Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#1881 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

Double that no sense for a tourist town full of visitors every year - when pandemics aren't a concern that is.

We have really had them since the first lanes went in.  Why is it confusing now?

• Brayvehart likes this

#1882 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:13 AM

Honestly while I agree ICBC should define them somewhere I don't get what's dangerous about not knowing what these markings mean.

From cyclist's perspective: they'd either get off their bike and walk it which will cause a slight delay but nothing major or ride through assuming they're breaking the law when they aren't.

From a driver's perspective: you'll think the cyclist broke the law but since as people like mentioning in this thread apparently cyclists never follow rules you should be anticipating that anyway.

From a pedestrian's perspective: Likely doesn't matter? Every instance I've seen of these in this thread and that I can think of seeing in person there shouldn't be pedestrians anyway. If there is spots they surround a crosswalk then again, apparently cyclists never follow the rules so you should be anticipating one will ride through anyway.

Every example in this thread they're clearly part of the bike lane so why are drivers concerned? Are they confused when turning onto Douglas behind a bus and the bus crosses over the solid white line telling cards not to enter the bus lane? 

• Brayvehart likes this

#1883 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:58 PM

Twice of late, the Vancouver mess has been raised by someone I just met in conversation. As much as some Spandex Evangelicals might see someone like me as a bike-hater, when the issue comes up with people I meet, they are way more incensed about it than I am. My take on the whole thing is a moderate one, apparently.

("Then why use a term like Spandex Evangelicals?" Well, a. Its funny and b. Some of these people are real tools, you'd have to admit. ;)
  • Nparker likes this

#1884 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:27 PM

Spandex Evangelicals = Spangelicals?

#1885 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:52 PM

Twice of late, the Vancouver mess has been raised by someone I just met in conversation. As much as some Spandex Evangelicals might see someone like me as a bike-hater, when the issue comes up with people I meet, they are way more incensed about it than I am. My take on the whole thing is a moderate one, apparently.

("Then why use a term like Spandex Evangelicals?" Well, a. Its funny and b. Some of these people are real tools, you'd have to admit. ;)

Still in the middle of construction...  Why do we complain when building is occurring?  I guess that's why couples fight during reno's?

• Brayvehart likes this

#1886 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

Still in the middle of construction...  

Unless the finished project involves tearing out everything constructed so far, I don't see how much improvement can be expected.

#1887 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

What is the purpose of that pointed bit of curb near the corner of Vancouver and Yates, but on Vancouver. It's like a strange triangle that juts out into the road. I've only see it from afar as I was driving on View...since I can't get up Vancouver any longer, lol. 

#1888 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:35 PM

What is the purpose of that pointed bit of curb near the corner of Vancouver and Yates, but on Vancouver. It's like a strange triangle that juts out into the road. I've only see it from afar as I was driving on View...since I can't get up Vancouver any longer, lol. 

I only really got a drive-by look as well, but i think it's intended to function like a curb extension, which shortens the distance a pedestrian has to cross and also causes drivers to have to slow down more to make the turn, but modified to provide protected storage for cyclists and to allow them to pass through.

There's something similar on the northwest corner of Pandora / Wharf.... (at least, i think it's similar; again, just had a quick look)

wharf at pandora.PNG

#1889 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

Spandex Evangelicals = Spangelicals?

I've always heard the term as "Spandex Mafia", i'm not sure which i like better....

One implies a sinister intent, the other a religious zealotry.... I think it's a bit of both, really :)

• rmpeers and Brayvehart like this

#1890 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:49 PM

The triangle curb is further recessed from the intersection and is not a storage island for cyclists waiting at the light like at Pandora and Wharf.

It really is just a buffer space as the vehicle lane transitions from having parking spaces mid block to being directly alongside the bike lane. I imagine that bike lockup stands will be installed in the space similar to similar buffers on the Fort St lane.

