Photo

Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1882 replies to this topic

#261 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Times are tough. In the old days you could peep without offering a discount.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#262 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:15 PM

Found this Very Unique Rental Property on Craigslist tonight

$1500 / 1br - 550ft2 - Gay/Bi Men,1 bedroom furnished (15 Wellington Ave, Victoria, BC)

1 bedroom apartment in gay homestay for men with access to Nasty Pig Playpen. Full Kitchen, private bath, Flat screen Television with cable, wifi. Large bedroom with desk, closet. Playpen has glory holes, sling, gang bang table, red horse, padded benches and slurp ramp. Minimum stay 1 month.

Location is ideal, steps from the ocean walkway along Dallas Rd and a few blocks to Cook St Village and Beacon Hill Park. 20-30 minute walk to downtown area.

SEEMS THIS PLACE COMES WITH A LOT OF BONUSES.

i HAD TO LOOK UP THE DEFINITION OF A SLURP RAMP COULDN'T FIND A DEFINITION OF A RED HORSE BUT PRETTY SURE ITS NOT A BRAND OF BEER.

#263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

It's hard to believe this, but the City recently changed zoning info that has lead to a peculiar situation that will erode the rental housing stock.

Rockland townhome proposal marks rare opportunity in historic neighbourhood

http://victoria.citi...-neighbourhood/

However, developer Melanie Smith says an earlier, smaller concept for the site, which was rejected by the neighbourhood association and subsequently made unfeasible following a sudden zoning change by the City of Victoria, was in-keeping with the City’s desire to protect the rental housing stock and minimize the footprint of new buildings in Rockland.

"Our original concept was to build three townhomes and retain all nine rental apartments in the manor and the accessory building. In fact we planned to enter into a housing agreement with the City of Victoria to protect the apartments. Unfortunately the City decided to pass a zoning change without any community consultation and that affected our ability to follow through with our initial plan," Smith said.

Several months ago the City of Victoria passed what it referred to as a minor housekeeping item that required each individual housing unit in Rockland to include 835 square meters of land. This meant that a 500 square foot rental apartment would now require 9,000 square feet of property, 18 times the living space. That sudden change, Smith says, forced the latest changes.

"We suddenly found ourselves in a situation where we could no longer propose three townhomes on a property that already had nine rental apartments on less land than the required 835 square meters per unit. In order to meet the new zoning we would have had to reduce the density in the manor, let alone build three additional homes."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#264 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

It's hard to believe this, but the City recently changed zoning that has lead to a peculiar situation that will erode the rental housing stock....

Is that really so hard to believe with our current civic government? One often gets the feeling the right hand doesn't know what the left hand Isitt..err I mean...is doing.

• rjag likes this

#265 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

Major news coming out of the City of Victoria

Victoria council welcomes idea of fast-tracked planning process for purpose-built rentals
http://victoria.citi...-built-rentals/

Approximately 1,400 purpose-built rental apartments are currently under construction throughout metropolitan Victoria with many more in planning, according to Citified's data.

The recent rise in development activity is part of a perfect storm of favourable lending rates, a low vacancy environment and a changing political outlook that may over time push depressed rental vacancy rates higher, at least in the City of Victoria.

At a Committee of the Whole Meeting held earlier today, Victoria councillors unanimously agreed that the concept of a fast-tracked development process for purpose-built rental projects is sorely needed in light of a looming housing crunch.

Despite the region-wide construction boom, south Island municipalities are faced with an aging housing stock that -- for a variety reasons -- has not been reinforced with meaningful levels of new capacity since the 1980's. According to local rental industry insiders, that translates to some 20,000 of the region's 50,000 rental units lined up for significant remediation within the next decade. And without new homes to lessen the burden on the existing stock, the ramifications could be severe. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#266 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:16 AM

Are some of the renters that are loosing out in Vancouver coming to Victoria?

With so much of the attention focused on Victoria’s tent city and Vancouver’s skyrocketing home prices in the housing debate, one group is left hollering: “Hey, what about us?”

Last Sunday, the Province published: “Squeezed out: Renters losing homes as Lower Mainland owners cash in on hot market.”  “The Lower Mainland is now full of decent people living on cots in furnace rooms, in tiny firetraps, in partitioned laundry rooms in monster houses. Strangers are being forced to share bedrooms.”  According to a January report by RentSeeker.ca, the average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment in Vancouver was $1,079. A 560-square-foot apartment at that, utilities not included.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.A3qTD5CT.dpuf

#267 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

Fast-track is likely still 5x the delay of West Shore.

