Rob Randall | Victoria | Council - VV Endorsed

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

I got all my peeps to vote for ya, but stangely, my peeps number few.

#62 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

I got all my peeps to vote for ya, but stangely, my peeps number few.

You never know - this is an open election, and while (as internet is my business internationally) I did not expect websites like VV, and many others, to make an impact locally...who knows, there might be some surprises.

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

This medium makes as much impact on readers as do other media outlets, albeit here it's a different demographic group.

When we had a list of candidates and election coverage in 2005 on SkyscraperPage.com's forum, it most certainly enticed new members to join and some felt that the information we had provided made them choose candidates they hadn't considered before.

As I write this, there are over 60 individuals viewing this political sub-forum, no doubt to read up on candidates and help make up their final candidate list.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

Why wouldn't websites like this make an impact? This medium makes as much impact on readers as do other media outlets, albeit here it's a different demographic group.

Mike, my assessment might have sounded a bit harsh - there was the largest take up and interest in 3rd party election and media websites in the recent federal election, and the result? The lowest turnout in history.

VV has done an incredible job in promoting issues and encouraging debate for these municipal elections, and by my count there are far more dedicated websites for candidates, issue related websites and blogs than previously.

I really hope all these efforts result in a higher turnout - but my gut has doubts. (19% turnout in Saanich last time is ridiculous)

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

I don't think the aim of websites like VV is to bring out substantial numbers of new voters. That's an entirely different issue that is far beyond the scope of VV and other media outlets. Those who care little for local politics or have no interest in municipal matters won't vote and there isn't much we can do about that.

Our aim is to educate individuals who have an interest in municipal politics and municipal going-ons and who wish to understand the candidates better and have access to unbiased information that can help them choose the right candidates to run their city.

Anyways, this is definitely not the thread to be discussing this in :) All eyes back on Rob.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

OK, my votes are in!

So I put my thing in the machine, then the guy said "OK, all tallied!" but then he immediately started servicing the machine like my ballot had wrecked it.

Anyway, I found myself having to leave one person off my list, as I guess I had 9 on my list for council. But the person I had to leave off, I voted for them for CRD director, so maybe that will help.

Good luck to all!

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

So I put my thing in the machine, then the guy said "OK, all tallied!" but then he immediately started servicing the machine like my ballot had wrecked it.

Maybe the machine is not calibrated to get such a right-wing vote.

#68 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

Uh oh. VHF is having a conversation with himself.

That's a bad sign.

#69 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

Well, I lost but it wasn't such a bad result. 35 candidates for eight seats and I got ninth place so that's a decent result.

Unlike last election there was a pretty sharp dropoff between eighth (Luton) and me. In a way that's good because if I had lost by 50 votes I'd be forever second guessing my campaign.

So thanks to all of you for your support. It is very humbling to know how many people had faith in me and thought I had what it takes to sit at the Council table. I congratulate our new Mayor-elect Dean Fortin and the winning Councillors.

I'd like to single out Charlayne Thornton-Joe for special congratulations. She topped the polls this time. I am so proud of her hard work and I think this vote vindicates her battle for social issues. She was given the burden of the Mayor's Task Force and defending the Ellice Street Shelter proposal in front of a hostile Burnside Gorge community meeting.

#70 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

I am sorry you won't be there Rob! You better be there next time!

#71 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

You were ninth!?
Oh man, I feel for you. Well, you ran a very strong and dedicated campaign and I will support you in the future. Where are you finding information about Victoria council number of votes / placements? I would like to see how everyone did.

#72 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

I was a Rob Reid's Frontrunners party and Pieta Van Dyke gave me an unofficial City Hall print out.

#73 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

I was a Rob Reid's Frontrunners party and Pieta Van Dyke gave me an unofficial City Hall print out.

----Dear Rob ------

Like Ron Cheapens said , stay in tune & keep in touch ...!

Like I said to you , you got the silver medal today buddy ..!
(and really , a lot of people liked what you have to say...!!!!!!!!! )

I liked what you had to say too ...

and filling out those endless surveys , DEFINATELY helped me understand you .

Expect me to be there to support you , when you take Mayor-Fortin up on his offer to work with you on the issues you both feel "are near & dear to your hart's " ...!

------ there is , Nothing like an Open-Council meeting on a Thursday Night --------

and I hope to see ya @ a few if those meetings in the future.
( same goes for all of you reading this )

ted... (rob was very cool , and he still is ...! )
and there is no way anybody can run away from that kind of reality...

why would you bother...?

;{-

Ps , of course I also extend the same offer to rob-randall as well,
LIKE he stood up , and had his ballot cast as well ...!

meaning , a good city council is one that listen's to it's citizens...!
a great city-council is one that has it's citizen's saying something to them , about it ...!

Hopefully , one thursday-night a month is enough to make our city better place to live ...

#74 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

Congrats Rob on running a good campaign. I would have been nice to see the voice of the downtown resident, but hey...

#75 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

Rob - do you have any idea where I placed.

(but if between 30 and 35 please don't tell me.:))

Sue

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:18 AM

I posted the unofficial early results in the other thread. I've been updating it so if you clicked early check it again.

#77 Beacon Hill

Beacon Hill
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:08 AM

I posted the unofficial early results in the other thread. I've been updating it so if you clicked early check it again.

I've never met you (or even seen you in person), but I've spent a fair bit of time reading about the election, looking at candidates' platforms, and following the discussions on this forum. It seems clear that you know the issues, are articulate, had a clear plan based on thoughtful analysis, are adept at working with others, and would have been a very impressive member of council. Thank you for running.

#78 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

I've never met you (or even seen you in person), but I've spent a fair bit of time reading about the election, looking at candidates' platforms, and following the discussions on this forum. It seems clear that you know the issues, are articulate, had a clear plan based on thoughtful analysis, are adept at working with others, and would have been a very impressive member of council. Thank you for running.

Very well put. My thoughts exactly - thanks Rob.

#79 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

Yes, thank you for running. It's a huge undertaking -- maybe you can consider this the dry-run or warm-up for next time!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#80 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

Yes, sorry that you didn't get in Rob. No offence to the other candidates, but you were the one person I was seriously cheering for. I hope this doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for the DRA, which I think is doing a great job.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users