[Oak Bay] Oak Bay Beach Hotel | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2013

• Please log in to reply
586 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

THERE ARE ONLY 20 FORTUNATE PEOPLE WHO WILL BE ABLE TO, IN THE END, CALL THE OAK BAY BEACH HOTEL HOME.

Warning to all married/engaged/common-law couples...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

Response is so fabulous that the site is still an eyesore with no sign of activity.

#63 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

“THERE ARE ONLY 20 FORTUNATE PEOPLE WHO WILL BE ABLE TO, IN THE END, CALL THE OAK BAY BEACH HOTEL HOME. WE HAVE LITERALLY DOZENS ALREADY WHO HAVE REGISTERED FOR THE EVENT AND I SUSPECT THAT WILL GROW TO HUNDREDS BY THE TIME WE ARE DONE.”

OMG! Literally dozens!?

Gimme a break. How many people that register for these things actually buy?

I smell PR BS.

#64 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:03 AM

I guess you have to drink your own kool-aid if you want other people to as well.

I notice that his buyers are all from markets that have been whacked themselves and would likely be part time residents here. The point being that the amenities are nice but probably not items that someone who wasn't living here on a full time basis would pay a huge premium for.

#65 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

"Registered"?
Does that mean you get a free popsicle if you give them your name?
I never liked the aroma of this thing from the outset.

#66 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

More
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#67 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

Call me a cheap bastard, but what sucker would pay over a million dollars for a one bedroom condo?

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:54 AM

Waterfront units in Oak Bay aren't particularly abundant.

#69 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

I never liked the aroma of this thing from the outset.

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on your disdain for this project? I'm not a fan either but I think we have different reasons.

#70 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on your disdain for this project? I'm not a fan either but I think we have different reasons.

I saw it as a way to get the hotel demolished to release the value in the site. Seemed to me they never really had their fiancial ducks in a row but needed the structure out of the way so say anything to get the demolition permit. Only my opinion.
What's yours?

#71 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

Friday's condo feature.

Walker Hospitality last week opened registration to buyers interested in the 20 full-ownership suites that will be part of the 100-room hotel, which will open in the fall of 2010.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#72 Roger

Roger
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

CHEK news had an update tonight on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel redevelopment.

Seems like they only have 50% of the pre-sales they need in order to meet financing requirements. The developer figures at least six months until they start. Will they really be able to sell high-end units under current market conditions??

#73 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

CHEK news had an update tonight on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel redevelopment.

Seems like they only have 50% of the pre-sales they need in order to meet financing requirements. The developer figures at least six months until they start. Will they really be able to sell high-end units under current market conditions??

No.

They waited about 2 years too long to pull this off.

#74 Roger

Roger
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

No.

They waited about 2 years too long to pull this off.

They didn't want to wait. Oak Bay city hall and the neighbours kept wanting changes and when they finally got an acceptable proposal together it was too late.

#75 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

The original project was way too big for the site. Greed got in the way.

#76 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

what's the appropriate proffit margin when the "greed" label gets tacked on? Seems in this town proposing a project that isn't a net money-loss is greedy.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#77 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:59 AM

They didn't want to wait. Oak Bay city hall and the neighbours kept wanting changes and when they finally got an acceptable proposal together it was too late.

Agreed. Wasn't suggesting that the delay was entirely their doing.

#78 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

It was a perfectly viable business, long-established in a building with charm and character. A building paid off long ago and inherited by the owner.
Oh, I forgot, the building also sat on a superb site potentially worth zillions if the pesky hotel could be whizzed and condo boxes run up.
He blew it and the result is an eyesore.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

Condo boxes would have fit right into that neighbourhood.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#80 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Maybe condo spheres would have been better? The old hotel seemed to be made up of a lot of boxy right angles from what i remember. Or is a box not a box if you put on faux-tudor treatments and a pitched roof?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users