And fast-tracking rentals probably slows processing of other housing forms, many of which, coincidentally, become rentals.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

Councillor Loveday told me earlier today that planning staff already have a fast-tracking process in place for affordable/subsidized housing proposals. They intend to mirror that process for purpose-built rentals. 

No doubt there will still be opportunities for lengthy delays courtesy of neighbourhood associations, but what I think the acknowledgement by council that this fast-tracking process is necessary also suggests they will be pressured to vote in accordance with the needs of the community and not the neighbourhood's concerns. At least in theory.

Know it all.

#269 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

Why don't they just fast track all development. It's called 'cutting red tape'.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#270 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

^Yeah, I thought there was some sort of promise a couple of elections ago to speed things up at the planning desk. I guess there will now be an ultra-fast track, or a bullet train track. Makes you wonder who gets the slow treatment and why.

#271 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Why don't they just fast track all development. It's called 'cutting red tape'.

Do you mean...

• Streamline and de-mystify all business and development processes at City Hall
  • Make it easier to do business in Victoria
  • Advise on how to reduce unnecessary red tape
  • Connect entrepreneurs with the resources they need
  • Accelerate the development of a vibrant downtown

...have you tried "the hub"?

http://www.victoria....siness-hub.html

#272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

Eight upcoming seniors residences you need to know about

http://victoria.citi...-to-know-about/

If you have a parent or loved one nearing the age when senior living may be a beneficial housing option, planning ahead is crucial to avoiding lengthy wait times and unnecessary expenses.

Below are eight upcoming new-build seniors housing options, totaling 1,020 units, from across Victoria and southern Vancouver Island that you should know about. [Full article]

Know it all.

#273 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

So 415 Michigan and its partner building are about to undergo a serious renovation.

https://www.google.c...3754992!6m1!1e1

Tenants have been offered $3,000 incentives to leave.  But if they do not want to, they will be worked around.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-07-06 19-00-57.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

It's going to be very uncomfortable for some period of time, but if they're willing to forego piece and quiet, a view, and whatever else comes with a major reno then it's all good. Nice to see that the owner is willing to actually work around the tenants that want to stay. The residents are fortunate to be in a building where that can be accommodated.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

Know it all.

#275 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

I'm guessing (but not sure) that because they have two almost identical buildings, they will do one at a time, mostly. That might help.

But the contractor/supplier I talked to, has secured the contract for both buildings, as of last week.  It's proceeding.

#276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

It's underway as we speak. The building slightly to the east of the one pictured is already under wrap.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#277 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

One website says a two bed, one bath there is $1775. Seems steep for an older building, no?

I think it's essential we maintain these older towers. Large apartments are getting rarer.

Edited by Rob Randall, 06 July 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#278 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Is there a penthouse level not visible in the above photo or is it really 13 floors?

#279 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:26 PM

I noticed a new listing today for Norwood Arms, opposite tent city.

$995 for a 1-br.  The listing has since been removed, maybe it rented today.

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Looming-crisis-for-Victoria's-rental-housing-industry-Citified.jpg

Exclusive: Over 20,000 Victoria rental apartments due for major renos or replacement by 2025

http://victoria.citi...cement-by-2025/

According to one of the region’s largest rental management companies, nearly half of metropolitan Victoria’s 50,000 rental units are due for significant restorative work, remediation or replacement by 2025.

That’s nearly the equivalent of every single house, rental apartment and condo in Colwood, Langford, and Sooke — combined.

David Hutniak, CEO of LandlordBC, confirms that mechanical and structural upgrades, building envelope remediation, boiler replacements, new wiring — even tear-downs and complete rebuilds — are indeed on the horizon for a large swath of Victoria’s purpose-built rental units. And in some cases, says Hutniak, the landlord’s decision to undertake the work will be one of forced compliance rather than choice.

“We now have situations on southern Vancouver Island where insurance companies are unwilling to extend insurance terms for aging buildings. What this means is a landlord will be forced to conduct immediate upgrades. And these are not cases of building mismanagement or a lack of maintenance, they are a reality of aging inventory that must be overhauled in order to qualify for insurance,” Hutniak says. [Full article]

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users