Photo

Signage, advertising and video billboards in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#201 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

occasionally the city by law officer cruises the streets of YYJ and threatens the retailers with fines if they are still out the next time they come by. What I love is that retailers go for the "cheaper" locations and then do whatever they can to get exposure in the "high traffic" location close by. I empathize with a business person look at a construction site all day every day and being concerned not enough people know where you are. Not too sure what the answer is, but the signs become noise we just ignore as we walk the mean streets of Victoria

#202 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

I can't say that I ever pay too much attention to sandwich board type signs.

Although I did take notice of one that made me chuckle on Fort St the other day. The business is called "Foxy Box"...I'll let you figure out what they do there. :)

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,599 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

^ha! VHF's friend's roommate runs that place. Cute name.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Never saw that sign but assuming its a place for hair waxing/ brazilians?

#205 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Never saw that sign but assuming its a place for hair waxing/ brazilians?

Bingo!

#206 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I can't say that I ever pay too much attention to sandwich board type signs.

Although I did take notice of one that made me chuckle on Fort St the other day. The business is called "Foxy Box"...I'll let you figure out what they do there. :)

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#207 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

The north-facing side of the Memorial Centre sign has been broken for a few weeks.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#208 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

^Have they tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

Amazing. We've already discussed how difficult it is to actually know what's currently playing at the arena thanks to their bylaw-busting rotating advertising messages. Now you're saying it's half as useful? So either (A) SOFMA is charging full ad rates despite a sign that's been broken for weeks, or (B) despite lost ad revenue they still aren't able to afford a technician to repair it. Seriously, doesn't that thing run off a simple $300 desktop Windows computer?

I also note the message sign outside the old Ingy Hotel/London Arms on Douglas has been malfunctioning for a couple of years. Perhaps the world's scientists can get together to solve this impossible issue of how to fix broken flashing light bulbs.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#209 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

I also note the message sign outside the old Ingy Hotel/London Arms on Douglas has been malfunctioning for a couple of years. Perhaps the world's scientists can get together to solve this impossible issue of how to fix broken flashing light bulbs.

I also note the upper signs for London Arms and Manhattan the Club at that location are both still installed there, despite their closure in 2008.

#210 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

^Yes, I think it's going to beat the record belonging to "PEDEN HAY AND GRAIN" for largest ratio between time business was functioning to time sign was displayed.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#211 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

The north-facing side of the Memorial Centre sign has been broken for a few weeks.

Saw a Blue Screen of Death on it once and was desperately sorry that I had been a good citizen and left my phone/camera tucked away in a bag, out of reach.

#212 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi,
This morning alone with my business license renewal, I saw an insert regarding the this new permit that is going to be in effect January 16, 2014. Here is the detail from city website: http://www.victoria....n-permits.html 

I am amazed that City of Victoria has came up with a new money grabbing scam. Effective Jan-16-2014, Sandwich board placed on "public" area will be requiring a yearly permit, plus a decal visibly affixed to the portable sign! Wow! Just like a license plate, except it is not from ICBC, but from City of Victoria. Wait it gets better: 1st time application is $165, every year renewal is $135; AND the applicant MUST have valid General Liability Insurance of $2M or greater ... Wondering which genius came up with this idea?!

Any comments?
  • JHHL likes this

#213 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

This morning alone with my business license renewal, I saw an insert regarding the this new permit that is going to be in effect January 16, 2014. Here is the detail from city website: http://www.victoria....n-permits.html 

I am amazed that City of Victoria has came up with a new money grabbing scam. Effective Jan-16-2014, Sandwich board placed on "public" area will be requiring a yearly permit, plus a decal visibly affixed to the portable sign! Wow! Just like a license plate, except it is not from ICBC, but from City of Victoria. Wait it gets better: 1st time application is $165, every year renewal is $135; AND the applicant MUST have valid General Liability Insurance of $2M or greater ... Wondering which genius came up with this idea?!

Any comments?

Signs often block the public right of way and make it harder to use? A lovely Toronto example: http://spacing.ca/to...s-get-creative/

• Matt R. likes this

#214 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

My office portable sign is on the lawn, so it is most likely not blocking anybody, yet my company has to start paying for it next year. I just feel it is a very BS charge. I am finding from property management company if the lawn area belongs to Strata common property or city public area?portable sign.png

#215 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Any business should have at least that liability insurance anyways.

The fee might be a little high, but I can see the benefits of this helping curb too many of these popping up downtown...

#216 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

We have discussed this topic elsewhere: Signage advertising and video billboards in victoria

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#217 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

^ ^ ^ That sign is on public right-of way for sure.

#218 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

I am wondering what is going to happen to real estate agents with their open house sign, also are the signs put up during election exempt form the permit?

#219 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

I am wondering what is going to happen to real estate agents with their open house sign, also are the signs put up during election exempt form the permit?

Election signs are definitely exempt.   Open House signs will likely be complaint-driven and no bylaw officer works weekends anyway, when most are.

#220 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Election signs are definitely exempt.   Open House signs will likely be complaint-driven and no bylaw officer works weekends anyway, when most are.

Open House signs are usually the worst, as they often end up blocking sidewalks, bike lanes or both. Personally if I see a sign blocking a sidewalk or bike lane, I will neatly fold it up and place it on the grassy boulevard where it isn't visible from the road. If a realtor cannot place nice with the public realm then they should lose the benefit of using said public realm.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users