.jpg
  • PXL_20210917_172958051.jpg

• Nparker, Matt R., Sparky and 5 others like this

#376 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:42 PM

Man I used to love taking the clipper, glad to see it back. Not timed for Canadians, but timed well enough to get me to the WaMu theatre for a show. In normal times I’d be heading down next week.

Matt.
  • Nparker and todd like this

#377 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:47 PM

Hopefully, Clipper vacation packages to Seattle will be a thing again by Spring 2022.

• Matt R. likes this

#378 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:46 AM

Wanting to return to Seattle for the Blue Jays series in July. For me Clipper is the most convenient way of getting there and returning. So I hope for smooth seas for Clipper.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#379 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:50 PM

Fast ferry service between Victoria and Seattle suspended until 2022

That didn't last long. Not surprising given the quote below, which will be due in part to it being open only to travelers coming here, and not the reverse.

Clipper CEO David Gudgel says despite the easing of federal border restrictions, passenger demand has not been high enough to cover operating costs and the company has decided to suspend sailings because it is "losing significant money."

#380 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:00 PM

that’s too bad but perhaps not unexpected.

wasn’t there some other onerous conditions in order to travel? too many hoops. come here for a day trip or weekend but prepare to quarantine for 14 days here if your test comes up bad. that’s not going to fly.

s, all U.S. citizens and permanent Canadian residents residing in the U.S. transiting to Canada will be required to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to arriving in Canada for non-essential travel. Travelers will be required to provide proof of vaccination and submit their travel information via ArriveCAN (web portal or app) within 72 hours of planned arrival.

In addition, all travelers are required to submit a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test within 72 hours of arriving in Canada. Fully vaccinated travelers who meet the requirements will be exempt from quarantine; however, all travelers must still provide a quarantine plan and be prepared to quarantine, in case it is determined at the border that they do not meet the necessary requirements.
FRS Clipper suspended all international operations in March 2020.

https://www.clipperv...-ferry-service/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 October 2021 - 02:07 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users