Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#501 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

People go where the jobs are and where there's industry (or whatever's left of it).

Local businesses and work-at-home dads don't make big cities. Big industry does, which is why half of this country lives within a day's drive of Toronto.

If we want the population of Vancouver Island to quadruple over the next century we need to open a deep sea container port in Port Alberni, start mining more coal, cutting down more trees and wooing major companies with insane tax breaks. Expanding ship building ten-fold and doubling the presence of CFB Esquimalt are also must-dos.

At best, one of those things might happen within the next 20 years. Just one.

No thanks!!!!!
  • weirdie likes this

#502 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

Oh I'm with you on that. It'll never happen, thankfully.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#503 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:36 AM

More than 500 new units of affordable rental housing will be partly funded at eight capital region sites from Sooke to Saanich with a $45-million contribution from the province, Premier Christy Clark announced Thursday.

The money is part of $850 million the province has pledged since February, including $500 million in September, described by B.C. as the largest single affordable housing investment in any year by any province.

“It is really good news,” said Dean Fortin, executive director of Victoria-based Pacifica Housing, which got approval for $15.5 million toward two of its projects on the West Shore.

A total of 152 units will be built on land that Pacifica owns.

One project will be a four-storey residence across from Royal Roads University in Colwood and the other a multi-storey residence on Goldstream Avenue in Langford.

The Victoria Cool-Aid Society is getting $4.4 million toward a project for 75 low-income adults and seniors but would require more financial support from the City of Victoria and perhaps the Capital Regional District, said executive director Kathy Stinson. She declined to disclose the intended location, because it will require a rezoning and nearby residents have not been consulted.

“It’s not a done deal by any means,” she said.

http://www.timescolo...jects-1.2379938

#504 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:03 AM

Esquimalt eviction for illegal 4-plex raises serious concerns

(Apparently bylaw office received a complaint about the longstanding 4-plex and 8 people, some who paid $1,100 per month are now homeless.  Oh but wait! no, this is being held off while Council reviews - report from staff expected)

http://www.cheknews....oncerns-237033/

Edited by SusanJones, 05 November 2016 - 06:07 AM.

#505 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:18 AM

Back in the 90's Mayor Chris Clement and his band of ne'er do well councilors decided to down zone the municipality. There were hundreds of properties that were zoned duplex by the earlier day planners. There were entire neighbourhoods that were zoned for duplex but had single family dwellings on them. Many people purchased houses with the dreams of future expansion and development because of the zoning.

The council of the day then decided to down zone all those duplex properties en mass if they were not utilized as duplexes.

When the arguments arose at the public hearings, the powers that be said that all the homeowners needed to do in the future was to apply to have their properties rezoned if they wanted to turn their properties back. 

If you go to the municipality's  web page now you will see that that whole affair was a ruse.

https://www.esquimal...idential/duplex

#506 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:44 AM

hmmmm.... could current zoning region-wide be considered a negative impact to the low low vacancy rates?  

#507 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:50 AM

^ It sure doesn't help.

#508 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

....could current zoning region-wide be considered a negative impact to the low low vacancy rates?  

I think it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that zoning and density policies and regulations across the capital region have had a hugely negative effect on our rental housing situation.

#509 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Let's not forget that the Tenancy Act also seems to favour tenants in some situations, and that has an effect on how many people are even willing to rent out their basement suite etc. to people outside of their family.  Many just sit vacant, because of a negative tenant experience.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#510 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Would be wonderful to have community discussion.  

1.  Discussion just for homeowners who do not want secondary suites or zoning on their streets for duplex etc. under any circumstances in all 13 municipalities

2.  Discussion for homeowners who don't care about secondary suites or zoning for duplex etc. but have concerns such as parking in all 13 municipalities

3.  Discussion for homeowners who currently have illegal secondary suites (with anonymity provided to them) - all 13 municipalities

4.  Discussion for homeowners around Landlord & tenant act

4.  Discussion for renters around Landlord & tenant act

Take all that information from those discussions, map the responses and develop region-wide solutions 

#511 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:24 PM

Let's not forget that the Tenancy Act also seems to favour tenants in some situations, and that has an effect on how many people are even willing to rent out their basement suite etc. to people outside of their family.  Many just sit vacant, because of a negative tenant experience.

So further to this, one solution would be, for example, to make larger damage deposits legal for in-house suites.  Or make the eviction process faster/easier for these types of suites.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#512 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

a higher damage deposit is not the solution. A damage deposit is insurance against damage and it doesn't prevent bad people from renting places. Landlords sometimes try to keep damage deposits for reasons other than legitimate damage but they lose when the try. Also damage deposits gain interest

#513 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

They have not gained interest for a number of years. 0%.

Matt.

#514 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

They have not gained interest for a number of years. 0%....

Nothing since 2009.

damage.JPG

http://www2.gov.bc.c...rest-calculator

• Matt R. likes this

#515 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

Oh that's interesting so the only people getting a little interest are ones who paid their deposit pretty 2009

#516 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

It makes sense. If basic savings account rates were much higher, then there should be interest rates on damage/security deposits.

• Matt R. likes this

#517 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

Be thankful you get your damage deposit back, as it it doesn't take much to gobble that up in repairs.

I wonder if the interest on the deposit goes towards the landlords holiday fund?

#518 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:30 PM

^ Yep.

Matt.

#519 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

Be thankful you get your damage deposit back, as it it doesn't take much to gobble that up in repairs.

I wonder if the interest on the deposit goes towards the landlords holiday fund?

$500 over 5 years at 2% is only $552.  Meanwhile, the inflation calculator tells me that $500 will need to be bumped up another $34 to have the same spending power today as in 2011. 

• lanforod likes this

#520 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

^ yep. There is no valid argument for interest to be charged on deposits right now.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users