BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#261 phx

phx
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

And PHX am I missing something...."Car Storage?" Not sure what that is in reference to?

CARSA = Car Storage and Athletics building

It's a large parkade and gym in one building!

• Nparker and Mixed365 like this

#262 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hah. Actually the Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities. It also happens to have a parkade attached to it.

#263 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,641 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Ah got it. thanks.....

#264 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Interesting pics thanks for posting, but you are a little bass ackwards on 'what was what' here M365; either that or this is a case of mixed up semantics.

"When the SUB was built" - in the 1960's - Vertigo wasn't even a gleam in the Administration's eye. I know because when I went to UVic from 1980-5 I worked as a doorman at what was then simply known as the Sub Pub on the one side of the basement on the lower level. On the other side was Felicitas Lounge, named after a former staff cleaning lady who worked at UVic well before even my time.

"Vertigo", the nightclub, did not come along until much much later, sometime in the mid to late 1990's. As I recall the space that became Vertigo was on the main floor which, if I am accurate in that recollection, in the 80's was simply a combination meeting room/campus club meeting space (political clubs like the Young Tories, Young Liberals, Young Marxist-Leninist's etc being the most consistent users). Basically it was an empty room that could be configured for any or all of those functions, small concerts or special events including a rather infamous  'come one, come all' Victoria Club Bouncer Arm Wrestling competition in 1984 in which yours truly participated. But there was no "nightclub" per se at UVic at the time, either in the SUB or anywhere else on campus.

AllseeingEye:

Thank you for the background info. I was aware that Felicita's was named after a former staff cleaning lady, but no idea about the SUB PUB in the basement - very cool. 

I'm curious if in the mid 90's when Vertigo was constructed as a nightclub if it was a success or just a pipe dream from the then UVSS. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#265 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

You'd have to have a VV poster who attended UVic at that time chime in to get an accurate response; the one and only time I ever was there was a rainy overcast summer day in the late 90's when I was over from Vancouver visiting friends and we decided for "old times sake" to check it out. It was mostly empty, very quiet, lots of neon signs and I remember thinking somewhat nostalgically that it was a bit antiseptic and some how out of place on an Academic institution - it seemed to me it would have been more apt down on Wharf Street.

Of course you have to consider when I bounced at the old Sub Pub our main pre-occupation was keeping inebriated rugby players in check on "Sub Pub Thursday nights" <think gong show, especially around mid term and final exam time> and above all stopping patrons from trying to steal the plastic beer jugs in pub area by passing them through the upper pane-opening windows to their pals waiting outside.... :)

• Mixed365 likes this

#266 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'm curious if in the mid 90's when Vertigo was constructed as a nightclub if it was a success or just a pipe dream from the then UVSS. 

You'd have to have a VV poster who attended UVic at that time chime in to get an accurate response;

Student 85-89, Employee 1992-present. :wave:

Vertigo was an almost total failure from the day it opened and was one of the main reasons that the UVSS found itself in deep financial trouble in the following years. The space was hated by bands and has been basically a study/eating space with occasional events for more than a decade.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#267 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,126 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

trying to steal the plastic beer jugs in pub area by passing them through the upper pane-opening windows to their pals waiting outside.... :)

I guess we have growlers for that now

#268 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,641 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Student 85-89, Employee 1992-present. :wave:

Vertigo was an almost total failure from the day it opened and was one of the main reasons that the UVSS found itself in deep financial trouble in the following years. The space was hated by bands and has been basically a study/eating space with occasional events for more than a decade.

How sad is that we can remember ancient UVic ID numbers - mine was #80-5203 - but forget spouse or kids birthdays?  :rtfm: . And yes I recall now the $$$ issues with UVSS from that time. Plainly stated Vertigo IMO was the wrong venue (type) in the wrong setting. Go to any university and a "pub style" space can be found almost universally. Conversely a night club-style establishment can't even be found in a major international university like UCLA which has nearly 50,000 students. 

• tedward likes this

#269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,882 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

How sad is that we can remember ancient UVic ID numbers - mine was #80-5203 -

85-2201

#270 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

85-4918!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#271 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,641 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I even have my original picture ID card from September 1980; I should scan and post it for a laugh, 70 pounds lighter and with my (beyond) shoulder-length hair, sans the grey naturally....

#272 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,358 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

As of 10:15 AM or so (after a gas leak that started around 9:45AM), the SUB and the UVic Book store
have been evacuated - Police and Fire crews are on the scene.

The transit exchange was closed as of 10:30 PM.

Is best to avoid the area if you are considering going in that direction.

#273 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

As of 10:15 AM or so (after a gas leak that started around 9:45AM), the SUB and the UVic Book store
have been evacuated - Police and Fire crews are on the scene.

The transit exchange was closed as of 10:30 PM.

Is best to avoid the area if you are considering going in that direction.

Would that have been from the construction of the new parking lot outside of the SUB? 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#274 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,358 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Not sure. Didn't hear anything further.

#275 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

Not sure if this post should go on this or the general rumour thread, but I heard a handful of things at UVic. 

Apparently, on campus housing is very saturated and they are looking at building new units. Last I heard it was Parking lot 5 and a plot of land behind the Grad House restaurant that was being developed. 

Can anybody confirm or add onto this?

Attached Images

• handout-map-latest.gif

- Jane Jacobs 

#276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,649 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

We haven't heard anything specific here on VV regarding new housing development but they will be assuming 50 units, at least that has been the plan, at the former Dominion (now Dalton) Hotel renovation into rentals.

UVic has had a tight housing situation for as long as I can remember. They could solve all of that with a couple of twelve storey, 200 unit towers but nearby residents would scream bloody murder.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#277 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,882 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

UVic has had a tight housing situation for as long as I can remember. They could solve all of that with a couple of twelve storey, 200 unit towers but nearby residents would scream bloody murder.

This.

#278 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,358 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

So housing for 800 students would solve the problem? Maybe a bit more than that is needed.

#279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,649 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Could be that they need more, but clearly they've been having capacity issues for many years. Maybe the capital costs of building a residence are high and need to be spaced out across many years?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#280 LJ

LJ
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

Is their student enrollment growing that much each year?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users