Photo

Victoria All-Candidate Forums: Your Impressions

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

The JBNH all candidates meetings are always very well run. They use a timing system that consists of 3 lights - green, yellow, and red, so you can tell when you are running out of time. It even worked for Georgia, who finished right after her time was up, then she sat down. She was way out of line when she chased the other candidate across the room - this was before the meeting, however. If I hadn't been talking to an elderly friend nearby, I would have pulled her aside and told her she was being inappropriate.

We had an interesting stand-in for Kristin Woodruff - a young woman who actually talked about issues and provided suggestions for solutions.

Before the meeting I was approached by a woman who asked if I'd received her survey - she had sent one about the Woodwyn Farm proposal for street people. She said she was planning to raise the question at the meeting. I informed her (it was well advertised) that the meeting was held by JB New Horizons for their members - so she signed up on the spot just so that she could get up there, and sure enough she had the first question. Second question - on P3s - also came from a "member on the spot". I found that to be disrespectful of the organizers.

The catcalling/heckling that Sue refers to was pretty mild. I barely noticed it.
Pieta VanDyke

#22 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

Well, I can understand why you left, Susan, but it's a shame you didn't get to see how it all turned out (rather well). The council candidates actually had adequate time to speak and there were no disrespectful comments from the audience that I caught. I had no problem with anyone's choice of dress, either. I sympathize with your frustration, and there's nothing like people being needlessly rude; but I am optimistic that as these events progress we are getting a clearer picture of true intentions and visions from serious candidates.

#23 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

I sympathize with your frustration, and there's nothing like people being needlessly rude; but I am optimistic that as these events progress we are getting a clearer picture of true intentions and visions from serious candidates.

Thanks Joseph. I think I heard the heckling more because I was on the other side of the room.

But anyway, since I already know who I'm going to vote for - and since the meeting had almost as many candidates as it had audience - I'm going to pass on moderated meetings from now on as I don't believe they work well for candidates - or - voters. (Hard to sit around on chairs for 3 hours, on a workday, coffee/tea ran out, no food, for a chance to speak for 3 minutes!)

I do plan to attend the one in Fairfield on Nov 7th only because they've set it up so all candidates get full access to residents through candidate stations (much like the Cridge meeting which was the best so far)

But always appreciate your positive outlook, Joseph!
Sue

#24 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

We had an interesting stand-in for Kristin Woodruff - a young woman who actually talked about issues and provided suggestions for solutions.

A mayor debate "stand-in" (being a yoga student of the mayor candidate who was in JAIL!)

The same young woman who was on A Channel tonight saying the police sounded like a "broken record" for saying over and over again "you are being given an opportunity to pack up your tents".

Correct me where I am wrong, Pieta, but what I heard of her "solutions" is that you can't eat money so business needs don't count, that we need to consider prescription drugs the same as illegal street drugs and we should ween our seniors off their drugs and treat using herbs and yoga, that we need to let tent city people do whatever they want to, wherever.

Also, I have never seen a debate "stand-in" before in all my years covering politics.

A) Did she fill out nomination papers with two signatures/ and pay $25 like all officially announced candidates had to do?
B) Did James Bay New Horizons get permission/clearance from City Hall to include her in this "candidate" event?

Thanks. Look forward to your reply.
Sue

#25 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

How bizarre, I have never heard of a 'stand in' either... it's not the local church basement musical.

Susan, that's too bad you won't be at the rest of the moderated forums... I was looking forward to my local neighbourhood one, but if it is any indication of what you have hinted at here, I think I might venture east to Fairfield and try to blend in with the locals at their candidates meeting. Actually, I already have a list of those I might vote for, and those I definitely will not, so the candidate booth forum will probably work better for me to decide. I can spend more time with those candidates I am still considering voting for, without taking up precious time (theirs and mine) of those I know I wouldnt ever vote for.

#26 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

This is all getting a bit unreal, and I feel for the candidates who are attempting to utilize the legislated system of meetings, stumping and marketing in order to get the word out on their platforms, engage voters (and get people to actually vote), and hopefully get elected to a position that a) pays very little b) takes up a huge amount of time c) generates more personal criticism than praise for effort.

