Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1866 replies to this topic

#1261 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:30 AM

The Adelphi, which was designed by architect Thomas Hooper, was completed in 1891. It now has completely renewed and modern infrastructure and its residential units feature forced air heating and cooling, in-floor heating in bathrooms and custom cabinetry.

Milne said each unit is unique, and they come with prices that reflect the custom nature of the work. Two of the units remain available, the 516-square foot studio will rent for $1,800 a month and the 609 square foot studio will go for $2,000.

“There’s a certain quality level that puts them at a unique character and something that doesn’t exist within Victoria at the moment,” Milne said.

https://www.timescol...town-1.24197767

or at least he hopes they will rent for that amount.  at only 1/3 of the units rented so far that's maybe not yet a given.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 September 2020 - 08:31 AM.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#1262 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:14 AM

Porter Block is a two-storey heritage property with basement. The basement and 1st floor are currently entirely leased by The Original Farm; the second floor has recently undergone major upgrades and renovations to convert the space into a modern 2-bedroom residential unit spanning the entire floor.

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

#1263 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:41 AM

strange article.

Retired Victoria woman looking to cook, clean or garden in exchange for rent

Sylvia Bailey is hoping to use her love for cooking to help afford rent

https://www.vicnews....hange-for-rent/

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#1264 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

"Person seeks remuneration in exchange for labour"

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#1265 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:39 AM

$3,650,000

1-8 1860 Crescent Rd.

859629_11.jpg

Located along Scenic Drive in Victoria, a rare investment opportunity is awaiting a new owner. This property is situated across from one of the best beaches in Victoria - Gonzales Beach- complete with beautiful water views. This complex is made up of 8 units with a mix of one and two bedroom floorpans. Full of character, they feature coved ceilings, oak hardwood floors and archways, and oversized balconies for units on the second level. This well maintained building is professionally managed and has recently been upgraded with new footings/concrete pads/sewage and drainage pipes, a new roof, high efficiency furnace and many suite renovations (all within the last two years) and a fresh new exterior paint job completed this Fall.

Don't forget to view the drone video for a fantastic neighbourhood perspective!

See supplements about possible future townhouse development potential with rezoning!

https://www.realtor....-fairfield-east

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 November 2020 - 07:39 AM.

#1266 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:11 AM

B.C. freezes rent increases until July 2021

The freeze on rent increases came into effect in March, when the COVID-19 pandemic was declared, and was set to last until December. Now, rent can not go up until at least July 10, 2021. Tenants are being told to disregard any notices of rent increase received after March 30, 2020.

#1267 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

So property tax increases will also be frozen?

Edited by Nparker, 09 November 2020 - 11:47 AM.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#1268 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:47 PM

I was expecting a freeze for all of 2021. If I can raise it in July that’s ok for me.

#1269 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:10 PM

What if it’s extended to next December?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1270 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:51 PM

B.C. freezes rent increases until July 2021

The freeze on rent increases came into effect in March, when the COVID-19 pandemic was declared, and was set to last until December. Now, rent can not go up until at least July 10, 2021. Tenants are being told to disregard any notices of rent increase received after March 30, 2020.

Luckily for me it hasn't occurred to my landlord to raise my rent in 6 years. When I first moved in, I thought I was paying a stupid amount of rent but absolutely loved the apartment. Now I think it is a steal!  :)  I have tended to do the same with any of my tenants - not increase the rent as long as they are good tenants. You can always jack the price when they leave. And most tenants don't stay for long that in my experience. 

#1271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:33 AM

Interesting. Not a lot of people are both tenants and landlords.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1272 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:15 AM

Interesting. Not a lot of people are both tenants and landlords.

Actually not that uncommon. If my memory is correct, that was Matt's situation when he first went to Salt Spring. Still owned in Saanich but rented on Salt Spring.

• Matt R. likes this

#1273 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:18 AM

Actually not that uncommon. If my memory is correct, that was Matt's situation when he first went to Salt Spring. Still owned in Saanich but rented on Salt Spring.

but it's interesting.  god damn it.

• Mike K. likes this

#1274 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:32 AM

Someone else I know rents a house here in Victoria because they can't afford to buy here. But they own a house in Comox that they rent out.

#1275 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:37 AM

interesting!
  • Mike K. likes this

#1276 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:37 AM

I know a guy, divorced, rents out the old Burnaby family home and rents his own little place on the Island because he's in the trades and is transferred around a lot.

Not a plan you'll read in The Wealthy Barber but it seems to work in some situations. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 13 November 2020 - 07:38 AM.

• Redd42 likes this

#1277 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:39 AM

i know a wealthy barber that rents books about divorce. and trades them too. but only within his own family home on the island.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2020 - 07:41 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#1278 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:43 AM

I'd rent a movie about that.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#1279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:00 AM

Oh yeah, people will rent as they search for a home to buy, or to decide on a neighbourhood when first moving to a new city. But renting long-term while owning a home in the same city is not common. Nothing wrong with it, just not a scenario you encounter a lot.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#1280 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:01 PM

Friends of ours are homeless, having sold their home in Ladner.

Now they house sit all over the place while deciding where to put down roots again.

They were all up and down the island and are now in Penticton.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users