Municipal Property Taxes

• Please log in to reply
872 replies to this topic

#381 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 11:10 AM

Might be interesting what happened the 3 years before that as well...  They are still using $1.7M out of there anyway so again odd thing to talk about right? 

Maybe they will phase out this type of transfer (over 5 years) since they will be curtailing development and there won't be these funds soon.

• Nparker, LJ and Ismo07 like this

#382 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 05:30 AM

A proposed 12 per cent property tax increase for Langford residents isn’t sitting well with many.

The public will get the opportunity to give its thoughts on Langford’s draft budget on Thursday night at a committee of the whole meeting.

"It’s just several large ticket items that just came to us," said Langford Mayor Scott Goodmanson on Thursday afternoon.

Those items include funding for four new police officers, nine new firefighters, six new staff at Langford City Hall, general inflation and the doubling of Langford’s financial support for the YMCA/YWCA.

"Even with that jump, we’re still the fourth lowest taxes in the CRD, and we’re the third largest city," said Goodmanson.

Former Langford mayor Stew Young says an increase of this magnitude never would have happened under his and past council's watch.

"It’s ridiculous and not warranted," said Young.

Young says over the last 30 years, tax increases in Langford have averaged two per cent per year. Taxes were kept low through a community amenity fund, paid for by developers.

https://vancouverisl...-hike-1.6336777

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2023 - 05:30 AM.

#383 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 05:32 AM

screenshot-docs.google.com-2023.03.31-09_32_21.png

#384 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:30 AM

"Even with that jump, we’re still the fourth lowest taxes in the CRD, and we’re the third largest city," said Goodmanson.

Young says over the last 30 years, tax increases in Langford have averaged two per cent per year. Taxes were kept low through a community amenity fund, paid for by developers.

https://vancouverisl...-hike-1.6336777

Is this statement by the mayor actually accurate? If so that is very interesting. I've never thought about this whole tax increase issue in these terms.

The last line by Young got me thinking. Maybe taxes were kept low by the developers, but who pays the developers?

We were always told that out taxes were so low. However, we had a volunteer fire dept. I had to pay to drop my garbage off at the mayor's garbage company, and  also had to pay the same company to drop off my yard waste. Cost me $15,000 to hook up to the sewer. I could go on. 

Edited by Lorenzo, 31 March 2023 - 07:39 AM.

• GaryOak likes this

#385 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:36 AM

New homeowners pay the developers, for sure.  

The last line by Young got me thinking. Maybe taxes were kept low by the developers, but who pays the developers?

And most local government defend development cost charges by saying "growth must pay for growth" but it's also unclear if those development charges accurately line up with new costs, or if it's like a 20-years worth of property taxes grabbed upfront and the homeowner still has to pay annual taxes after that.

For example:

Vancouver charges some of the highest development fees among major cities: Study

A CMHC report found that the amount and number of fees can have a big influence on the cost and timeline to deliver new housing.

The agency’s latest report, to be published on its website Tuesday, found that total fees amounted to $140 per square foot on the city’s lowrise and highrise condo developments, mostly due to density-related community amenity fees, accounting for about 20 per cent of construction costs.

https://vancouversun...or-cities-study

https://storeys.com/...t-charges-fees/

Toronto City Council Votes in Favour of Raising Development Charges Nearly 50%

PUBLISHED:  11:09 AM JUL 20, 2022

Toronto City Council voted on Tuesday evening to hike development charges, adding more than $40,000 in fees to some development application processes.

Charges for residential buildings were hiked 46%, while the charge for non-residential buildings was bumped up 40%. Developers looking to build a detached or semi-detached home will face a $137,040 charge, up $43,062 from the current development charge of $93,978. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2023 - 07:40 AM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:51 AM

Langford gave developers sufficient density to fund the amenity fund, build amenities as part of the development itself or as contributions via the development itself to other projects (sidewalks, sewer lines, parkland, etc) and it was made possible through fast approvals and no overly punitive regime governing density asks.

That’s how it worked. Everyone came out on top. Langford gave developers the ingredients to be successful, and in exchange, people had access to lower cost housing, lower property taxes, faster development of amenities, and a slush fund that council could use to deliver capital projects quickly, or engage in partnerships with organizations to build social amenities, without having to burden the taxpayer or wait many years for sufficient DCCs to pay for something like a new road or a bridge.

