Downtown Boundaries

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

This part of town [Quadra Village] should also be included with in the new downtown boundry!!!

That's crazy. There are two distinct residential neighbourhoods between Downtown and Quadra Village; North Park and Hillside/Quadra. Include that and there's not really any point in neighbourhood planning boundaries.

EDIT: Hmm...unless you created a new zoning for "village centres", eg; Quadra Village, Cook St. Village, Fernwood/Gladstone village had unique zoning regulations separate from their surrounding residential neighbourhoods. For instance, the Castana project wouldn't have to be squashed down to residential heights, nor would it be as tall as downtown's 3:1 floor space ratio.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:19 AM

This part of town [Quadra Village] should also be included with in the new downtown boundry!!!

That's crazy. There are two distinct residential neighbourhoods between Downtown and Quadra Village; North Park and Hillside/Quadra. Include that and there's not really any point in neighbourhood planning boundaries.

To someone living in Sydney or the Western Communitiies, pretty much everything in the City of Victoria proper is "downtown". Downtown proper however, is characterized by high density commercial development. I can see the border being moved north a bit from my description. Harris Green is characterized by low density commercial and high density residential. It is a different area from downtown. So is Vic West and James Bay.

#23 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hey, thats perfect!

Everywhere within that boundry (excluding hertiage areas and Chinatown) should have a height restriction of 100 meters.
Done :-D

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

I love Selkirk. I wouldn't change a thing about it.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

Where's that?

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

Selkirk Waterfront is on the opposite side of Vic West where the Galloping Goose's Selkirk Trestle is located (upper Harbour, north of the Bay Street bridge).

Walking through Selkirk...

Here it is, as seen from Vic West

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

Oooh Ok, thanks for the refresher.

I'm a fifteen year old suburban boy...don't blame me :lol:

#28 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:02 AM

I drew this awhile ago... it is my view of the boundaries of downtown Victoria (solid red line):

Dotted red lines surround areas on the border of downtown that I don't think really matter which side of the boundary they are on, because we all know they will stay the same until the big one hits.

The slashed red line down Quadra is where I think Harris Green and downtown divide. This is really more for planning purposes though because in my mind I don't call Harris Green by it's name, I just think of it as part of downtown.

The solid green lines divide neighbourhoods around downtown; Vic West, JB to the southwest, Fairfield to the southeast, Rockland to the east, Fernwood and North Park both in the northeast, and Burnside/Rock Bay/ Gorge East/Mayfair/Rock Bay/Selkirk (I obviously have no clue what to call this hood) to the north.

#29 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

Darren Kloster writes a business column for the T-C, and today's article is called [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=6a2c8af8-de0a-47d7-a13c-c697c475e4ca:cbcc2]Victoria publisher expands Washington state empire[/url:cbcc2], which is all about Black Press. But if you read further down to the "also noted" snippets, there's an interesting bit about real estate. I bolded the part that caught my attention the most, re. Vic West as an extension of the downtown core:

Parkwest Apartments, a 96-unit, four-storey building on two acres at 55 Bay St., has been sold to Boardwalk REIT. The deal with the estate of an unnamed local owner was worth $9.4 million and brokered by Garry Barsalou of Diversified Properties. It is the second local deal for the Toronto-based real estate investment trust, which bought the 161-unit Christie Point Apartments in View Royal last year.

Barsalou said Victoria is becoming more and more desirable for larger real estate companies from Central Canada, particularly in the Vic West area where investors are looking to "fill in" around massive new developments such as Dockside Green and Bayview on the Songhees. "Victoria has maintained the lowest annual vacancy rate in Canada for a number of years, making it a stable place to invest," said Barsalou, who notes the last figure from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. was less than one per cent. "Historically, REITs haven't considered Victoria, tending to gravitate toward larger centres. But the stable vacancy makes it an attractive investment. And Victoria West is about to turn, essentially becoming an extension of the downtown core." Boardwalk owns and operates 260 properties with more than 34,000 units across Canada. Its shares (TSX:BEI-UN) were up 44 cents yesterday to $39.

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:15 AM

The City of Victoria is proposing new neighbourhood boundaries for Downtown/Harris Green, North Park, Oaklands, and Fernwood.
Our conversation will focus on the proposal to move the boundaries between North Park and Fernwood (from Cook to Chambers), as well as the boundary between Oaklands and Fernwood (from Haultain to Bay).

Staff from the City of Victoria, as well as representatives from the North Park, Fernwood, Oaklands, and Downtown Neighbourhood Associations will be in attendance. Everyone welcome.

Online: us02web.zoom.us
Thursday May 6 at 7 PM PDT
Price: Free
Public  · Anyone on or off Facebook

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:29 AM

cook to chambers might make some sense.  haultain to bay whatever.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 May 2021 - 06:30 AM.

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:01 PM

I'm listening to this now. Not a lot of support for making any changes.

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:14 PM

The most contentious issue seems to be the proposal to move North Park's boundary a eastward into Fernwood.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

The City is now giving a presentation on the "missing middle housing", this being buildings in-between SFDs and highrises (townhouses, small apartments, triplexes, quads, etc).

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

The most contentious issue seems to be the proposal to move North Park's boundary eastward into Fernwood.

North Park's riff-raff isn't good enough for Fernwood?

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:23 PM

The City is now giving a presentation on the "missing middle housing", this being buildings in-between SFDs and highrises (townhouses, small apartments, triplexes, quads, etc.)

The trick will be to make the "missing middle" properties more affordable than suburban SFDs.

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:33 PM

Capture.JPG

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:25 PM

The trick will be to make the "missing middle" properties more affordable than suburban SFDs.

It can’t happen until it takes six months or less from submission to building permit. As it stands now it takes nearly two years to receive approvals for a relatively straight forward project. If there are hiccups add more time in six month increments.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:28 PM

...As it stands now it takes nearly two years to receive approvals for a relatively straight forward project...

In the case of Northern Junk, 11+ years.

#40 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:29 PM

I'm listening to this now. Not a lot of support for making any changes.

I thought there was a fair bit of support for the move from Bay to Haultain.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users