Photo

Times Colonist

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

Poll: The Times Colonist: Will it survive? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

The Times Colonist: Will it survive?

1. Yes - The TC will always be here as a daily paper (17 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. Yes - but not a daily (26 votes [32.10%])

Percentage of vote: 32.10%

3. Yes - but Internet only (13 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

4. No - it is no longer viable (25 votes [30.86%])

Percentage of vote: 30.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#501 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

The IP address traces back to the TC. Whether Hmmm is a reporter or not we have no way of knowing. But it wouldn't be hard for the company itself to track back who it was; all they have to do is check their Internet logs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#502 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

It's like arguing with the Tea Party, for God's sake.

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. - Thomas Jefferson :D

I like the TC. Part of its charm stems from the ongoing, circumstantial tug-of-war between local focus and broad appeal. You have to admit: local issues can make Victorians seem terribly provincial. Letters to the Editor are sometimes more comedic than the Funnies. Being an 'orange' constituency can be a problem, as it puts off surrounding constituencies that don't share the same bent. The same can be said of "Green" content and marijuana advocacy, which bemuses outsiders.

Victoria City Hall provides interesting material in the form of controversial white elephants. From pop-up-urinals to amalgamation to LRT to widening deficits to a $60,000.00 ice rink, as Forrest Gump would say, "You never know what you're gonna get." It will be a dark day for local journalists when Victorians elect boring conservatives.

The migration of most flyers to News Group publications is a significant negative. I make a special effort to snag the latest issue in my area for the flyers alone. My neighbors do the same. Wonder if the TC is missing an opportunity.

IMO the TC does a decent job of distinguishing itself from competition. It's nice to sit down with coffee and enjoy some light reading on paper. You don't expect cutting-edge world content for the comparatively low price we pay, though a little more would be welcome and appreciated.

One small thing I find annoying is the special front sheet where most of the page is cut away, leaving a narrow strip down the left-hand side.

JMO, FWIW! :rolleyes:

#503 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

There is no place for negativity in life...

HUH?

You sound like Pastor Robert Schuller. "Just think positive! Ignore the negative!" :D

#504 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

">http://www.timescolo...y.html#Comments

Not going to register for another forum just to point it out. Looks like 1/2 of comments are pulled on that site anyways

#505 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

HUH?

You sound like Pastor Robert Schuller. "Just think positive! Ignore the negative!" :D

Bless you Mighty Schnook.....that was exactly what I was thinking.

#506 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think the TC should have some free articles and charge for "premium" content instead of this xx articles per month stuff.

We don't need to pay to read an article on today's wind warming, or a picture slideshow on how to go broke fast.

Charge for stuff worth reading, not for stuff that's freely available elsewhere.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#507 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

^ I wonder how this is working for them?

Many articles I do find elsewhere and repost on Facebook or Twitter.

#508 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

There's so much free news available online - they're probably better off making money from the advertising than charging for access.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#509 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

As a digital subscriber to the T-C, a significant value added - the ability to read digital editions of papers across the country (Sun, Province, Edmonton Journal etc) has now been eliminated. Now all I can read aside from the TC is Nanaimo Daily News and the Alberni Something or Other. Not impressed. I gather this is due to the sale of the paper. Seriously doubt the subscription fee will reflect "value lost".

#510 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

For news I like this http://www.castanet.net/ other than vibrantvictoria.ca I wish there was something local like this with more local news. A lot of Interior people I talk to this is their home page to the internet can't say the same for the T-C or vicnews etc

#511 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

It boggles my mind people actually still use "traditional" news sources with their utter lack of any sort of investigative journalism or integrity, let alone PAY for it.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#512 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

As a digital subscriber to the T-C, a significant value added - the ability to read digital editions of papers across the country (Sun, Province, Edmonton Journal etc) has now been eliminated. Now all I can read aside from the TC is Nanaimo Daily News and the Alberni Something or Other. Not impressed. I gather this is due to the sale of the paper. Seriously doubt the subscription fee will reflect "value lost".

DO you have problems accessing the digital edition? I have ongoing issues. It was OK for about a week, and now the last 2 days - I cannot access. It keeps bumping me to the online timescolonist.com edition, that I don't subscribe to. I pay monthly for the TC digital edition.

I am now wondering if it is a Windows 7 issue?

#513 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:28 AM

Today, I can access TC digital edition. It works seamlessly. And it doesn't require a sign in either!

#514 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

Jody Paterson is leaving the TC.

http://www.timescolo...6055/story.html

#515 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Jody Paterson is leaving the TC.

http://www.timescolo...6055/story.html

Paul Willcocks is leaving as well, they are moving to Honduras

#516 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

Paul Willcocks is leaving as well, they are moving to Honduras

Losing these two will leave a huge hole in the journa...BAHAHAHA, I couldn't even type that without bursting into laughter, let alone say it! :D

#517 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

She mentioned this some weeks ago on her blog; and while I think her motivation to assist others (PEERS etc) is obviously commendable it did get awfully tiresome over the years to read her constant and generally negative take on various aspects of Victoria/BC/Canadian society. I think she even acknowledged her tendency to be a glass is half full type of writer. Someone I know recently referred to her as "Debbie Downer". Indeed.

While there is no doubt there is always room for improvement in this or any society I think Ms. Paterson is going to get a serious wakeup all in Honduras: think things aren't great here? Time spent in a 3rd world country such as Honduras, much like I suspect a stint served in the North Korean Army, will put anyone on notice that, on balance, we have it pretty cushy in this part of the world. Should be interesting to hear her insights on the blog during the next 12 months....

#518 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Time spent in a 3rd world country such as Honduras, much like I suspect a stint served in the North Korean Army, will put anyone on notice that, on balance, we have it pretty cushy in this part of the world. Should be interesting to hear her insights on the blog during the next 12 months....

I suspect it will be our fault that folks have it so bad there...

#519 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Cause of Sooke mobile-home fire under investigation

timescolonist.com February 5, 2012 5:13 PM

http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1lZ2KZBFc

Owner Christie Smedley and her two sons

The family, whose names were not disclosed

:confused:

#520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

^odd.

On a sidenote, David Obie (sp?) will be taking over the Editor-in-Chief position from Acting Editor-in-Chief Denise Helm. Denise Helm took over after Lucinda Choden departed for Edmonton.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users