Fixed-link to the mainland

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

What does everyone think of this? In case some people don't already post on Skyscraperpage.com here's a thread about it:
http://forum.skyscra...ad.php?t=152663

#2 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:18 AM

W/o reading the whole thread, I agree with the writers who think it is technically unfeasible.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

W/o reading the whole thread, I agree with the writers who think it is technically unfeasible.

from Swartz Bay to Tsawassen anyway..... I also think Victoria could just become a suburb of Vancouver if there were a road link.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

A fixed link will be built sometime after the following headline appears in the Times-Colonist:

"Saudi Arabian developers to build 250-story tower on site of Emily Carr's birthplace" - Councillor-for-life Madoff says 'I'm thrilled'. "Finally James Bay can have a building of which to be proud".

#5 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:17 AM

A fixed link will be built sometime after the following headline appears in the Times-Colonist:

"Saudi Arabian developers to build 250-story tower on site of Emily Carr's birthplace" - Councillor-for-life Madoff says 'I'm thrilled'. "Finally James Bay can have a building of which to be proud".

I think you should add that one into the Ultimate Rumor Thread :P - I want to be the Tower Crane Operator on that one, although if there are any pilots around here, watch out eh?:P

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:58 AM

Every few months another dumb fixed link thread appears on Skyscraper Page. Here's the bottom line on why it will NEVER happen:

-Too deep for a regular bridge or tunnel. Too much ocean traffic and unpredictable weather for a floating bridge. The Hood Canal Bridge in Washington needs replacing and it's not even 50 years old (and did I mention it sank in 1979? Oops.)

-It would still need to be maintained by an army of workers who can strike just as easily as ferry workers can.

-The toll would be astronomical. Flying may be a cheaper option. The government simply doesn't have this money to spend. It would have to be privately financed and investors would need at least a 15% return on such a high risk construction project.

-This would not be a scenic trip. Long bridges like this have high walls to prevent driver fatigue and distraction. It would be like 45 minutes in a parking garage at highway speeds.

-Winter. Imagine plowing a bridge of this length every snowfall.

There are more but I'll stop here.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

I still say my rail tunnel concept through the San Juans is perfectly viable, assuming the cash/motivation are there. In a hundred years...we'll see.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

I also think Victoria could just become a suburb of Vancouver if there were a road link.

Or vice versa.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

Every few months another dumb fixed link thread appears on Skyscraper Page. Here's the bottom line on why it will NEVER happen:

-Too deep for a regular bridge or tunnel. Too much ocean traffic and unpredictable weather for a floating bridge. The Hood Canal Bridge in Washington needs replacing and it's not even 50 years old (and did I mention it sank in 1979? Oops.)

-It would still need to be maintained by an army of workers who can strike just as easily as ferry workers can.

-The toll would be astronomical. Flying may be a cheaper option. The government simply doesn't have this money to spend. It would have to be privately financed and investors would need at least a 15% return on such a high risk construction project.

-This would not be a scenic trip. Long bridges like this have high walls to prevent driver fatigue and distraction. It would be like 45 minutes in a parking garage at highway speeds.

-Winter. Imagine plowing a bridge of this length every snowfall.

There are more but I'll stop here.

All those and the fact that it would be complete suicidal lunacy for the politician in power to take this on.

I don't like to say things like this with such resoluteness, but this will never, ever happen in our lifetime.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

And by strange coincidence - this story in today's TC:

Ferry CEO offers to survey Gabriola residents on bridge
Fixed-link toll bridge concept renews old debate pitting pastoral lifestyle against convenience
Jonathan Fowlie, Canwest News Service
Published: Saturday, June 28, 2008

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

Best part of article, imo, were these sound bites from André Lemieux, "chair of the Gabriola Ferry Advisory Committee, [who] bristled even at the mention of reopening the bridge debate."

Lemieux articulated (in miniature) some of the arguments you hear from recent Victorians:

When asked why the issue is so sensitive, Lemieux said people become extremely attached to their island lifestyle, and see it in jeopardy if getting there becomes too easy.

"People have moved to Gabriola for a way of life. That's their issue -- I'm not saying it's my point of view," he said. "They come over here and they don't want to have a bridge, because if they do their way of life will be the same as what they left."

You know, if that's the case then they can't complain about the ferry rates. You can't have it both ways: splendid isolation (and the privileged exaltation that brings) and cheap access.

Now, as for Victoria: I don't think we can afford "splendid isolation" in a networked, interconnected, global world. So, while I understand the technical impediments to a fixed link for Victoria, I would never support the idea that we live "on an island" because we need to stay "away from it all."

BTW, interesting, too, that it's the price of oil that drove Hahn to offering to undertake this survey of Gabriola residents.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

Poor england just became a suburb of europe after they built the chunnel.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

^yeah, suckers.

So as the population grows, are we going to keep spending billions on new ferries? Eventually building and operating such behemoths will be as costly as building some form of a fixed link. Whether the time comes in 50 years or 250, it's irresponsible for us to say it will never happen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

Brings to mind the famous Victorian news headline, "Continent cut off by storm.":)
Vancouverites would never go for a fixed link.
No way they want to be contaminated by hairy, plaid-shirted, Birkenstock-wearing hordes from Vanisle. :eek:
And those are just the women!

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

^yeah, suckers.

So as the population grows, are we going to keep spending billions on new ferries? Eventually building and operating such behemoths will be as costly as building some form of a fixed link. Whether the time comes in 50 years or 250, it's irresponsible for us to say it will never happen.

If we're still on this forum in 50 years and they build one, Mike I will buy you a car. In our lifetime, we will never see one. I'm pretty damn sure of this.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

Exactly. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. No one is going to commute if the cost is $50 each way daily. That's $2200 per month for a daily commuter.

Price the link correctly and we are fine.

#17 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

If we're still on this forum in 50 years and they build one, Mike I will buy you a car. In our lifetime, we will never see one. I'm pretty damn sure of this.

Not from Swartz Bay to Tsawassen anyway.... on the Skyscraperpage.com thread about this some guy known as "amor de cosmos" posted some stuff about the CPR's fixed-link ideas from the 1870s:
http://forum.skyscra...44s#post3630844
http://forum.skyscra...593#post3631593
http://forum.skyscra...792#post3635792
& a map here:
http://forum.skyscra...011#post3640011

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

I'll hold you to that!

But I still think it's irresponsible for us to say it will never happen. Society is too concerned with the present to think ahead into the future so we have a difficult time thinking beyond 50 years. Hell, 150 years ago there was no Victoria and no Vancouver to speak of. In 150 years who knows what will become of southwest BC and the sorts of infrastructure requirements the region will have.

Below is a map aastra posted on SkyscraperPage (in one of the links Amor posted above). Seems like a reasonable fixed link to the island, don't you think?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

Way too much border crossing nightmares to build that bridge. In europe they can do stuff like that but we'd have to have some sort of terrifying union or very strong agreement with the US to really build a link like that. For pure geography that's a reasonable path (if we had the future-engineering to build it) but politically it would be impossible.

#20 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

No worries, it will all be USA eventually.
We have what they need and they won't be shy about "faire le necessaire".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users