As a friend stated today to another municipal candidate - just wait for the 11pm calls from a 'concerned citizen' over some city issue (or not) that must be dealt with 'right now'.

As stated by others - there is an argument to raise the bar for candidacy; by increasing the number of nominators, by raising the cost of an application, and (this may attract some posts) providing councillours a real salary.

Running a city is not like volunteering as a local hockey coach - but we treat it that way. That shows in the disruptions at all candidates meetings, it shows in the lack of respect for the municipal elect, and those who aspire to the position.

#27 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

can spend more time with those candidates I am still considering voting for, without taking up precious time (theirs and mine) of those I know I wouldnt ever vote for.

There's nothing worse than spending precious minutes debating someone at these events who has no interest in voting for you anyway while potential voters walk past your booth or give up waiting for the comlainer to move on.

BTW, I have no problem admitting that it was me that was followed through the JB New Horizons Center just before the meeting started by an enraged mayoral candidate. All I did was foolishly challenge the candidate`s statement that the current council has done absolutely zero for the homeless. I looked at this person in disbelief and mentioned the countless hours Charlayne Thrornton-Joe, for example, puts into examining, researching and advocating for solving homeless issues. This candidate disagreed and was only interested in who believed in this candidate`s homeless solution scheme. This person became enraged for some reason and charged after me. I laughingly hid behind Wayne Hollohan and cried "SAVE ME, WAYNE, SAVE ME!" This person also tried to bully me into promising to give away my Councillor salary to charity, which I consider a private matter between me and the charities I support. As I mentioned last week I just can't believe people who demand respect and compassion for themselves are incapable of dishing it out.

This is not democracy. It's a farce.

#28 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

As stated by others - there is an argument to raise the bar for candidacy; by increasing the number of nominators, by raising the cost of an application, and (this may attract some posts) providing councillours a real salary.

I think there is nothing wrong with asking someone to come up with a hefty # of signatures to show that they have actually talked to some of their future constituents, and were able to convince enough of them to sign a nomination petition. I don't see the need for an application fee.

I strongly agree that councillors should be well-paid. If they are to put in all this time helping to run the city, they should be well-compensated.

#29 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

The Downtown meeting on the 12th will be the station format as well. It makes sense with so many candidates.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:54 PM

Starting with the next term, Councillors will be paid $38,104 not including expenses which seems a fair wage for a job that can be a real grind.

Yesterday`s JBNH ACM was good. There were a few dozen seniors in attendance. Hopefully the next James Bay ACM will have a large and diverse crowd.

#31 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

The Downtown meeting on the 12th will be the station format as well. It makes sense with so many candidates.

Thx Caramia. Thats a good time of day for most people too.

#32 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

That's good to know. Maybe I won't have to rummage through my dressup bin to try to disguise myself as a Fairfielder for their ACM.

#33 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hi, Susan.

Everything about Kristen's campaign is bizarre - and I think the system should change so that only people on the election list can run for a seat. I was stunned when I realized that my nominators - who have to be on the election list - have a higher "bar" to pass than myself as the candidate! I wasn't trying to imply that the stand in was a credible candidate, just that she was able to actually identify an issue and speak to it. In order to survive the all candidates meetings you have to realize that some candidates treat it as 'street theater', so I take it as entertainment value.

I've never seen anything like a 'stand in' candidate it either, but City Hall doesn't have any role in how the all candidates meetings are run. They are solely the purview of the sponsoring body.

I too am sorry that you decided to skip the other James Bay one - it has previously been considered by candidates to be the best run. Like Joseph, I appreciated the opportunity at New Horizons to give a speech on the topic of my choice.

Oh, and btw - Sonya Chandler was handing out fruit and candy because it was her birthday.

Prior to the meeting I saw Mayoral candidate Ron Taylor trudging along the sidewalk - looking for the meeting? A few minutes later he was on the other side of the street going the other way. I wonder where he ended up.......................?
Pieta VanDyke

#34 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

I wasn't trying to imply that the stand in was a credible candidate, just that she was able to actually identify an issue and speak to it. In order to survive the all candidates meetings you have to realize that some candidates treat it as 'street theater', so I take it as entertainment value.

Thanks Pieta. I love street theatre and good comedy as well - but this looks more like bullying and disrespect.

