#162 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

deleted

Not before it was emailed in the thread reply notification :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#163 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

Every time I drive by the arena and there is something going on, crowds of people, etc.. I always wonder what the event is.

I keep looking up at the video billboard out front, but it never mentions what the event of the evening is, just keeps displaying ads and TC headlines.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

It's Cirque's Dralion all weekend.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#165 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

It's Cirque's Dralion all weekend.

See, what would I do without this place?:P

#166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

A video sign has been installed along Quadra just north of Hillside for the import/export store beside San Remo. It's about 1.5 meters across and 1 meter tall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#167 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

Advertising and signage are a confusing matter in Victoria.

City Hall allowed the installation of an advertising video billboard at the arena and they also posted dozens of "Vote Yes" signs on parking kiosks across downtown.

This advertising debate is on again with thoughts of renaming the Victoria Confererence Centre.

I wonder about the value of the additional revenue gathered if now you end up calling it something like the Save on Foods Conference Palace, and you plaster the name over the prominent architectural features of the building.

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Alpine Disposal Conference Centre. Imagine if Stu Young muscled his way in with that name!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Alpine Disposal Conference Centre. Imagine if Stu Young muscled his way in with that name!

That's on par with calling it the Traveller's Inn Conference Centre or... the "Victoria Conference Centre presented by Wharfside Seafood Grille" ;)

Victoria has missed out once on a great naming rights opportunity (Save-On-Foods? Really?). If the conference centre can manage to attract a reasonably big Canadian name (like a telecom, a bank, etc.), I think that will send a message about not only the health of the local economy but also the prestige of the city.

The lower profile the brand on the building, the more backwoods the city looks. Victoria can definitely do better.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#170 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Saanich Commonwealth Pool has a 19' x 9' screen apparently:

** PDF http://www.immediate...lthMEDIAKIT.pdf
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#171 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

This image was shot by VHF and posted to the concerts thread, but I think we should continue the discussion on the City's advertising and signage policies in this thread.

So what's the story here? Why does the Royal BC Museum get to erect massive ads marketing its theater and exhibits, now the Royal Theater erects a massive sign, meanwhile Telus was forced to remove it's sign back in 2010 because council believed it was too large?

Know it all.

#172 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

^I thought the Musuem had applied and received an exemption from the bylaw where Telus did not.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#173 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think this requires a call to city hall :)

#174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

^I thought the Musuem had applied and received an exemption from the bylaw where Telus did not.

From this article dated December 28, 2010.

City bylaw officer Andrew Dolan says Telus made a variance application but the request was turned down as council felt the sign was too large. Telus has since made another variance application which is currently making its way through City Hall.

Looks like Telus' application was rejected despite approaching the City for a permit.

Know it all.

#175 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Today we spotted Burma Shave style signs along Craigflower saying I'm Working For Chris. Any ideas what this is about
Pieta VanDyke

#176 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,178 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

There is a Chris Ricketts running for the BC Liberals in Esquimalt Royal Roads in the Spring Election.

Could campaigning be starting now?

#177 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

^If so, a better slogan would be "Walk Tall With Ricketts".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#178 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,178 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

^ My favorite was "Aim High, Vote Lowe."

#179 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

^ My favorite was "Aim High, Vote Lowe."

I still have one of those signs.

#180 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Aim High, vote Lowe is a classic! One of the best slogans ever! It actually helped him get elected.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users