Photo

Municipal Property Taxes

• Please log in to reply
892 replies to this topic

#421 Tony

Tony
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:53 AM

No free lunch with parking. The cost is built into the product or service price. Much of the  difference between a pay parking spot and a non pay is that you do no see the bill but it is still there. Just like the PST and GST on your receipt.

Lots of great small independent business downtown that want to earn my business. I do not require parking downtown as I live downtown and walk everywhere.

I save the City provided parking spaces for those choose to drive in downtown.

• Ismo07 and Brayvehart like this

#422 TimM

TimM
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:21 AM

Except the price downtown and the price in the burbs is the same, except that I have to pay for parking downtown.  Better yet, order online and have it shipped to my door or direct from China usually for less.  It seems many stores I go to are out of stock these days and they tell me they can order it in to which I reply so can I, right to my door.

I am curious if you own or rent?

I am also curious, how many other people on this forum are choosing to avoid downtown?  It seems like a lot to me by the comments

#423 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:24 AM

...I am also curious, how many other people on this forum are choosing to avoid downtown?...

I live downtown and for the most part I choose to avoid it.

#424 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:49 AM

I used to live and had my studio downtown. More than a decade. My least favourite part was when I started to see human s***t walking to my office. The junkies ever increasing was something I could avoid. Then the measures hit and my last employee had just quit at the beginning of 2020 and my lease was up in August. Glad I got out because it’s much worse now. I don’t avoid downtown though. I avoid certain areas. One caught me by surprise the other day. The square behind the parkade in bastion square. Taking a friend out to dinner and I thought the restaurant was there. Oops….

Edited by dasmo, 27 November 2023 - 09:50 AM.

#425 Tony

Tony
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:51 AM

Except the price downtown and the price in the burbs is the same, except that I have to pay for parking downtown.  Better yet, order online and have it shipped to my door or direct from China usually for less.  It seems many stores I go to are out of stock these days and they tell me they can order it in to which I reply so can I, right to my door.

I am curious if you own or rent?

I am also curious, how many other people on this forum are choosing to avoid downtown?  It seems like a lot to me by the comments

If the product is the same and the price is the same,  it meets you quality and size requirements and you can have it delivered to your door why shop  anywhere else but on line.

An ongoing challenge for shops downtown and in the burbs.

I own.

Given the title of the forum I am surprised at the overall negative tone especially towards downtown. No need to sugar coat real problems but neither to repeatedly just bash the same issues over and over again. 

It has been great to read the info on ............The more Victoria changes the more it stays the same...........

I have to get to work now so I will be able to pay for the increase in my taxes for next year..............

• Ismo07 likes this

#426 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,256 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:57 AM

Given the title of the forum I am surprised at the overall negative tone especially towards downtown. No need to sugar coat real problems but neither to repeatedly just bash the same issues over and over again. 

The issue is that it was not many years ago that we had little if any of the downtown problems we have now.  So it's pretty fresh in our memories how we could have it better.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2023 - 09:57 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 10:00 AM

I fail to see the value of paying continually increasing property taxes for a continually deteriorating downtown.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#428 TimM

TimM
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 10:43 AM

Perhaps the title of this forum should be retitled vibrantgreatervictoria.  Its assumed whether you live in North Saanich or Fernwood, you live in Victoria, BC.  After all its not the North Saanich International Airport is it?  Its not the University of Saanich Oak Bay is it?

Its strange because I see tons of empty storefronts downtown, but don't notice it anywhere else.  Not in Sidney or Brentwood Bay or Royal Oak.  I don't have to worry about stepping into feces or needles elsewhere, only in downtown.  Anyone who doesn't see the problems with downtown is blind or has their head stuck in the sand.  I am personally ashamed of what downtown has become.  I feel its important to be vocal of the problems downtown if you want it to improve and one way is on this forum.  I can't vote in the City of Victoria, so the only way I can is with my wallet and hence try to not spend any money in the City of Victoria.  Maybe when the business vacancy rate hits 30%, 40%, 50% people will start to go whoa!  We are certainly headed in that direction

#429 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,256 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 11:15 AM

I fail to see the value of paying continually increasing property taxes for a continually deteriorating downtown.

Draft City of Victoria budget includes proposed tax increase of 8.37 per cent

The early draft, will be tweaked before being adopted in April

The total operating budget next year is expected to increase by $12.33 million from 2023’s budget. The increase is being driven by inflation and contractual responsibilities, the city says.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2023 - 11:16 AM.

#430 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 11:21 AM

^ I thought that inflation was 3.1%!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#431 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 11:22 AM

Time for the CoV to trim the fat, especially if these property tax increases aren't being passed onto renters (thank you NDP :mad:). Property owners should not be expected to carry more than their share of rising costs forever.

#432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:06 PM

The City's road re-paving chart in the budget presentation shows it has failed in its goal of repaving 7.5km of roads annually in all but six years. The least productive years for road repaving were 2011-2019.

1978, 1984, 1985, 1989, 1991, 2022 and 2023 were the only years the City met or exceeded its 7.5km sustainable paving regiment.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#433 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:22 PM

The CoV needs to spend less on the absurd bike lane engineering and direct funds towards maintaining the existing roads.

#434 m3m

m3m
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 05:44 PM

I am also curious, how many other people on this forum are choosing to avoid downtown? It seems like a lot to me by the comments

85% of those comments are just Barrister
  • Ismo07 likes this

#435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 05:52 PM

Allegedly!
  • Matt R. and m3m like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#436 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,104 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:06 PM

Downtown Victoria is still very much a destination for me.

Restaurants and shopping mostly.

All this talk about parking. Downtown is so hurting, no one goes there anymore but there’s never any parking? I come over a couple of times most months and just head for a city parkade. Can’t recall the last time I wasn’t able to find a space. Pay with the app, go about my business.

If I find a street spot quickly then fine but I don’t waste my time circling the block.

Yes I recognize I have the privilege of mobility and can simply park and walk to take care of my business in town.

#437 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 10:07 PM

Draft City of Victoria budget includes proposed tax increase of 8.37 per cent

The early draft, will be tweaked before being adopted in April

The total operating budget next year is expected to increase by $12.33 million from 2023’s budget. The increase is being driven by inflation and contractual responsibilities, the city says.

How about having cyclists carry some of the burden for bike lanes a small tax on new bikes or pay valet bike parking.

#438 TimM

TimM
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 09:29 AM

I am of the belief that everyone should be paying the same property tax regardless if they live in a tiny apartment or a mansion.  People still use the same amount of services regardless of what their dwelling looks like.

#439 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 09:31 AM

Property taxes should probably be based on the number of people who live in a residence. The more people, the higher taxes they should pay.

#440 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 09:32 AM

I am of the belief that everyone should be paying the same property tax regardless if they live in a tiny apartment or a mansion.  People still use the same amount of services regardless of what their dwelling looks like.

Should that happen with income tax as well?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users