Photo

Food Vouchers for panhandlers

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

I am not trying to guilt or shame you into anything. I am just tired of people complaining there is not enough action on helping the homeless, and then criticizing when someone actually tries to do something to help the homeless.

According to your concerns above, we need to study the problem further before trying to provide any possible solutions? What if I want to collect gloves for the street population this Christmas... should I be criticized because I didn't query the homeless to see if they would prefer socks instead? Is it a useless idea because I didnt show my work?

I get frustrated when people seem to just prefer to complain about a problem rather than try *anything*

Sorry, but you're completely missing my point. I'm not asking to study everything to death before making a move. It's obvious to anyone that handing out socks is a completely sensible and wanted action.

I'm simply questioning this particular voucher plan. It doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe someone will come back here after purchasing and handing out these vouchers to tell me I'm off my rocker. I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

I don't appreciate being told I would prefer to complain instead of doing anything. You don't know me from Adam.

#42 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Emotions are getting high when it comes to dealing with the homeless issue - not hard to see why. In a small downtown core the problem is obvious, and it ties into perceptions of crime and social degradation.

There is no reason why individual initiatives, handing out clothing etc. should not be part of the action, but we do need real, top down money going to grass roots to alleviate this. Into 2009 expect to see a big jump in the numbers looking to food banks and supported shelter - the families who themselves expected the 'middle class' lifestyle.

5000 jobs gone in forestry, retail sector dropping jobs, government in a 'non-declared' hiring freeze.

#43 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

There is no reason why individual initiatives, handing out clothing etc. should not be part of the action, but we do need real, top down money going to grass roots to alleviate this.

I agree, top down and bottom up (is that an actual phrase?)

#44 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

I agree, top down and bottom up (is that an actual phrase?)

LOL - likely not, but it works in sentiment!

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,080 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:08 AM

A non-profit organization that harvests and distributes fruit to food banks and soup ­kitchens says it needs a “major benefactor” to ensure thousands of kilograms of plums, apples and pears don’t end up rotting on the ground this fall.

Volunteers with the Life­Cycles Project typically pick fruit and other produce for Greater Victoria homeowners who can’t or don’t want to do it. The harvested fruit — apples, plums, pears, figs and quince — eventually makes it way to the Mustard Seed food bank and as many as 40 other social-service agencies.

The organization, which was founded 30 years ago, survives on single-year grants, private donations and volunteers, said Jess Gunnarson, chair of the board of the non-profit ­organization.

But after funding sources dwindled last year, the harvest was almost cancelled. “Last year we were faced with having to scale back significantly, as funding had dried up, putting popular programs like the Fruit Tree Project in doubt,” Gunnarson said.

https://www.timescol...p-going-8138721

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2024 - 09:08 AM.

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:13 AM

Meanwhile, the CoV spent $11 million to purchase land for a park nobody wants or needs along a one block strip of Blanshard Street. 🙄
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#47 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,080 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:17 AM

Until 2 days ago nobody knew the City was looking for land for a park.

• Matt R. likes this

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:23 AM

But we certainly know the city makes highly questionable decisions on how it spends our money.

#49 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 11:02 AM

The homeless and people on social assistance have plenty of free time to pick this fruit. Maybe they can chip in and help. Although I wouldn't want same druggie overdosing while picking apples from my tree.

#50 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 11:55 AM

Until 2 days ago nobody knew the City was looking for land for a park.

City of Victoria strategic plan 2023 -2026 {General framework and goals for the city.)

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=89622

#51 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,080 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 12:00 PM

This?

We will create more parks, recreation and gathering spaces, and nurture arts, culture, music, sport and entertainment as they create an experiential city.

#52 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 12:04 PM

To hell with the crappy roads and crime.
  • Nparker likes this

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 12:10 PM

...We will create more parks, recreation and gathering spaces, and nurture arts, culture, music, sport and entertainment as they create an experiential city...

When you govern by the "lipstick on a pig" rule.  :whyme:

#54 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,049 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 12:12 PM

That’s too bad, the FTP does great work and adds value every step of the way.

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 12:13 PM

File Transfer Protocol?

#56 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,049 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 12:17 PM

lol. Fruit transfer protocol.

Fruit Tree Project.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#57 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 20 January 2024 - 02:23 PM

This?

We will create more parks, recreation and gathering spaces, and nurture arts, culture, music, sport and entertainment as they create an experiential city.

Translation: We're opening up more space for homeless encampments, for drug users to lay themselves out cold and to store their shopping carts loaded with junk.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 09:17 AM

Talking to an RCMP member the other day, a commander of a local detachment no less, he said “everyone from Manitoba west is moving to the Island, they don’t want the cold any more, and follow the services. If you build it they will come and we keep building it.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 Beacon

Beacon
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 11:26 AM

Talking to an RCMP member the other day, a commander of a local detachment no less, he said “everyone from Manitoba west is moving to the Island, they don’t want the cold any more, and follow the services. If you build it they will come and we keep building it.”

we keep adding services thinking we will solve the  homeless problem but adding more services just causes more to come, making the problem worse.  It will never be solved and actually will be counter productive since if services are overloaded and problems and disorder results, people will have less "compassion" to help.  By adding more services and not limiting new people they actually are making helping homelessness harder here. For some reason this concept is hard for many folks in Victoria to grasp.

• Nparker, spanky123, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 11:43 AM

Misguided compassion is an epidemic in Victoria. I blame UVic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users