• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:10 AM

225-child daycare facility proposed for West Shore's Bear Mountain and South Skirt Mountain communities

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:14 AM

childcare seems like such a big hassle.  a parent goes to work but has to give $1500 salary back just for childcare.  

it's too bad we could not chemically but safely just put them to sleep somehow (maybe in the car at the work parking lot) while the parent works.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 November 2020 - 10:14 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:31 AM

...it's too bad we could not chemically but safely just put them to sleep somehow (maybe in the car at the work parking lot) while the parent works.

Or just don't have children in the first place.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#124 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:41 AM

Avoid the whole parent situation, then you don't have to pay for a child-minder or give up your life.

• Nparker likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#125 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

Avoid the whole parent situation, then you don't have to pay for a child-minder or give up your life.

Until you're old and sitting alone at Christmas...

• AllseeingEye, Matt R., Lorenzo and 1 other like this

#126 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

They come in handy when dementia sets in.

• Matt R. likes this

#127 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

childcare seems like such a big hassle.  a parent goes to work but has to give $1500 salary back just for childcare.  

it's too bad we could not chemically but safely just put them to sleep somehow (maybe in the car at the work parking lot) while the parent works.

At $10 a day that's only like $300.

I pay $40 a day for someone to look after my dog when I am away.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

That’s not a real thing. It was a botched election promise from 2017.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:58 PM

It was promised again in 2020.

Oh, and the feds have promised it as well.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:01 PM

Oh I can imagine. Right now it’s about $900/month, at the low end. 20 days of the month, or $45/day. Most people I know pay well above that.

Know it all.

#131 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:23 PM

I'd have to look back but I believe mine was ~$1,200 but that was a while back now.  It gets less as they get older especially once they start going to school.

#132 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:15 AM

Until you're old and sitting alone at Christmas...

Hah! Assumining I'll either live to be old, or do Christmas.

Having children guarantees nothing but that someone out there will resent you for very specific reasons.

~ Jasmine ~

#133 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:17 AM

They come in handy when dementia sets in.

I'd think one would rather have the funds for a trained professional in that scenario, rather than putting one's family through the emotional trauma of trying to remember one's face every morning.

• Nparker likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#134 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:37 AM

Jasnibe: I settled for a young wife instead of kids. Seems like the better deal. 

• Matt R. and jasmineshinga like this

#135 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:59 AM

Having children guarantees nothing but that someone out there will resent you for very specific reasons.

I know everyone is different and there certainly isn't a right or wrong answer when it comes to having kids.  My view is skewed since (so far) I have had nothing but a wonderful experience and I can't imagine my kids resenting me for something, but I guess time will tell.  

Everyone picks their own path and as long as they are happy with their decision, then that's all that matters.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#136 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:29 PM

I know everyone is different and there certainly isn't a right or wrong answer when it comes to having kids.  My view is skewed since (so far) I have had nothing but a wonderful experience and I can't imagine my kids resenting me for something, but I guess time will tell.  

Everyone picks their own path and as long as they are happy with their decision, then that's all that matters.

Totally concur; I can't imagine not having our daughter - all the good the bad and frankly the PITA experiences that came with it - but that's me.

I'm very much looking forward to being "gramps" one day and being surrounded by extended family. Growing up locally for the most part we had six members of the immediate family so holidays etc were always happy affairs; my mom's extended family in Nova Scotia now numbers some 25+ people so one can picture Thanksgivings and Christmas' past. Riotous at times, but full of love and happy memories.

Also our own mother is in Year 14 of dementia, while we're peripherally on that subject, and I cannot equally imagine her final years wasting away in a long term care home, alone, without her children (my sister and me) visiting her regularly. I see other patients on her ward apparently with no living family - or at least no one who can be bothered to visit - and a sadder vision you cannot imagine.

That said my sister and brother in law decided even while they were still dating back in the 80's that they did not want kids. Twenty eight years later after their marriage they are still going strong. To each their own.

#137 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:38 PM

Hmmm I guess we have a pretty good idea about how your childhood went...  :banana: 

1000% yes. Having kids, not having kids, it's your own choice, never shame others for their choices.

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:40 PM

I think this thread had truly earned this
off-topic.jpg

#139 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

^ MY GOD MAN.....WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN?  (kidding)

#140 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:45 PM

^ MY GOD MAN.....WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN?  (kidding)

What do you think we're doing?!! All we are doing IS thinking about children!

Anyways, yeah, back on topic: Interesting to see this up Bear Mountain Parkway. I assumed it would be 100% residential on the south slope but I guess not!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users