Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#3161 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:48 PM

When some people are getting anxious because they're feeling too claustrophobic and crowded at a frickin' wilderness park, you know it's a totally different ball game than what downtown Victoria experiences.

#3162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:14 PM

Old Town can become inundated by cruise passengers, it's very, very noticeable. You see thousands of people on the streets who wouldn't otherwise be there when three ships are in town. The vibe is definitely there.

Government Street becomes a hive of activity when the cruise ships are in town.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 2.13.30 PM.png

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:36 PM

The ONLY time Government Street gets particularly busy is when cruise ships are in port.
  • Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#3164 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:43 PM

The ONLY time Government Street gets particularly busy is when cruise ships are in port.

I can think of other days and events that create action along government...

#3165 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,039 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 03:17 PM

I worked downtown for a long, long time and you sure felt it when a ship was in.

#3166 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 January 2023 - 07:56 PM

A bunch of bus loads typically head to Butchart too. The cruise ships are a boon for vibrancy and business here. Be thankful the US didn’t seem to allow bypassing Victoria.
  • Nparker likes this

#3167 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 07:19 AM

That was a nail biter. But the process has begun, and it’s likely a matter of time before ships are given the option of stopping here or continuing on. A lot of it also hinges on how Victoria chooses to respond to a growth in visits.

In future, we may see more interest in stopping in Nanaimo and Campbell River, too. And how about Tofino?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3168 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:49 AM

In future, we may see more interest in stopping in Nanaimo and Campbell River, too. And how about Tofino?

In spite of a fancy terminal etc. that didn't happen in Nanaimo. I doubt it'll happen at all. 

Tofino would throw a fit, even if there were a place to dock or tender from.

• Nparker likes this

#3169 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

That was a nail biter. But the process has begun, and it’s likely a matter of time before ships are given the option of stopping here or continuing on. 

I'm not sure, it takes a lot to get support for a federal bill.  

Frankly, it doesn't even seem like the cruise companies care much.  At least not openly.

#3170 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:03 AM

...Tofino would throw a fit, even if there were a place to dock or tender from.

Not to mention that cruise ships do not sail along the west coast of Vancouver Island.

#3171 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:28 AM

So those ports might go from getting no ships to getting some ships? But wait a sec... wouldn't those small communities and their tiny downtowns be utterly overwhelmed by the sheer masses of cruise passengers? There's no opportunity for dispersal whatsoever. Or does that crisis narrative only apply to larger cities but not to very small ones?

#3172 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:31 AM

I think Butchart is the #1 shore excursion here, I'm sure the cruise lines like the money they make off it.  

Not sure any of those other towns have anything comparable.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2023 - 11:32 AM.

#3173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:51 AM

Not to mention that cruise ships do not sail along the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Correct. They cruise along the west coast of the Island.

Know it all.

#3174 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:53 AM

voyage-of-the-glaciers-itinerary-map-v2.

#3175 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:53 AM

I think Butchart is the #1 shore excursion here, I'm sure the cruise lines like the money they make off it.

Not sure any of those other towns have anything comparable.

Is there much money being made? I don’t know, it seems like more of a hassle to stop at a port for only a few hours, and at the tail end of a cruise. Inevitably some people get lost, others get too drunk, some have incidents/accidents, etc. It’s a liability but at least they get to dump some garbage and bring aboard a few items they might need.

Know it all.

#3176 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:57 AM

Is there much money being made? I don’t know, it seems like more of a hassle to stop at a port for only a few hours, and at the tail end of a cruise. Inevitably some people get lost, others get too drunk, some have incidents/accidents, etc. It’s a liability but at least they get to dump some garbage and bring aboard a few items they might need.

Well, presumably they buy the Butchart excursion at wholesale, then charge the passengers retail.  They make a bit of money on the gate, a bit of money on the bus.  

At least they make something.  They make nothing from the passengers that walk into town or to Fisherman's Wharf.

I presume some of the late arrivals are so they can serve dinner onboard.  It might be odd to have a 7-day cruise that only has 6 dinners.

I don't know.    

Some Celebrity Cruises Victoria excursions:

https://www.celebrit...hore-excursions

screenshot-www.celebritycruises.com-2023.01.31-10_59_36.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2023 - 08:00 AM.

#3177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:58 AM

$2,000? $5,000? The ships burn more in fuel pulling into Ogden Point than the dollars they generate here. At best it partially covers the expense of the landing.

Know it all.

#3178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 02:54 PM

When is Gardiner going to bring forward her motion on cruise ships?

#3179 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 02:58 PM

Unrelated, but 8 weeks from today I board the Celebrity BEYOND for a 2-week voyage across the Atlantic, followed by 2 weeks touring Italy.  :wub:

Celebrity BEYOND Apr 21 2022.jpg

• LJ, Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

#3180 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 03:00 PM

Where does that leave from, NParker?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users