• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#201 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

Yes I'm very familiar with supply chain in addition to implementing repeatable, efficient LEAN business processes. The information, although passed along by one their employees, would seem to be at odds with best practices.

Oh, is this what you did at ICBC?
  • Matt R. likes this

#202 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:24 AM

Surprisingly I have to agree with this; I was told at one outlet (no idea if its true) that each McD's operated independently in terms of (coffee) suppliers and that the Pandora location at that point was supposedly using Seattle's Best. Not sure if that is true but at the time their coffee was good, very good in fact, and certainly far superior to anything I've ever experienced at Timmy's. 

I'm surprised at this as I was under the impression all McD's coffee was Gavina. They spent millions in marketing to come up with a consistent blend in order to capture a portion of the Tims/Starbucks market.

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:26 AM

It must be Gavina chain-wide otherwise you’d have inconsistencies between restaurants. I’ve had the odd coffee taste crappy at McD but that’s likely due to pilot error than the fault of the grinds. It’s surprisingly easy to mess up a pot of coffee.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:32 AM

I’ve had the odd coffee taste crappy at McD but that’s likely due to pilot error than the fault of the grinds. It’s surprisingly easy to mess up a pot of coffee.

No kidding.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...berta-1.4771198

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

Yup. You get busy enough and corners start getting cut. Some stores are better managed than others, that’s for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#206 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

I’ve had the odd coffee taste crappy at McD but that’s likely due to pilot error than the fault of the grinds. It’s surprisingly easy to mess up a pot of coffee.

It is the worst coffee in town and they serve it way too hot.

#207 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

Oh, is this what you did at ICBC?

LOL....thanks for the trip down memory lane and I'm flattered you take such an interest in my career that you would actually bother to get out of bed on a long weekend to post about it at 7:44am. No not what i did at ICBC which was purely a 6 month contract gig to bridge a gap period between engagements where I do what I really do. Happens to many mid-senior career people - no big deal, but thanks for asking.

But since you appear intensely curious on the matter "its what I did" among many other things at a very large credit union, a key public sector body, then most recently at one of largest unified communications networking companies in Western Canada. Your passionate interest in a thread on Timmy's is admirable Bob, re: my comments on it even more so. Are you shareholder?

#208 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

I'm surprised at this as I was under the impression all McD's coffee was Gavina. They spent millions in marketing to come up with a consistent blend in order to capture a portion of the Tims/Starbucks market.

Could well be, I never stated definitively that it was Seattle's Best, only that an employee mentioned it anecdotally which even then I took with a grain of salt.

My bigger issue with them isn't actually the coffee - BTW I realize as should everyone posting on the subject this is purely a matter of personal taste: clearly Tim's ain't my thing, but by all means for Tim's lovers, fill yer boots! - but rather the so-called food, which ranges from "meh" to dreadful, hence my initial comment on the subject. I didn't realize there were so many passionate Timmy's fans on VV, heh.....

#209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

I wonder if the franchisee simply opted for a cheaper coffee than the one supplied by corporate? Or at least infused a “filler” now and then?

Know it all.

#210 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

^I would doubt that is true, a lot of franchise head office send out quality control people.  I think it was Quiznos that actually has secret shoppers that actually dissect the sandwich even going as far as weighing the quantity of meat on the sandwich, etc to ensure the franchisee isn't cutting corners

McDonalds was always true for one thing a Big Mac tasted the same in Vancouver as in New York as in Tokyo.  I don't believe that a McDonald's franchisee can purchase lettuce, etc outside of corporate.  Have you ever seen a Sysco truck at McDonald's?  Why would it be different with the coffee?

They also spent a lot of money rolling out the McCafe line to grab a share from Timmy's, Starbucks, etc.  I can't see them cutting corners

#211 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:27 PM

LOL....thanks for the trip down memory lane and I'm flattered you take such an interest in my career that you would actually bother to get out of bed on a long weekend to post about it at 7:44am. No not what i did at ICBC which was purely a 6 month contract gig to bridge a gap period between engagements where I do what I really do. Happens to many mid-senior career people - no big deal, but thanks for asking.

Whoa, slow your roll, chief.  Methinks you fancy yourself too much.  You did go on and on about it in another thread.  All I am guilty of is having a good memory.

#212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

Fellas, chill. ASE is a major asset to this forum and Bob is too. Let’s not create an environment to chase each other away.

Know it all.

#213 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

Tim-Hortons-eyes-not-one-but-two-Sooke-locations.jpg

Tim Hortons is coming soon to Sooke's Evergreen Shopping Centre in the town's core. The location will be one of two Tim Hortons franchises opening in Sooke, with site preparations for a restaurant on T'Souke First Nation land already underway adjacent to Edward Milne Community School.

Tim Hortons eyes not one but two Sooke locations

Know it all.

#214 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

I'm a huge coffee snob (and therefore I prefer my own handmade coffee over anything I can get in a cafe), but I'm not sure if it's a decline in Starbucks' quality or something else, but lately I'd much rather hit Timmy's for a coffee than Starbucks.  For one, I can get a decent breakfast with a coffee for $6.50 at Timmy's, which just isn't possible elsewhere (McD's isn't really food).

The only downside is the Timmy's cups are so sh!t that halfway through a cup you need to microwave it.

• rmpeers likes this

#215 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

I'm a huge coffee snob (and therefore I prefer my own handmade coffee over anything I can get in a cafe), but I'm not sure if it's a decline in Starbucks' quality or something else, but lately I'd much rather hit Timmy's for a coffee than Starbucks. For one, I can get a decent breakfast with a coffee for $6.50 at Timmy's, which just isn't possible elsewhere (McD's isn't really food).

The only downside is the Timmy's cups are so sh!t that halfway through a cup you need to microwave it.

An egg mcmuffin with the ham is better for you than the tim hortons biscuit, especially if you go with sausage like most do. The ham egg mcmuffin is probably the most real food thing on their entire menu

#216 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:46 AM

An egg mcmuffin with the ham is better for you than the tim hortons biscuit, especially if you go with sausage like most do. The ham egg mcmuffin is probably the most real food thing on their entire menu

I miss the turkey option on Tim's breakfast sandwiches.

#217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:19 AM

The egg McMuffin is likely the most real thing on any fast food menu, in all seriousness.

Most don’t know this but you can also ask for a non-regular lid at Tim Hortons that’s shaped like most coffee lids. The standard flat lid is not great for the first five sips.
  • shoeflack likes this

Know it all.

#218 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

Ok, this is a little off topic geographically but...

A little taste of Canada: Tim Hortons opens first coffee shop in China

https://www.vicnews....-shop-in-china/

Sorry 'boot that, China.

#219 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

Ok, this is a little off topic geographically but...

A little taste of Canada: Tim Hortons opens first coffee shop in China

https://www.vicnews....-shop-in-china/

Sorry 'boot that, China.

......no kidding: it should have been Second Cup :)

#220 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:07 AM

Under-new-ownership,-Sooke's-Evergreen-Centre-dev-moves-forward-with-Tim-Hortons-drive-through.jpg
An artist's rendering of a 6,400 square foot addition to Sooke's Evergreen Centre shopping plaza at 6660 Sooke Road. The commercial complex will include a Tim Hortons restaurant with a drive-thru.

Under new ownership, Sooke's Evergreen Centre expansion moves forward with Tim Hortons drive-thru

https://victoria.cit...ons-drive-thru/

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users