Photo

Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#541 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

...Rental rates for upper-end, newly completed purpose-built apartment inventory in downtown Victoria and periphery areas are expected to break above $2.70 per square foot (per month)...

I sometimes wish I could move out of my condo and rent it...especially for close to $2500/month the above figure says I could get.

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

Are you in an upper-end new-build condo?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Are you in an upper-end new-build condo?

No, but it's every bit as well appointed as anything being built today. 

#544 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

No, but it's every bit as well appointed as anything being built today. 

We'll need all new kitchen appliances (NOT white in colour), new European (front-load) w/d.  And hardwood floors or better throughout.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#545 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

We'll need all new kitchen appliances (NOT white in colour), new European (front-load) w/d.  And hardwood floors or better throughout.

Got 'em.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#546 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

I sometimes wish I could move out of my condo and rent it...especially for close to $2500/month the above figure says I could get.

As long as it's not in the North Park area you should be able to get that for a three bedroom.   ;)

• jonny likes this

#547 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

As long as it's not in the North Park area you should be able to get that for a three bedroom.   ;)

You'd be surprised how much places rent for in North Park.

#548 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

David Hutniak is killing it on CFAX right now, talking about the issue of rising rental rates.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#549 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

David Hutniak is killing it on CFAX right now, talking about the issue of rising rental rates.

What is his take?

#550 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

Secondary suites - time to re-think?  Could this have been a positive outcome for all concerned? 

".....The construction of an addition on the 1952-built house to facilitate a secondary suite will push the total coverage of all structures on the lot higher than the 325 square metres allowed under existing zoning.

At the Dec. 13 meeting, council heard that homeowner Mike Hirst was informed, upon applying for the building permit for the addition, that the garage must be removed prior to final occupancy in the suite.

Council voted 4-0 to accept the recommendation to reject the application, but not before Hirst described how tearing down the upgraded structure would cause financial hardship, add material to the landfill and remove a natural separator between his home and a neighbouring property." 

http://www.goldstrea.../407976856.html

#551 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

Secondary suites - time to re-think?  Could this have been a positive outcome for all concerned? 

".....The construction of an addition on the 1952-built house to facilitate a secondary suite will push the total coverage of all structures on the lot higher than the 325 square metres allowed under existing zoning.

At the Dec. 13 meeting, council heard that homeowner Mike Hirst was informed, upon applying for the building permit for the addition, that the garage must be removed prior to final occupancy in the suite.

Council voted 4-0 to accept the recommendation to reject the application, but not before Hirst described how tearing down the upgraded structure would cause financial hardship, add material to the landfill and remove a natural separator between his home and a neighbouring property." 

http://www.goldstrea.../407976856.html

I suppose the article does not say if he could have made the suite smaller, then been able to keep the garage.

Property:   http://tonywick.com/...details-7554067

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#552 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Renovations halted over asbestos concerns at James Bay apartment | CHEK

The stop work order at 415 Michigan Street was issued more than two weeks ago and construction workers have not been on the property since. 

Tenants in the building say their questions have gone unanswered and they’re concerned about any potential impact on their health. 

“When I saw that posted on the lobby I thought, ‘if it’s not safe for workers is it safe for me to live in’?” says 415 Michigan Street resident Nathalie Vazan. 

Work Safe BC issued the order December 14th, after concerns about asbestos possibly being disturbed during renovations.

It wasn’t until more than a week later that Devon Properties acknowledged the order and concerns. But the notice did not mention any ongoing inspection.

Adding to resident frustrations, Canada Post suspended its mail delivery to the building due to health concerns for their mail carriers.

http://www.cheknews....artment-250300/

#553 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

File_000 (38).jpeg

#554 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

:badpc:

• Nparker likes this

#555 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

Oh, and since I was looking at that paper, in August of 1990 the Eatons Centre opened downtown, and Iraq invaded Kuwait.  Probably unrelated events.

#556 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

Oh ya, this building has too nice a location for is to be a boring old building.

The Together Against Poverty Society is calling for provincial legislation after so-called "renoviction" notices were delivered to residents of a Cook Street apartment.

The thirty-two residents at 2626 Cook Street received eviction notices last Wednesday. They're being given until the end of March to vacate their suites, and they've been promised the right of first refusal to move back in when renovations are complete.

But TAPS legal advocate Emily Rogers says their rents will likely rise to current market value, something many of the residents won't be able to afford.

"What we're asking for is a strengthening of the law to allow tenants the first right of refusal to move back in to their units after renovations are complete in scenarios such as this. And also so that the law allows tenants to move back in at the same rent as they were paying before."

Rogers says some tenants have been living at the apartment for as long as forty years.

http://www.iheartrad...tices-1.2355252

#557 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

The solution to the rental crisis (albeit not an immediate one), is to vastly increase the stock of rental properties. Not through typical Victoria "feel good" garden suite-type schemes, but through allowing significantly greater density (i.e. height) in all rental proposals going forward.

• Midnightly likes this

#558 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

It seems to me that native reserves would be a great place to build rental apartments.  They are not constrained by municipal zoning and they do not worry residents like long leases do for owned-houses on reserves.

#559 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Good grief.

The headlines should be raging with lines like "Government failure leads to eviction scenarios for long-term tenants." Instead we get these passive-aggressive jabs at landlords who are only doing what they need to do to maintain their buildings in good standing. And that work doesn't come cheap.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#560 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

John Wilson from Wilson's Bus has written an article somewhere saying that Saanich is not doing enough to encourage more rentals.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users