#35 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

I too am sorry that you decided to skip the other James Bay one.

I find door knocking a more productive use of my time. One doesn't realize how big Victoria is until you walk around it! And thank God for Canada Post to fill in the rest.

#36 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

Like Joseph, I appreciated the opportunity at New Horizons to give a speech on the topic of my choice.

Today me and my team were able to speak to over 400 voters in the same 3 hours one waits to speak at moderated meetings. Perhaps JB organizers will see the value in 'station forums' for next time - like the others have.

(Moderators: sorry I meant to include all these into one post, not three. Maybe someone can merge. C'est possible? Thx Sue)

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Reminder tonight:

Tuesday Nov 4th. - 7:00pm
James Bay Community Centre - 140 Oswego St

Pat McGuire - 250-385-0485
Candidates Contact: Carole Elliott 250-386-8829
Sponsors: James Bay Neighbourhood Association 250-384-5334
and James Bay Community School Society 250-389-1470

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:30 AM

All things considered tonight's James Bay Community School ACF went pretty well. There was good attendance by candidates and a good turnout of 150-200 people (the public, not the candidates).

The candidates all sat behind tables lined up along the long side of a gym with the Mayoral candidates in the middle of the long line.

There were no introductory statements which was a relief to me because we've heard them all already several times and there's nothing said that isn't already on the brochures so get on with it, already. Each candidate got to answer two questions over the course of the evening which was a luxury compared to other meetings. The mayoral candidates got more questions and a little more time. Strangely, hardly anyone went over the time limit. The guy only had to ring the bell two or three times.

The audience submitted questions to the moderator who read them out. That sped things up incredibly because as I mentioned before when the audience asks questions they ramble on for five minutes venting and wasting time and never do get around to asking an actual question.

I think the questions were more or less random. My first question was if I was pleased about the massing of the latest condos in Downtown. The second was is the City getting good value for the amenities it asks from developers. Those were pretty good questions, relevant to what I'm working on with the DRA so I think I lucked out, or maybe the questions were tailored to me, I don't know. Twice during the forum the moderator mistakenly called Dean "Mayor Fortin".

A few candidates started acting out and one had a full on raging tantrum. He managed to stop the meeting and things were chaotic for a few minutes. I didn't get the sense that this man was truly angry. I think causing a commotion and getting attention is something he's been doing for many years and it's as natural to him as making toast is to us. Just when I think I've seen the most arrogant, disrespectful instance of public bullying I get treated to a new one. They protest their perceived lack of democracy by infringing on the rights of others.

Several times during the forum the moderator asked for a show of hands in answer to a question. One question was "do you support the construction of a hotel on the Belleville Terminal land". I was puzzled at this question and didn't know how to answer it and I was glad to see the other candidates were too. What kind of question is that? It depends, of course. A two storey hotel? 25 storeys? Just a hotel or what else is on the site? The panel unanimously and voiciferously refused to display a show of hands. The moderator was forced to move on to the next question.

It took about 2 1/2 hours but it was interesting and the time passed quickly. It was good to finally hear a few development questions--something the City has influence on instead of constant homelessness all the time. It's our biggest issue for sure, but there's not much to say about it: implement the Task Force recommendations and get regional assistance, the end.

Half-way through the moderator interrupted with news of Obama's victory. A huge sustained cheer broke out.

To sum up, the questions were intelligent and the audience well behaved. Well done.

#39 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

A few candidates started acting out and one had a full on raging tantrum. . . Just when I think I've seen the most arrogant, disrespectful instance of public bullying I get treated to a new one.

Today I heard that folks in London England have read about (and laughed at) our civic election in their National Post - a story about mayor candidate Kirsten Woodruff doing handstands. Talk about world stage coverage.

Think it would be good if our own local television/radio stations would interview the non-acrobatic amongst us for our ideas about how to address a myriad of important issues. And I am not just saying that because I've always been hopeless at cartwheels.

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Tonight's Fairfield ACM was great. Kudos to the organizers. The Council candidates were in the gym and the Mayoral candidates were in the adjoining Garry Oak room. Our room was a good size although I got a small table in the corner. I heard the mayoral room was a bit out of control with some people acting out.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users