[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2305 replies to this topic

#1301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,630 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

Daytime lights are extremely helpful for drivers.

What isn't helpful are incredibly bright bicycle lights. They sort of defeat the purpose.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1302 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

I think the more tools at your disposal the safer you will be. Being a former professional driver and with some track experience etc, all I can say is even at the track everyone drives like the other guy is going to do something unexpected.

Riding a bike I would want to amplify my presence as much as possible, whether hi-vis clothing or flashing rear lights....but for crying out loud, dont be a douchebag and aim that super bright white strobe light in my face!!! 

• sebberry likes this

#1303 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

My mum grew up in England during WWII. She got a ticket from a bobby for not having lights, and that was way back then. Don't they still make lights that come on when you pedal?

Rechargeable batteries should be able to take care of that need.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1304 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Drivers, is there a change in perception when approaching a cyclist running lights and high vis gear?  Does seeing a well prepared cyclist who is making an effort to be as visible as possible change they way you view and approach them... even if they are wearing spandex?

#1305 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

Daytime - rear blinking red, no front light.  Low light/night time - rear blinking red, front light that's solid white, and monkey lights on the front tire.

Monkey lights?  Whut's dat?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1306 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

Rechargeable batteries should be able to take care of that need.

Theres a lot to be said for the convenience of just getting on, peddling, and presto the lights turn on. There are some bikes with that built in, but not many. It can be annoying to deal with recharging bike lights, changing back light batteries, turning them on and off etc. Needs to be like a car, where you don't need to worry about it or do anything unless a bulb goes out.

#1307 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

Theres a lot to be said for the convenience of just getting on, peddling, and presto the lights turn on. There are some bikes with that built in, but not many. It can be annoying to deal with recharging bike lights, changing back light batteries, turning them on and off etc. Needs to be like a car, where you don't need to worry about it or do anything unless a bulb goes out.

We had this set-up when we were kids.

Best-Dynamo-Light-for-Your-Bicycle.jpg

Seemed it got into the spokes a lot though.  And when you were stopped, say at a traffic light, you had no light.

• Rob Randall and rjag like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1308 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

Oh, we had the Wonderlight too!

Wonder+Light+1.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

#1309 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Needs to be like a car, where you don't need to worry about it or do anything unless a bulb goes out.

So... get a car? :P 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1310 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

Drivers, is there a change in perception when approaching a cyclist running lights and high vis gear?  Does seeing a well prepared cyclist who is making an effort to be as visible as possible change they way you view and approach them... even if they are wearing spandex?

I think so, at least for me it does.  I'll often remark to myself if I see a cyclist using lights during the day. 

When the sun is low on the horizon and in my eyes, having a light on the front of your bike could be a matter of life or death if I can't see you coming when I make a turn.  When it's rainy and my mirrors are covered in rain-dirt/road grime and I'm relying on it to see if a cyclist is coming down the bike lane, having a light might be the only thing I can see clearly in the mirror. 

• Mr.B likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1311 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

I saw some neat lights at London Drugs last year. They were like a string of sausages and you could wind them around your handlebars or through your spokes I imagine. I thought they would be great in the dark.

#1312 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Oh, we had the Wonderlight too!

haha... these are great, and l may not be of your vintage ;) to have run such setups, but l do remember running lights that were about the size of a brick and burned through D cell batteries in what seemed like minutes! ...who doesn't remember the sad warm glow of a dying battery on an incandescent bulb? :)

Thankfully, we have much better options today.  There are a few bike brands now selling specific DRL bike lights, about the size of a 1inch cube, USB rechargeable, built purely for visibility with light sensors, variable flash/solid light patterns, high run times AND are only about $40 per light... a very approachable price for any user.

#1313 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

I think so, at least for me it does.  I'll often remark to myself if I see a cyclist using lights during the day. 

When the sun is low on the horizon and in my eyes, having a light on the front of your bike could be a matter of life or death if I can't see you coming when I make a turn.  When it's rainy and my mirrors are covered in rain-dirt/road grime and I'm relying on it to see if a cyclist is coming down the bike lane, having a light might be the only thing I can see clearly in the mirror. 

Glad to hear... a big part of the problem, as anyone who has read any bike related thread knows, is perception... if a driver approaches me and doesn't just default to 'spandex = d-bag', but maybe they see my light well before they judge me by my outfit, and make a choice to give me a little room because l'm making an effort to be seen... that's a win.  

Agreed on the front DRL... ran into a few occasions this weekend were a front light might have helped drivers see me... even though l was out mid-day, full sun on a quiet road in Saanich.  Front DRL's on the 'to buy' list now.

#1314 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Why can't bikes be painted with some sort of reflective paint? Would that help with visibility? Many times I've been startled while driving (and walking!)  by an all-black cyclist with no lights nor reflectors. Could tiny reflectors be imbedded in the frame?

#1315 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

Why can't bikes be painted with some sort of reflective paint? Would that help with visibility? Many times I've been startled while driving (and walking!)  by an all-black cyclist with no lights nor reflectors. Could tiny reflectors be imbedded in the frame?

As soon as all cars are painted with reflective paint I'm good with you doing my bike.

#1316 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

As soon as all cars are painted with reflective paint I'm good with you doing my bike.

Lights on all 4 corners plus DRL's not good enough for your weak eyes? Eat more carrots 🥕

#1317 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

Lights on all 4 corners plus DRL's not good enough for your weak eyes? Eat more carrots

They're fine as is.  As are how bikes are painted.  Yes they need lights in low light/night time conditions and some people don't do that.

But IMO the worst part about cycling is the absolutely horrid attire many of us wear.  I try and bike in normal clothing.  Go out on a bike ride with 15 people though and it's a vomited neon jungle.

• rjag likes this

#1318 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

They're fine as is.  As are how bikes are painted.  Yes they need lights in low light/night time conditions and some people don't do that.

But IMO the worst part about cycling is the absolutely horrid attire many of us wear.  I try and bike in normal clothing.  Go out on a bike ride with 15 people though and it's a vomited neon jungle.

Have to concur, all that neon is either too many episodes of Miami Vice, or maybe they want to mate with a parrot.

#1319 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

Can we rename this something less offensive? VV has a real problem with terrible thread titles. I suggest "General bike discussion" and "Bike lanes and other bike infrastructure" for the other thread.

#1320 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

I was being facetious.  Nparker is right, this is a duplicate thread and should be closed off.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users