It worked so, well. But it also required a level of ingenuity and acumen that made Langford an unconventional place in which to do business.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#387 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:00 AM

We were always told that out taxes were so low. However, we had a volunteer fire dept. I had to pay to drop my garbage off at the mayor's garbage company, and also had to pay the same company to drop off my yard waste. Cost me $15,000 to hook up to the sewer. I could go on.

You could have hired a garbage pick up, and for less than what Victoria forces residents to pay for their municipal service. Other communities do this, too. I have a private contractor collect garbage from my home weekly, and I pay less than Victoria charges for bi-weekly service. It’s Stew’s old company, in fact.

Sewer connections are user-pay, everyone everywhere has to pay to connect to the main line when a municipality runs sewer down your street. And being on sewer increases your home’s value by a healthy margin, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#388 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:03 AM

Langford is now considering paying off $80,000,000 in capital costs over 5 years to save on interest.

I have to say, that that is unconventional, too, but it’s going be a major financial drain.

Know it all.

#389 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:03 AM

screenshot-docs.google.com-2023.03.31-14_03_00.png

#390 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:02 AM

Victoria settles on 6.15 per cent tax rise for residents and businesses

Major industry in the city will face a 37 per cent increase in property taxes and light industrial properties face a 22 per cent rise.

https://www.timescol...inesses-6852811

City staff cautioned any change to the business tax rate would be reflected in increases on the residential side. Staff also noted a decision had to be made on the rates this week, meaning there was little time to work on an equitable solution this year.

Clown show.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 April 2023 - 09:03 AM.

#391 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:28 AM

...Staff also noted a decision had to be made on the rates this week, meaning there was little time to work on an equitable solution this year...

WTF? Are staff suggesting budgeting can only take place in a brief window before the new rates are approved? What have they been doing for the past year? Why are we being treated like idiots?

#392 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:33 AM

WTF? Are staff suggesting budgeting can only take place in a brief window before the new rates are approved? What have they been doing for the past year? Why are we being treated like idiots?

Mill rates, not budget...  Staff actually have most budgets done by May/June of the previous year.

Edited by Ismo07, 14 April 2023 - 09:34 AM.

#393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:54 AM

Major industry in the city will face a 37 per cent increase in property taxes and light industrial properties face a 22 per cent rise.

What is "major industry?"

Know it all.

#394 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 14 April 2023 - 12:19 PM

City staff cautioned any change to the business tax rate would be reflected in increases on the residential side. Staff also noted a decision had to be made on the rates this week, meaning there was little time to work on an equitable solution this year.

Clown show.

incompetence.

really bad.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#395 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 05:05 AM

What is "major industry?"

Point Hope singled out for large property tax hit

Point Hope Maritime is the only property in Victoria that will face a dramatic increase of 37 per cent in its tax bill.

https://www.timescol...tax-hit-6858383

According to City of Victoria staff, the city was unable to consider tweaking the tax rate options this year as they had simply run out of time.

“The options presented reflect current and previous council revenue and tax policy. Council can always provide new policy direction, or a review of the policy, but given that several bylaws need to be drafted and adopted before May 15, there is limited time for a full-scale review this year,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2023 - 05:08 AM.

#396 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 05:11 AM

My math says the 37% increase is near one million extra tax. From about 3 million to 4 million dollars.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2023 - 05:11 AM.

#397 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:58 AM

Thousands of new homes have entered the fray, hundreds of new retail units added, but taxes are rising as though nothing new is being added to lessen the burden.

Municipalities have lost control. This isn’t sustainable.

Know it all.

#398 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:03 AM

Especially in Victoria where a new condo building doesn’t add lots to the service levels or infrastructure needs, beyond what the development fees bring in.

#399 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:34 PM

The mayor said most of the tax bill increase was due to the assessed value but am I missing something in that the rate increased 37% AND the assessed value increased 26% which to my mind would mean the majority of the increase is from the millage increase….
  • Nparker likes this

#400 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 05:46 AM

Saanich homeowners face 7.19 per cent tax increase with 2023 budget

Council, on Tuesday night, unanimously approved the tax increase, though some councillors conceded it would not be well received by some citizens.

https://www.timescol...-budget-6874851

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 April 2023 - 05:47 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users