amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

here they come
http://beermebc.com/...-available-now/

new one from cat 12
http://beermebc.com/...simplicity-ale/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 19 September 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#542 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

about cascadia
http://blogs.theprov...region-of-beer/

#543 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

Ontario's popular Mill St. craft brewery was just bought out by Labatt. Meanwhile, Labatt's parent InBev is trying to buy fellow super-brewer SABMiller, which, if successful, would create a massive conglomerate incorporating hundreds of global brands under one roof: Budweiser, Miller, Michelob, Lowenbrau, Labatt, Alexander Keiths, Beck's, Kokanee, Fosters, Stella Artois, Peroni, Corona, Pilsner Urquell, Olde English 800, Henry Weinhard's and hundreds more. Scary stuff.

I think I'll have me a Phillips. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 09 October 2015 - 12:34 PM.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#544 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

Ontario's popular Mill St. craft brewery was just bought out by Labatt. Meanwhile, Labatt's parent InBev is trying to buy fellow super-brewer SABMiller, which, if successful, would create a massive conglomerate incorporating hundreds of global brands under one roof: Budweiser, Miller, Michelob, Lowenbrau, Labatt, Alexander Keiths, Beck's, Kokanee, Fosters, Stella Artois, Peroni, Corona, Pilsner Urquell, Olde English 800, Henry Weinhard's and hundreds more. Scary stuff.

And think, it has nothing to do with Harper!

:cheers:

:1954_dancing:

• Daveyboy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#545 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

Looks like the InBev/SABMiller merger is happening. the new company would own 18 of the top 40 beers by volume. It still has to be approved because there are some legit monopoly issues in some markets.

http://money.cnn.com...bmiller/?iid=EL

#546 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:25 AM

With a van full of 14 people from Victoria, Alberta, the United States and New Zealand, Elton Walker hits the road, making his way towards Phillips Brewing, the largest craft brewer on Vancouver Island.

“Is everybody ready to drink some craft beer?” he says enthusiastically. The passengers reply with a quiet “Yeah.”

During the drive, Walker talks about the history of Victoria’s craft beer scene — one that dates back to 1856 when the Victoria Brewery opened on the corner of Government and Discovery streets.

The city has since become the craft beer capital of B.C., which Walker says is in a craft beer revolution. At the start of the year, there were 93 breweries throughout the province, but that number has since jumped to slightly more than 100. Victoria is home to at least a dozen.

“It’s a pretty good sign of where the industry is at for craft beer,” said Walker, who hails from New Zealand and conceived his business, West Coast Brewery Tours, about three years ago thanks to visits from family and friends.

During the next three hours, we’re slated to tour two other microbreweries — Lighthouse Brewing Company in Esquimalt and Moon Under Water in Rock Bay, where the bulk of the city’s microbreweries are located.

http://www.bclocalne.../332735791.html

#547 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

Sooke Brewing Co. @SookeBrewingCo

We are a start up craft brewery located in beautiful Sooke, B.C. Launching Summer 2016!

Sooke, British Columbia

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

????

screenshot-twitter.com 2015-11-15 13-04-10.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#549 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

You can read that second tweet down right? Your image is not the same entity.

#550 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

Another massive InBev purchase as Labatt's sucks up some prominent beers and ciders:

Labatt Breweries, a segment of the world’s largest beer company AB InBev, announced late Tuesday that it will buy a Canadian portfolio of brands including Palm Bay, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Okanagan Cider Co., and Turning Point Brewery, which makes Stanley Park beers. The move is designed to cash in on shifting consumer tastes away from big name beers.
It will pay $350 million (U.S.) to Vancouver-based Mark Anthony Group, which will continue to retain the rights to sell Mike’s in the U.S.

http://www.thestar.c...ink-habits.html

#551 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

^ none of those are drinkable by anyone over 25.

Which of course means they will still make a pile of money.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#552 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:31 PM

Mike's is what allows Mission Hill to devote so much money to making great wine in a beautiful facility.  Cha-ching!!

Matt.

#553 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

Now that Phillips is experiencing increasing popularity across Canada, I bet Labatt's is keeping a close eye on them, too. But I would be very surprised if any local brewery sold out to a mega-brewery.

#554 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:40 AM

Now that Phillips is experiencing increasing popularity across Canada, I bet Labatt's is keeping a close eye on them, too. But I would be very surprised if any local brewery sold out to a mega-brewery.

It would not surprise me. I think one will be bought up.

• Matt R. likes this

#555 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

It's all about the $$$. Phillips will likely be the first to sell, but that won't mean Matt Phillips will disappear, the entire operation will likely be retained as-is but distribution will quadruple which means another brewery will open elsewhere.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#556 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:25 AM

I disagree. Being bought out is probably the ideal exit strategy for most boutique brewers.

#557 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

It's exit strategy for 99.999% of businesses.
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.

#558 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

It's exit strategy for 99.999% of businesses.

Yup.

#559 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

This weekend I tried the beers available from Axe and Barrel brewery, which runs out of the old Loghouse Liquor Store location on Millstream. Once the Loghouse reopens, I believe it will be called the Axe and Barrel and sell their beer offerings on the menu.

I was fairly impressed with their initial offerings, many of which are braver than I would have expected. They are currently offering

- a Session Lager which is a slightly hoppier take on lager

- a Rye Pale Ale made with flakes of rye, which was creamy, easy to drink, similar to Innis and Gunn, and

- an IPA which was quality but at least in Victoria is middle of the road.

- a Citrus Witbier which was quite nice, very Belgian with citrus and lemongrass -- an excellent summer beer,

- a Sour with spruce tips, which, if you enjoy sours, is quite interesting with a mix of sour and bitter flavours from the yeast and spruce with a bit of sweetness.

After completing a growler of the rye pale ale, I have to say I was quite pleased with the quality of the beer. All the beers struck me as being well balanced, and being capable of enjoyed repeatedly. I look forward to seeing their progression.

. Their growler fills are a bit on the high side ($11-12) but, especially for Westshore folks, having a place in town producing quality craft beer is super convenient and a great addition to the neighbourhood.

• nagel likes this

#560 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

national news
http://www.canadianb...in-langford-bc/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users