328 replies to this topic

#241 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

10001579_789121771107497_258642856084020

Perhaps it's a sign that the city should sell advertising on the bike racks. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#242 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

I agree with Mike and Jared on the subject of those bikes. The racks aren't provided for that purpose, and in the photo posted, the space available for people to lock up their bikes temporarily has been reduced by 50 percent by a private business.

#243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

The City of Victoria has stated that they are aware of the orange bicycles and is looking into the situation. They are also requesting that derelict bicycle complaints be submitted to parkingservices@victoria.ca with a location and photo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#244 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

Now that most parking meters are gone, bike parking is at a premium, especially in nice weather like this when more cyclists are downtown. Especially if you have a U-lock and can't use a tree or lamp standard. Are these orange bikes still around? I didn't see one today.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#245 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Neither have I. Perhaps commissionaires were asked to radio in wherever they saw them and they were quickly dealt with.

On another note betweem Number 10 Architecture and Saffron Bistro on Store Street a hair salon called Tango is moving in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#246 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Also what gives this orange theory the right to basically set up a permanent tent on Vancouver St. ? They are there every day hawking their business to anyone who passes by.  I assume they had to pay for a permit to take that chunk of grass?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:45 AM

Also what gives this orange theory the right to basically set up a permanent tent on Vancouver St. ? They are there every day hawking their business to anyone who passes by.  I assume they had to pay for a permit to take that chunk of grass?

It's not permanent, it's for a few hours each day.   I don't know, those ambush charity solicitors can set up on public property and hawk their wares, is this much different?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#248 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

The campaign is clearly working.

#249 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

It's not permanent, it's for a few hours each day.   I don't know, those ambush charity solicitors can set up on public property and hawk their wares, is this much different?

They have a permit from the city and aren't allowed to setup anything on city property (just themselves, basically).

#250 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

And speaking of the hawkers they're nowhere to be seen this year. Is this it for them?

Know it all.

#251 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

If there were bikini clad nice looking women with breasts overflowing from tops that were too small and a wet T-shirt contest along with giveaways of gift certificates under trhat orange tent ....my guess ids that there wouldnt be any whiners on here complaining about it.

#252 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

What a bunch of buzzkills...

A new business opens up downtown and Victorians complain about their unique guerrilla marketing campaign. Oh my goodness they chained bicycles to bicycle racks...*gasp*!

Calling that tent permanent is laughable, to say the least. What gives them the right to advertise their business? I dunno, freedom?

Should we chase the Liberty Tax lady away because she advertises in public?

I swear some of you guys must call the city every time you see an advertisement taped to a telephone pole.

#253 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

And speaking of the hawkers they're nowhere to be seen this year. Is this it for them?

They have an office in my building and they advertise daily for workers here.  I think it's 13/hr. after training period.  Who knows, maybe they can't find people to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ20mycLKVo

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

What a bunch of buzzkills...

A new business opens up downtown and Victorians complain about their unique guerrilla marketing campaign. Oh my goodness they chained bicycles to bicycle racks...*gasp*!

Give us one sound reason why tax payers should support a private business' guerilla marketing campaign?

Know it all.

#255 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Give us one sound reason why tax payers should support a private business' guerilla marketing campaign?

How exactly are taxpayers supporting their marketing campaign?

#256 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

How exactly are taxpayers supporting their marketing campaign?

Bike racks and public space are not free to build or maintain. Hence how taxpayers are supporting them.

#257 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Bike racks and public space are not free to build or maintain. Hence how taxpayers are supporting them.

But they are free to use.  It's hard to imagine the city is building more racks because so many spots are full of guerilla marketing bikes.

I find the poster cylinders more offensive.  They are free, but one company is responsible for 98% of the posters on them, and the City even comes and cleans up the old ones every Monday morning for them so they can start fresh.

#258 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

^ Exactly.

The bike racks are free to use by anyone who wants to park a bicycle.

That would be like saying you couldn't park your company work truck with wordmark downtown because you are using public resources (the street or parkade) to advertise.

Who is to say Orange Theory didn't intend on removing the bicycles from said bike racks in a reasonable time period?

Habit Coffee and Metropol Printing have their own branded bicycles parked outside their businesses ON THE SIDEWALK! OMG, that's a public space which is not free to build or maintain! Impound them! Cut the locks! Fine!

#259 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

^ Exactly.

The bike racks are free to use by anyone who wants to park a bicycle.

That would be like saying you couldn't park your company work truck with wordmark downtown because you are using public resources (the street or parkade) to advertise.

Who is to say Orange Theory didn't intend on removing the bicycles from said bike racks in a reasonable time period?

Habit Coffee and Metropol Printing have their own branded bicycles parked outside their businesses ON THE SIDEWALK! OMG, that's a public space which is not free to build or maintain! Impound them! Cut the locks! Fine!

You can park your company work truck anywhere you want but you have to pay to park and/or receive a ticket and/or move your vehicle when the time restriction kicks in. There's no issue there.

A derelict bike is a derelict bike. The one photo posted here appeared to show a bicycle that was un-ridable due to barely inflated tires. That's a derelict bike and the tax payer will have to pay to remove it and dispose of it. And this is the issue.

Metropol uses their bike throughout the day to deliver materials. They do not chain this bicycle to a pole for the sole purpose of marketing their business. If Habit is marketing their business by parking a bike on the sidewalk and its location impedes pedestrians then yes, that bike should be removed.

As for poles and the advertisements on them, this is a designated space for posting advertisements. It is an accepted practice that does not impede in any way the use of a piece of public infrastructure.

But they are free to use.  It's hard to imagine the city is building more racks because so many spots are full of guerilla marketing bikes.

First of all tax payers would never agree to this. Once a few businesses received bills from the City to pay for the removal of the guerilla bikes we'd see this practice end faster than a council session a week before Christmas.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#260 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

A derelict bike is a derelict bike. The one photo posted here appeared to show a bicycle that was un-ridable due to barely inflated tires. That's a derelict bike and the tax payer will have to pay to remove it and dispose of it. And this is the issue.

Do we know that the city has had to remove any Orange Theory bicycles? If not, than the taxpayer has not paid to remove and dispose of anything.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users