http://beervana.blog...a-round-up.html

lighthouse rebranding

http://www.canadianb...look-new-beers/
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#502 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Victoria should brand a 'brewery district'. Rock Bay is teeming with them. People might be more willing to stay in hotel/motel in that area if if were called The Brewery District.

I know when I'm in Portland, I see 'Brewery District' on the tourist map and want to be there.

• lanforod likes this

#503 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

The rise of craft beer in British Columbia has been astonishing – and there’s still no end in sight.

At the end of a year in which 17 new breweries opened – with at least another five imminent – B.C. now boasts 83 separate beer-producing concerns, according to Brewed Awakening’s latest reckoning. That’s almost double the tally from five years ago. And that number will likely top 100 in 2015, with at least an additional 20 breweries past the planning stages.

All of these breweries are relatively small operations located in industrial zones of the province’s cities, mostly in the Lower Mainland. Almost exclusively, these breweries find they have to order more tanks shortly after opening, just to keep up with demand. They literally cannot make beer fast enough.

Why this unquenchable thirst?

Many in the industry make it clear that craft beer is not a fad – it’s here to stay. While some microbreweries may in future fall by the wayside due to poor sales, poor location, failed business plans, or inconsistent product, dozens of others are set to remain entrenched in B.C.

Craft beer’s popularity is partly explained by residents’ desire to support local businesses, says Ken Beattie, president of the B.C. Craft Brewers Guild, which currently counts 41 of the province’s breweries as members.

“We’re very conscious of where things are created, how they’re created and ideally by who they’re created. And the brewing industry fits perfectly into that box,” Beattie says, adding that the craft beer scene also satisfies more modern needs.

“It’s constantly changing, so it satisfies this constant information thing. There’s always something new. I can find out about anything two thumbs away. I can try any beer I want to try by going to a liquor store or a local brewery. I can find out about styles, I can have a conversation with the person who makes the beer or an expert. I can grow my knowledge through trying it.

“The accessibility is at an all-time high. The amount of creativity is at an all time high.”

http://blogs.theprov...for-craft-beer/
  • Mr Cook Street and thundergun like this

#504 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

Tried Hoyne's 'Gratitude' winter beer last night. Excellent, smooth, and deceptively high in alcohol.

#505 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Any idea where it might be available on draft?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#506 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Any idea where it might be available on draft?

Good question, but not a clue.

#507 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

While not from a Victoria brewery, this pale ale from last year's first time Vancouver nano-brewery CBA entrant Powell Street Craft Brewery, won "beer of the year" for its "Old Jalopy Pale Ale", besting 764 entries from 120 craft breweries across Canada.  As this full-time architect, part-time brewer only made 20K litres of beer last year I thought I'd never be able to try it - until today when I saw it at Spinnaker's Spirit Merchants.  Now I'm not usually a big pale ale fan, but this was good - especially coupled with some "nonna marcella" pulled-pork pasta from Ferris'.  :thumbsup:

16030407012_75e3243fe1_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 22 December 2014 - 09:30 AM.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#508 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

New craft beer business brewing on Saanich Peninsula

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#509 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

they only had two beers available, a saison & black IPA. Both were pretty decent & I'm looking forward to trying the releases coming out in the new year, which I think are a pale ale & maybe a tripel?

#510 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

Just had the 4 mile brewing co bourbon barrel aged English strong... Excellent!

#511 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

New craft beer business brewing on Saanich Peninsula

Tried the Black IPA, believe it is called Disruption. Really good.

#512 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Victoria Beer Week has released the full 2015 Schedule (March 7-15).

http://victoriabeerweek.com/

Last year was great and the events this year look even better. 

Edited by sasamat, 11 January 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#513 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

Victoria Beer Week has released the full 2015 Schedule (March 7-15).

http://victoriabeerweek.com/

Last year was great and the events this year look even better. 

Thanks, we have been working on it for a while. 

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#514 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

Gorge Pt. has the first Lucky beer on tap around here since the 80's, they say.

10389014_10153380567077203_6338791861815

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#515 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

Excellent.

The next closest would be the Black Swan Pub in Shawnigan Lake, I'm pretty sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#516 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Starbucks to sell beer and wine?  don't they need a liquor licence?

#517 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Starbucks to sell beer and wine?  don't they need a liquor licence?

Yes, but it's (a food-primary licence) pretty easy to get.  City Hall is not involved, so it's just the usual check-off list with the liquor people.

#518 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

category 12 & loghouse

http://blogs.theprov...weries-in-2015/
  • thundergun likes this

#519 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

Sooke Oceanside Brewery is on there as well.

Have a Category 12 in my fridge at the moment that I'm looking forward to. Can't say I'm expecting much out of Loghouse though. Nice to see all the breweries opening up island.

#520 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

The big challenges facing big craft, part 1
May 28, 2015. 11:52 am

Matt Phillips opened his brewery in Victoria in 2001. After moving to a downtown location in 2004, he gradually took over the leases of neighbouring properties. Phillips Brewing Company now occupies most of that city block, and has become the sixth biggest brewery in B.C., according to a list of the province’s biggest breweries published in February by Business In Vancouver magazine.

As a rough estimate of how his business has grown, Phillips says on a good day his brewery makes the same amount of beer that he made in his first entire year of operation.

parts 1 & 2
http://blogs.theprov...g-craft-part-1/
http://blogs.theprov...g-craft-part-2/
  • johnk likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users