Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1881 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

Of course I could be completely wrong, and the ship will actually go Victoria > Vancouver > Victoria > Alaska, but Vic > Van > Alaska > Vic > Van makes more sense to me....

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1882 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

^ I assume it means that each voyage has two possible departure ports and two potential arrival ports, with arrivals and departures overlapping.

July 30: Trip 1 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 0 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 1 pick up in Vancouver

August 10: Trip 1 drop off in Victoria, Trip 2 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 1 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 2 pick up in Vancouver

August 19: Trip 2 drop off in Victoria, Trip 3 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 2 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 3 pick up in Vancouver

August 28: Trip 3 drop off in Victoria, Trip 4 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 3 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 4 pick up in Vancouver

yes i think you have it right.

now i don't know with your first stop being vancouver will this option be all that popular?  maybe it still beats getting to seattle on your own to take a ship then getting off and staying in victoria at the end (which can be done now with advance arrangements).

i see the boat is here all day 9am to 9pm.  then it fgoes to vancouver for an 8am arrival and them a 5pm departure from vancouver.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#1883 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:14 PM

...now i don't know with your first stop being vancouver will this option be all that popular? 

If I didn't already have a European cruise booked for September 2020, I'd be looking into this.

#1884 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

I'd be looking at it if it wasn't Cunard lol

#1885 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

/\....Cunard IMO is fine as long as you know what you're in for, i.e. more of an old wold school 'liner' experience as opposed to the less formal "cruise". Cunard certainly is more formal, offers more 'culture'-oriented activities than does your typical Caribbean booze fest. That said not sure how much formality or culture I want to be exposed to on a trip where Nature is, or should be, the primary focus. I can always go to the Empress if I want a high tea....

#1886 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:41 PM

Cunard's shore excursions are by far the best however.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1887 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:45 PM

Cunard's shore excursions are by far the best however.

Really? Like their $49 'explore Victoria on foot for 2 hours' excursion?

https://www.cunard.c...ictoria on foot

Nothing like looking at excursions for your own town to see how crappy they are.

#1888 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

Their guides are always first rate, if there is a problem it is always resolved to your satisfaction.

I have had guides from other cruise lines where you could barely understand anything they were saying. If you ask a question they just give you a script answer, a lot of them are no more knowledgeable than you are.

• lanforod likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1889 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

Received a reminder from Expedia today about next year's Victoria departures.

victoria cruise.JPG

#1890 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:08 AM

Josh Leibowitz, Cunard’s senior vice-president for North America, said the four sailings will be immersed into Cunard’s 10-sailing Alaska schedule, offering a maximum of 100 passengers the chance to start and end a cruise in Victoria.

“We are really excited about that,” he said.

The harbour authority has set what it calls an aggressive goal of having a small or mid-sized cruise ship call Victoria home by 2020.

As a home port to one or two smaller cruise lines, Victoria could attract pre-and post-cruise tourism business and provide provisioning that could be worth $2 million per ship per excursion.

https://www.timescol...2020-1.23898601

i'm guessing they have not met their 2020 plan. cruise lines are already well into planning and indeed booking for 2020.

#1891 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

Or it could be Cunard testing if Victoria could be a home port?

“It’s an opportunity for Cunard to test the market, and we have a great opportunity to build up our capacity at the cruise terminal and also within the city to accept these types of home-porting operations,” she said.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

well they are starting with 100 spaces.  that makes sense because at some point they do have to sacrifice some revenue to get this going in the middle of a season. 

#1893 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

Only if they were selling out previously. I have no idea if that is the case.

#1894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

Only if they were selling out previously. I have no idea if that is the case.

true.  although i think cruises do sell 99.5% of their capacity sometimes through last minute discounts and standbys (72 hours to 7 days out). 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2019 - 08:40 AM.

#1895 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

I guess this would mean Canada Customs folks available for both the embarkation and disembarkation. Does that mean some form of extra cost? If so, who pays it?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1896 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

I guess this would mean Canada Customs folks available for both the embarkation and disembarkation. Does that mean some form of extra cost? If so, who pays it?

don't customs people have intervals of downtime now?  when they are not dealing with coho / clipper / kenmore arrivals and departures?  so if the cruise ship times it right.  hold on.  it's a vancouver/victoria departure.  do we need customs?   as long as we know nobody new got on the ship in alaska?  but we have some form of customs now for all the ships originating and ending in seattle that let off here for the day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2019 - 10:10 AM.

#1897 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

You have to go through some sort of customs clearance at every port along s cruise, don't you?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1898 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:50 AM

i thought we had a climate emergency in victoria?  shouldn't we be working to reduce or eliminate cruises?

https://www.timescol...year-1.23910010

More cruise ships coming to Victoria next year

naturally with that headline you'd think "interesting.  i wonder how many more than this year?".  of course the article never answers the most obvious question.  no worries i did the research.  this year was 250 visits and 640,000 passengers.

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority has confirmed a draft schedule for 2020, following the announcement that Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth will begin round-trip cruises to Alaska next season.

(which it already does now but i presume this article meant to say that the ship will make these round trips starting in victoria.)  

The 2020 cruise season is scheduled to begin on Friday, April 3, 2020 with the arrival of the Grand Princess and conclude on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020 with the arrival of the Ruby Princess. It is expected that 283 ship calls will bring 770,000 passengers to the region throughout the seven-month season.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2019 - 02:58 AM.

#1899 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:05 AM

^ We have a climate emergency and the Mayor supported suing the oil companies to pay for it, yet she is happy to take a free flight paid for in part by Suncor to attend a conference in Toronto that she fancies.

https://futurecities...a/partnerships/

The impact of climate change is only born by the plebes. The elites are not going to allow it to impact their lifestyles.

Edited by spanky123, 09 August 2019 - 07:06 AM.

#1900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:46 AM

So long as you order a vegetarian meal on your flight it evens out.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users