E & N Rail Trail, Humpback Connector

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

^ Ya, it's not like we need a continuous trail from Victoria to Courtenay.  I mean, who is going to use the entire length, very few.   Bits here and there is fine.   I so rarely see people using the E&N trail in Langford.  The Goose, it's used lots in the very core, but is anyone really using it much past 6-Mile? 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

Maybe Tourism Vancouver Island could establish a trek that goes from Victoria to Courtenay, with a couple of night stops at Inns along the way, just off the trail.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

Maybe Tourism Vancouver Island could establish a trek that goes from Victoria to Courtenay, with a couple of night stops at Inns along the way, just off the trail.

They probably could, but what percentage of the travelling public can handle that type of a trek?  2%?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

It should be a trail all the way to the end. But what a cop out answer from Bruce. It's the railway arms that kill the trail development due to ridiculous costs.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#65 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:59 AM

They probably could, but what percentage of the travelling public can handle that type of a trek?  2%?

The purpose of such a trial would be bike tourism, which is a rapidly growing part of the industry and an excellent way to pull more tourist dollars into BC.

#66 splashflash

splashflash
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

Anecdote

I rode the former CNR Lake Cowichan Division biking pathway last spring. I was surprised to find that Americans had come to the Island specifically to ride on that trail. Whether they rode all the way up from Seattle on the former rail lines to Port Angeles to cross Strait to arrive, I cannot remember. But riding that specific leg of the former rail line, was the purpose of their trip.

#67 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

Anecdote

I rode the former CNR Lake Cowichan Division biking pathway last spring. I was surprised to find that Americans had come to the Island specifically to ride on that trail. Whether they rode all the way up from Seattle on the former rail lines to Port Angeles to cross Strait to arrive, I cannot remember. But riding that specific leg of the former rail line, was the purpose of their trip.

Yes the tourism angle is real and it's not a minor blip.  Many island cyclists go to Port Angeles for the same reason, including to Hurricane Ridge or the Olympic Discovery Trail.

#68 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

One sighting of the Virgin Mary on a perogie in Campbell River and there would be no shortage of pilgrims ready to hike up there. Seriously though, this is a growing niche of tourism. Retiring boomers are looking for these purpose-built holidays that includes hiking, but also some amenities.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#69 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

One sighting of the Virgin Mary on a perogie in Campbell River and there would be no shortage of pilgrims ready to hike up there. Seriously though, this is a growing niche of tourism. Retiring boomers are looking for these purpose-built holidays that includes hiking, but also some amenities.

With electric bikes you could bike from Parksville to Cathedral Grove in just over an hour, on a rail line trail.  Less if you removed the 32km/hr restrictor.

#70 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

I so rarely see people using the E&N trail in Langford. The Goose, it's used lots in the very core, but is anyone really using it much past 6-Mile?

The E&N trail in Langford is a bit unique since it's such udderly unhelpful for most potential users, particularly bikes. I wish they'd fix it but I'm sure they won't. The rest of the E&N is considerably busier, and the Atkins extension should be very popular for E&N and Goose users.

#71 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

Low density and car dependency means the regional trails won't get as much use in the boonies.

The E&N in Langford is a joke.  It ends at Dunford and Jacklin, has crazy chicanes at Peatt that I honestly could not get my cargo bike through, kitty corner crossings at two major intersections, and it inexplicably ends at Savory School in the middle of nowhere.  No connection to the Goose as of yet.  Langford is not a bike and walk town.  Sure there's lots of painted bike lanes, but when it takes you 3km to get from your house to the nearest place to get milk, coffee or booze, you get a car based culture.

#72 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

I think Langford is doing a good job with bike routes, and they are not finished.

They have a selection of maps on their website.

http://www.cityoflan...Bike Routes.pdf

IMG_2910.jpg

#73 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:36 PM

Wait this map claims there's a way to cross Hughway 1 from VMP over to big box land. Where is this? I've been taking my life in my hands using VMP and dodging cars

#74 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

The E&N trail in Langford is a bit unique since it's such udderly unhelpful for most potential users, particularly bikes. I wish they'd fix it but I'm sure they won't. 

Quit mooing about it.

• RFS and 57WestHills like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#75 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:54 AM

A section of the E&N Rail Trail between the railway crossing on Atkins Avenue and Savory School in Langford is open to the public.

Cyclists can now ride 13 kilometres continuously between Jacklin Road in Langford and Esquimalt Road in Victoria.

https://www.timescol...ford-1.24347749

"cycle"?  can't we walk on that trail?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2021 - 09:56 AM.

• Nparker, splashflash and todd like this

#76 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:07 AM

"cycle"?  can't we walk on that trail?

Lots of families out that way walking with kids and dogs etc.  The spandex elitists will stay on Atkins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users