The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#881 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:36 PM

Never once had a sales rep contact for me for restaurant or retail sales.

It’s tough out there. The impacts of the bc ndp and federal liberal governments on small business cannot be overstated.

Edit: I imagine the impacts on medium and large business is just as bad but they maybe have more runway to burn.

Edited by Matt R., 10 January 2024 - 07:37 PM.

#882 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:45 PM

That said, the small craft beer market seems saturated too.
  • Matt R. likes this

#883 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:52 PM

Absolutely. It’s actually difficult to decide which packaged beers to stock.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#884 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 08:14 PM

Moon Under Water Brewpub and Distillery has been producing its product on Bay Street in Victoria for 12 years.

“When we started, we were the 50th brewery in the province. Now there are 240,” says owner Clay Potter. “We all got out of COVID hoping to recover and see a big boom. A lot of breweries went into debt to stay afloat and keep their staff. We got out, and the economy and the market just hasn’t kicked back yet.”

Potter says there’s a shift in consumer habits.

“Young drinkers just aren’t drinking beer,” he says. “Boomers loved beer, but in many cases, that generation has been told by their doctors to cut back.”

In response, Moon Under Water has gone big on non-alcoholic beer. The Dry Side of the Moon is their most popular “near-beer,” and Potter’s walk-in cooler is stocked to the ceiling with flats of their popular product.

“Non-alcoholic beer sales are up 2000% from a couple of years ago,” he says.

https://www.cheknews...island-1179317/

Or to simply stop drinking altogether; my GP was a typical doctor way back in the day but told me he hasn't touched booze in over 25 years now. The number of people I know today who don't imbibe - at all - not only exceeds the number who do, but does so by a wide margin.

I started 'cutting (way) back' before I was 50. By 55 I was literally down to a couple of drinks annually, a very cold beer on a very hot day being about the only scenario that would tempt me. I can't even tell you what decade I last had a glass of wine and my last mixed drink was easily 5+ years ago. And I haven't had any drinks in over three years now, cold beers included. Not missed either.

Medical research today understands far more about the actual adverse effects of alcohol on the body than it did even 10-15 years ago. At the very top of the list are a host of cancers including prostate, throat, esophageal and one of the very worst of them all, pancreatic, where alcohol plays a major role. No thanks to all of them.

So for whatever their own personal reason(s) I say good on the younger generation(s) coming up for cutting back and/or increasingly turning exclusively to the non-alcoholic products.

• Matt R. likes this

#885 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 09:19 PM

Yes, the impacts from alcohol are not good.

I’ve been harping on about this subject for some time. Victoria in particular has too much of a booze scene that it just can’t shake.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#886 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,062 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 01:38 PM

'Beer tax' increase capped at 2 per cent until 2026, Freeland announces

The alcohol excise tax was set to increase on April 1 by 4.7%, tied to inflation

https://www.cbc.ca/n...years-1.7139374

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2024 - 01:38 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#887 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 02:50 PM

The carbon taxes already factored into the price of alcohol and their upcoming rise will more than make up that revenue, let us not worry.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#888 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 03:19 PM

That tax was mere pennies per package. Thanks, feds!

#889 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 06:48 PM

So shameless and self serving for the Libs.  Just like their "no carbon tax on home heating oil" primarily benefitting the maritimes.  All about squeaking a few more votes.  They must think we are really dumb....actually a lot of us are!

#890 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 06:57 PM

...hey must think we are really dumb....actually a lot of us are!

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

― George Carlin

• phx and Daveyboy like this

#891 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:38 AM

50% of us are below-average intelligence.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:52 PM

Florida brewery faces backlash for its 'Epi Pen' peanut-flavoured beer

Advocates say making light of allergies isn't funny — it's dangerous

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-beer-1.7161997

Research shows that making fun of any medical condition is dangerous because it diminishes its perceived seriousness, Gerdt said. And the allergy community relies on having an informed community to support navigating safe food choices and avoid having potentially life-threatening reactions.

"Sometimes people will say, 'Can't you take a joke?' I get it, but when you look at the broader implications around the community taking it less seriously, that is counter to what the community needs."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2024 - 12:54 PM.

#893 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:18 PM

"Allergy community"? Is this a protected class now? Will the brewery be charged with a hate crime?

#894 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:28 PM

Yes, medical conditions and disabilities are protected.
  • m3m likes this

#895 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:32 PM

Protected from jokes though?

MASH and ER had lots of jokes.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#896 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:34 PM

#clownworld - no sense of humour edition

• dasmo likes this

#897 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:30 PM

Protected from jokes though?

MASH and ER had lots of jokes.

Soon enough!

#898 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:31 PM

I’m a little sensitive as the parent of a child with a life threatening food allergy. It’s just not funny. You go ahead though.

#899 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 07:12 PM

Often so hard for some to understand when they are not wearing the shoes of someone else when they joke around or make light on a subject or issue,

You can still have fun without crushing someone else. I also have family with epi pen concerns.

Not an attempt to squash free speech but to increase awareness that words matter. 

Where and how does each individual know where the line is or is there some line?

If there are lines does the line change as society changes?

#900 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:24 PM

I struggle to see the upside for a marketing campaign like this, it just feels like punching down.

Not that I have access to it anyways, but as a retail purchaser I would avoid this entire brand and anyone associated with it for all time. All fine and well, as long as on the other side people are buying it *because* they think it’s funny but I don’t think that’s the case. Hurts them more than it helps.

But it’s Floriduh, after all…

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users