#1891 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:50 PM

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.15.10 PM.jpg

#1892 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:54 PM

It's weird. Maybe it makes more sense when cars are parked there but if you're biking northbound on Vancouver when you hit Yates it spits you out into the path of the cars coming behind you. I'll try it a few more times and see if I can determine the logic here.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1893 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

There isn't a 50 meter section of the Vancouver Street redesign that has any intuitive flow or doesn't feel like it was designed by a blind madman.

• mbjj and rmpeers like this

#1894 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:14 PM

The triangle curb is further recessed from the intersection and is not a storage island for cyclists waiting at the light like at Pandora and Wharf.

It really is just a buffer space as the vehicle lane transitions from having parking spaces mid block to being directly alongside the bike lane. I imagine that bike lockup stands will be installed in the space similar to similar buffers on the Fort St lane.

Ah, i had the wrong 'triangle'...  Have the parking line markings been installed yet?  If not, i can see how that buffer island transition would be jarring since the northbound lane would essentially be shrinking from a very wide lane to a pretty narrow one. Proper lane markings are needed to show drivers where the lane actually is, and vehicles parked there will definitely help. There's a already few other similar designs like this on Pandora and Fort that drivers seem to have gotten used to.

Edited by Rex Waverly, 07 January 2021 - 11:24 PM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1895 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:23 PM

It's weird. Maybe it makes more sense when cars are parked there but if you're biking northbound on Vancouver when you hit Yates it spits you out into the path of the cars coming behind you. I'll try it a few more times and see if I can determine the logic here.

....i'm a bit confused by this, it's supposed to be a protected bike lane both north and south of Yates so theoretically you should never have to ride with traffic.  

From the design online, the protected lanes should be continuous in both directions from Meares to north of Pandora.

#1896 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:00 AM

Is the block between Pandora and Johnson closing to traffic? Or did I imagine that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1897 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:40 AM

There isn't a 50 meter section of the Vancouver Street redesign that has any intuitive flow or doesn't feel like it was designed by a blind madman.

My daughter was talking to her cycling co-worker. She hates the whole of Vancouver St. now and thinks it's dumb. Likely won't use it.

#1898 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:07 AM

Is the block between Pandora and Johnson closing to traffic? Or did I imagine that?

Kind of; northbound traffic is blocked at Pandora. Northbound traffic can still travel north of Johnson but have to turn right onto that frontage road south of the Pandora green space.

Southbound through traffic is still permitted.

• Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#1899 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

observing far more traffic now on Quadra between Fairfield and Fort. Lot more chances being taken, more pedestrian vehicle interaction happening. The playground is in a vulnerable position now they have increased the traffic there. I'm sure its all in the plan to increase the traffic and create a more dangerous situation so they can ride in to the rescue and solve the problem they created. 

Blocking Vancouver from Fairfield to Fort was a stupid decision. We will see this amplified once they block Richardson. I will bet there is going to be a serious unnecessary incident on Fairfield at either of the schools or at Thrifty's. And unfortunately Quadra is going to see an increase as well

The anti-car zealots are just so focused on this they hide behind the skirts of 'vulnerable users' to provide a solution to a non existent problem which in turn creates a problem elsewhere that as a result, just look at Wharf. 

How many incidents involving vehicles and cyclists/pedestrians on those 2 roads have there been in the last 5 years? its literally statistical noise  BC - Crashes involving Cyclists- - Insurance Corporation of British Columbia | Tableau Public but they would have you believe its about safety...But any resultant incident wont be on their heads...because they take their cue from the Mayor who has surrounded her self with these sycophants and they all live in a state of refusing any responsibility for their actions

• Mike K. likes this

#1900 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

Kind of; northbound traffic is blocked at Pandora. Northbound traffic can still travel north of Johnson but have to turn right onto that frontage road south of the Pandora green space.

Southbound through traffic is still permitted.

how do the delivery trucks get in and out of save on there?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users