Photo

Public Art - Do you like it? e.g. Arena or Bastion Sq.?

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#61 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

are you saying military families have less developed taste in art ?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#62 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

No.

#63 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

I like it - I think there is room for the traditional bronze statue that doesn`t look like anything but what it is meant to commemorate. Not all public art should require a degree to appreciate. Sometimes it is ok to `challenge` the viewer. Other times it is ok to warm the heart or remember history.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#64 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

I like it - I think there is room for the traditional bronze statue that doesn`t look like anything but what it is meant to commemorate. Not all public art should require a degree to appreciate. Sometimes it is ok to `challenge` the viewer. Other times it is ok to warm the heart or remember history.

Yes yes yes! This is the most sensible comment I have read in a looooong time!

#65 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

Jacques is right (edit: imo) - it is kitschy, for sure.

While military families might be counted among the audience for this piece, I'm not convinced they are the primary target audience. I'd bet tourists are: Butchart Gardens donates to it. Note: nothing wrong with that, but it's worth noting.

Public art builds a city's image. We should ask ourselves what sort of image - and story - we're building.

Is a 14-year-old whose dad or mom is in the military going to be "touched" by this?

The question for me is, if you're going to choose a "moment" such as having a young girl reunite with her father, why choose that particular moment over others? A young girl, not yet in the throes of puberty or rebellion, a girl and her father, ...oh, it's a Hallmark moment for sure.

Simple affect. I'm sure the tourists will remember it, and that's what will count.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#66 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I snapped this up the other morning. I think it really enhances Maury Baden's sculpture.

#67 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

A fresh look at public art
Lecture and Focus Group Discussion
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Victoria City Hall

What are the benefits
of public art?
What kind of public
art do you want to
see in Victoria?
How could public art
be funded and selected?
The City of Victoria is reviewing its Public Art Policy
and invites the public to an interactive evening,
featuring a lecture and focus group discussion.
Join Cath Brunner, Director of Seattle’s
Public Art4Culture, to learn how public art
can be incorporated into public spaces and
infrastructure projects.
Following the lecture, participants will break
into focus groups to discuss how the City’s
Public Art Policy can be “refreshed”.
We hope you can join us.
Pieta VanDyke

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

I don't understand that big blank wall the non-video side of the video screen wedge. Put some art, or an SK logo up there! Or a portrait of Graham Lee!

#69 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

At last, the director of the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria calls out The Homecoming for what it is:

The problem I have with this work is not only that it is overly sentimental, but that after we look at it once we don't really have to see it or think about it again because it's all been done for us.

http://www.timescolo...3142/story.html

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

I dunno, I like The Homecoming. 95% of Victorians and even less tourists have ever visited the Art Gallery, so I'm not sure his opinion speaks for all of us, or just for art "experts". Does he think that mattress is better?

#71 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

I'd agree with the director - it's pretty treacly. If people come away thinking that Victorians consider that art, I think I'd be as sad as if they came away thinking Kokanee was our best local brew.

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

I'm not sure it is supposed to be some type of highbrow art. It is supposed to be easy for all to understand the meaning. It's a tribute to our armed forces personnel, not some type of sophisticated piece.

http://www.homecomin...ing_statue.html

#73 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

I'm not sure it is supposed to be some type of highbrow art. It is supposed to be easy for all to understand the meaning. It's a tribute to our armed forces personnel, not some type of sophisticated piece.

http://www.homecomin...ing_statue.html

I like it actually.

They also showed the Orca whale sculpture made from plants on the news the other day.

Certainly both much better than the pile of space junk that landed in front of the arena.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#74 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

I dislike it. Not only is not good public art. It is not even good art. I mean they don't even look like people.

#75 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

i mean they don't even look like people.

I really did laugh out load. :D

#76 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

There's a pretty neat sculpture in front of the recently renovated 3939 Quadra. Pic - http://maps.google.c...,19.65,,1,-4.88

#77 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I like when you hover your mouse over the building it gives the address 3934 Quadra.

Can't it read or what's the problem???!!!:)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#78 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Here's a neat idea: Play Me – I'm Yours, a series of pianos that a UK artist has installed on city streets around the world. From the artist's statement:

Who plays them and how long they remain is up to each community. Each piano acts as sculptural, musical, blank canvas that becomes a reflection of the communities it is embedded into. Many pianos are personalised and decorated.

Questioning the ownership and rules of public space ‘Play Me, I’m Yours’ is a provocation, inviting the public to engage with, activate and take ownership of their urban environment.

With all the conservatory students in Victoria, such a piano could see a lot of use. Or would it just be vandalized by yahoos? That too would be a reflection of the community.

This is the kind of Burning Man aesthetic we need more of in our public art: no one is a spectator, everyone is a participant.

#79 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

Bronze Emily keeps eye on Legislature

By Robert Randall • Published on Thursday, October 14, 2010

But would Emily approve?

Dignitaries today unveiled a larger-than-life bronze statue of iconic Victoria-born artist Emily Carr at a ceremony outside the Fairmont Empress hotel Wednesday afternoon.

Hundreds of spectators gathered under a brilliant blue sky as the cloth was pulled off the bronze sculpture that will now reside permanently at a prominent location near the corner of Douglas and Belleville Streets, a spot more than one wag said was appropriate as the revered painter and writer will now cast a steely eye in the direction of the nearby Legislature.

more...

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

CHEK News on Facebook:

What's wrong with Emily Carr? Find out tonight at 5 with Scott Fee!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users