Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3806 replies to this topic

#3641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,647 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:28 PM

You know, once the bus route was taken off Haultain I really can't blame anyone for recognizing its potential for cycling. It's one of those streets that just naturally works for it. And the path heading north around the tennis courts through the park and the new intersection across Hillside to the mall have really sweetened the deal. This route enables cyclists to cover a fair distance without spending any time at all on a busy street other than to cross over at a controlled crossing. You can cover ~25 blocks east/west between Quadra and Foul Bay in the chillest stress-free fashion, or go north/south all the way to Derby. In my opinion that's the kind of cycling infrastructure I can get behind, where you make relatively small changes and adjustments in order to take advantage of things as they basically already are, rather than (for example) trying to transform Shelbourne.

Commuter cyclists might like a more direct route though.  Those cyclists have already told us they do not want to be relegated to side streets or less direct routes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 July 2023 - 02:29 PM.

#3642 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:29 PM

...In my opinion that's the kind of cycling infrastructure I can get behind...

And you will get behind the cyclists if you're fool enough to take your vehicle along this road, since you cannot travel faster than the slowest bike and there is virtually no room to pass. Of course with 50% more traffic on Bay Street now you're only marginally better off there.

#3643 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:31 PM

Mods: perhaps it might make sense to move the Haultain discussion to the cycling infrastructure thread.

• DavidSchell likes this

#3644 aastra

aastra
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 04:28 PM

And you will get behind the cyclists if you're fool enough to take your vehicle along this road, since you cannot travel faster than the slowest bike

You should schedule your errands so you end up following behind VV's daily peloton. You'll be flooring the gas pedal just trying to keep up.

#3645 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,647 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 11:36 PM

Townhouse project gets green light from Victoria council despite staff concerns

The eight-unit project on two single-family lots on Foul Bay Road was lauded by city council as the kind of housing that is needed in Victoria.

#3646 Mike P.

Mike P.
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 04:55 PM

Easy Home vacated the Capitol 6 building, demolition must be around the corner.
  • Mike K. likes this

#3647 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 06:23 PM

Interesting. Maybe something is indeed up. I’ll dig around.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3648 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 07:26 AM

Easy Home vacated the Capitol 6 building, demolition must be around the corner.

Any word what will happen with the theatre business? I often find Capitol 6 more often has the movies I want to see than the Odeon. I'll be very sad to see the theatre go.

• Nparker likes this

#3649 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 11:08 AM

Menzies and Niagara

I have no clue why the uploader flips the picture around ... even tried to store it upside down thinking it would load correctly,  but nope. 

Attached Images

• 20230813_093317.jpg

Edited by DavidSchell, 14 August 2023 - 11:09 AM.

#3650 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 11:17 AM

Just one of those VV quirks that makes life so much fun.

davidschell.jpg

• Mike K. and DavidSchell like this

#3651 aastra

aastra
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:26 AM

Back to the Parry Street/Toronto Street development... I really wish Victorians would be receptive to ultra-small-footprint mini-towers as a potential solution for situations such as this. The lot is large, and there's plenty of opportunity to add some new construction while also preserving & restoring some of the old character houses. Does Victoria currently have even one example of the kinds of tiny-footprint buildings like I'm talking about?

--

Here's the development site in James Bay:

Development_site-Parry_St_at_Toronto_St.jpg

--

And here are some ultra-small-footprint mini towers in Vancouver's neighbourhoods:

These two are near VGH, 13th Avenue between Burrard and Fir:

Development-tiny_footprint_Junior_highrises_13th_ave_pine_and_fir_near_VGH.jpg

--

This one is across town in Point Grey:

Development-tiny_footprint_Junior_highrise_point_grey.jpg

--

And there's also this one on Fir near the tennis club...

• Nparker likes this

#3652 aastra

aastra
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:30 AM

To my eye the development proposal itself would be some of Aryze's best work. But in the year 2023 I just don't understand why it would be aimed at a prime corner in James Bay full of fine old character houses.

#3653 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:34 AM

...I really wish Victorians would be receptive to ultra-small-footprint mini-towers as a potential solution for situations such as this...

Remember how quickly this proposal for 1010 Fort Street was shot down?

1010 Fort St.jpg

#3654 aastra

aastra
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:38 AM

I had completely forgotten about it, but I really liked the version as shown in your pic. Although I seem to remember the ground floor went backward in a subsequent "refinement" of the concept.

#3655 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:29 AM

Back to the Parry Street/Toronto Street development... I really wish Victorians would be receptive to ultra-small-footprint mini-towers as a potential solution for situations such as this. The lot is large, and there's plenty of opportunity to add some new construction while also preserving & restoring some of the old character houses. Does Victoria currently have even one example of the kinds of tiny-footprint buildings like I'm talking about?

--

Here's the development site in James Bay:

attachicon.gif Development_site-Parry_St_at_Toronto_St.jpg

--

And here are some ultra-small-footprint mini towers in Vancouver's neighbourhoods:

These two are near VGH, 13th Avenue between Burrard and Fir:

attachicon.gif Development-tiny_footprint_Junior_highrises_13th_ave_pine_and_fir_near_VGH.jpg

--

This one is across town in Point Grey:

attachicon.gif Development-tiny_footprint_Junior_highrise_point_grey.jpg

--

And there's also this one on Fir near the tennis club...

Hey we agree on something!

but come on, the building we are proposing on Toronto Street is gorgeous!

Attached Images

• Image 2023-07-20 at 9.34 AM.jpg

• Nparker and GaryOak like this

#3656 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:32 AM

Can't really tell how big those are.  Are they the size of the Juliet say?

#3657 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,074 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:48 AM

I am not sure of the cross street for a comparison with now. I think this is it.

Toronto & Parry.png

Edited by Nparker, 22 August 2023 - 09:58 AM.

#3658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:53 AM

PPP, it’s a beautiful design, but what’s the likelihood it’ll change after approvals are granted?

The Vic West neighbourbood where the Rhino was going is miffed the design changed so much after the public hearing and approvals. Some nebulous community members shouldn’t have the power or the sway to force an alteration of a design like they did in Vic West. It makes no sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3659 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:54 AM

Toronto and parry I think

#3660 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:55 AM

At top is what was approved, followed by the post-approval redesign.

IMG_1078.jpeg

IMG_1077.jpeg

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users