Good news from Today's TC.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

Rob Reid's running?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

Awesome news!

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

Rob Reid's running?

No pun intended?

#5 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:26 AM

Oh he totally intended it. Don't give him the satisfaction of a /groan. It will go to his head.
:P

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

He's a shoe-in unless he comes unglued.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

Please jog my memory: is he well-heeled or will his campaign be operating on a shoestring?

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Some of the best-run campaigns can hit the wall if they get off on the wrong footing, even if you are the perceived front-runner.

(4)

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

Very true. There are many hurdles to overcome along the way.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

If you come out of the starting blocks with a good jump, you can expect to have the potential to walk away with victory in the long run though.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

But if he get's tongue-tied or unlaced, he'll get off track. Reid will go toe-to-toe with the other candidates in the hope that he'll last. If he gets off to a blistering start Rob will be the sole candidate with a chance to out-pace the others.

(8)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

I hate you guys!

:P

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

It's not a stretch to think he'd be a good fit on council. If anything, he'll force the other councillors to pull their socks up. Get them into shape, so to speak. But elections are like marathons. Will he be there at the finish line? Or is this just an exercise in futility?

#14 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

Well, he's a good guy, so we know he's not a heel...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

This has turned into a horrible grade 9 creative writing exercise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

Horrible?? I'm seeing some damn good work here.

#17 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

Rob was on CFAX this afternoon and OMG did he ever blow it (remember I like Rob too)!

After telling the TC yesterday that he would seek a position as councillor, now in his words he is waffling and 1/3 of him wants to run for mayor and 2/3 wants to "play it safe" and go for a councillor position.

After telling us that he wants to listen and seek opinions, he then goes on a 10 minute monologue where he tells the listener he doesn't understand 2/3rds of what they say in council meetings, has no agenda or policies, but feels he can get things done.

Rob was obviously nervous but holy smokes he is better to not say anything.

In fairness I only heard the first 15 minutes so maybe he got better but you need to get your lad ship shape there Louise.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

Council sessions and council debates can be confusing to the uninitiated so we shouldn't expect first time candidates to carry themselves like incumbents.

If anything, I think the radio stint shows Rob is a citizen of Victoria first, political hopeful second.

Know it all.

#19 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Funny how we make our impressions of politicans. People want someone who can run a successful business at the helm, and then end up judging him based on his public speaking. Do we want a slick mouthpiece? Or someone whose got a track record of building something good in the community?

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

Council sessions and council debates can be confusing to the uninitiated so we shouldn't expect first time candidates to carry themselves like incumbents.

If anything, I think the radio stint shows Rob is a citizen of Victoria first, political hopeful second.

I've been attending Council meetings fairly regularly for a couple of years. It can be incredibly confusing as they go by very fast sometimes. There's always a lot of discussion and negotiation by all the players in the days before an application comes before Committee of the Whole so everyone is way up to speed except for those of us in the audience.

Then it comes time to vote. They don't just vote yes or no. Someone might make a motion to decline. If no one supports that motion, someone might make a counter motion to support the proposal with certain conditions. Then that could fail and someone else makes a motion to support without conditions. Then they vote to support (or decline, or table) the proposal. So they either vote yes to say no or vote no to say yes or either to defer it to a later meeting and it all goes by in literally eight or nine seconds with the Councillors barely raising their hands so you have to jump out of your seat and quickly count the limp arms while you can. It can be baffling--and I've run two Boards and am a member of three committees, but because CotW is for Councillor information, not the public, it's a whole other world of complexity.

I didn't hear Reid's interview but talking on the radio can be pretty hairy if you've never done it before. A couple more segments and he'll be fine.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users