[Downtown Victoria] 1000 block of Yates condo | 7-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

Wow, how big do you think that lot is?

I think something more realistic, but no more likely to be built there, would be something like [url=http://www.millerhull.com/html/index.htm:4fe95]Miller/Hull Partnership[/url:4fe95]'s design for 156 West Superior Street in Chicago. They are one of my favourite design firms in Seattle who do a great job with Westercoast Modern buildings. No Tudor Revival crap from these guys.

A nine-story condominium project located on a small lot in the revitalized River North district of Chicago.

Design Statement:
A lobby and tenant parking will occupy the ground floor with eight levels of housing above. Floors two through four are configured with three-bedroom units on the south and one-bedroom flats to the north. The fifth through ninth floors are single residences. All units have outdoor decks designed to function as surrogate living rooms. The ninth floor residence has an adjoining private roof deck connected by an internal stair. Expressed structure, metal slat screen walls, commercial storefront windows and an open plan will characterize the experience of the building.

The structural frame becomes a visible system that lends scale and identity to the building. The project aesthetic is firmly embedded in the Chicago steel and glass I.I.T. School. The building is organized like an irreducible living machine: stripped bare, rational and waiting for a layer of domestication.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

^ Wow, that is cool stuff.

This project is a midrise mixed-use building consisting of eight loft-style units with an expressed structural steel frame, large operable overhead doors, commercial storefront windows, and concrete floors with corrugated metal decking at the ceilings. The building constructs an image of structural architecture, conveying a sense of economy, efficiency, discipline and order, essential characteristics of urban loft living.

http://www.millerhul.../html/index.htm

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

/\ wow, nice indeed. When I see buildings like that I think that I could be happy living in a midrise Victoria if all the new buildings were as striking, modern, innovative and original as that. The city really needs to put roadblocks in the way of developers who want to build more crap, and grease the wheels for those who are willing to take a chance, or just simply present a wonderful piece of architecture. That doesn't necessarily mean expensive either...

great photoshop work as always aastra.

#24 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

Wow, that is cool stuff.

The above picture is from another building Miller/Hill Partnership did in Seattle a few years ago called [url=http://www.millerhull.com/html/residential/1310.htm:8371e]1310 East Union[/url:8371e]. It's clearly a early design that is refined and enlarged in the 156 West Superior building I noted. You can find out more about 1310 East Union from the developer's website, [url=http://www.dunnandhobbes.com/prj_1310.php:8371e]Dunn + Hobbes[/url:8371e].

#25 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:12 AM

That reminds me of a building on Richards Street in Vancouver

#26 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:22 AM

This is some pretty fun stuff..

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

both of those are cool buildings. I am pretty sure I heard somewhere they are planning a seven storey building so those last two are the most likely examples.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

That's awesome. I wanna condo with a glass garage door too!
Aastra, you are the king of photoshop.

#29 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:40 AM

site area is just under 700 square metres, and 7 stories were planned at one point with a floor space ratio of about 4.5 to 1, but its out of our hands now so who knows what will happen

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:29 AM

You mean Kwan no longer has the option on the site? I know the beatdown he got at City Hall over the Volvo lot condo must have caused some second guessing.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

City says it wants midrises. Midrises are the holy grail. Midrises are where it's at. So a guy proposes some midrises. City gives him hell for it.

Makes no sense at all, from start to finish.

#32 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

were talking about the city of victoria, so it makes prefect sense.

#33 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

I'm close to not caring anymore about stuff in Victoria to tell you the truth. I'm approaching the time in my life that this stuff just doesn't matter to me anymore. Plus I have to focus hardcore on my studies because I want nothing less than a B+ in all my classes which is possible for me.

But seriously... Perhaps I'm starting not to care that much since I know that I won't be staying in Victoria very much longer. I don't know when I'm leaving all I know is that I will be leaving.

#34 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

I love the Miller/Hull building! It would work really well at that location. I have no idea what the plan for this lot is. We did not have any plan presented to APC, so they're either planning to work within the current zoning, or else they just wanted to tear something down.......
Pieta VanDyke

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

Barra, do you know if this proposal is actually alive or has it gone completely stale?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

I know nothing.....
Pieta VanDyke

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

An excavator is now on-site. What's up?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

hasn't that excavator been there for a while? I think it has

#39 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

its been there for at least 6 months

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

Apparently that excavator started doing some work. Lots of earth moved and a stop work order on the fence dated July 15, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users