Municipal Property Taxes

• Please log in to reply
989 replies to this topic

#941 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:54 AM

I’m starting to get really bothered by the incredible mismanagement of public funds at the hands of our councils. The situation is becoming tragically dire and we simply do not see financial planning or prudence being practiced, just massive, historic raises of municipal taxation as services decrease and quality of life continues to erode.

Surely we’ve seen this sort of slide the past. What did we do then to right the nonsense?

The CoV is budgeting what, $315 million this year? Good lord.
  • phx, Matt R. and Love the rock like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#942 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 07:05 AM

Canada has never been as badly governed at all levels as it is today.
  • Wayne and Victoria Watcher like this

#943 JimV

JimV
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 01:42 PM

Surely we’ve seen this sort of slide the past. What did we do then to right the nonsense?

Tar, feathers, ride out of town on a fence rail.

#944 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 02:43 PM

It was that long ago, eh?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#945 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 07:20 AM

I’m starting to get really bothered by the incredible mismanagement of public funds at the hands of our councils. The situation is becoming tragically dire and we simply do not see financial planning or prudence being practiced, just massive, historic raises of municipal taxation as services decrease and quality of life continues to erode.

Staffing is a huge part of this.  City staff are up to 1,300 and growing...

A lot of it is staff and VicPD.  Police is 22% of budget, and is 30% of the tax increase.  You asked for more of that right?

#946 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 07:24 AM

Have you seen the state of downtown Victoria lately? Of course we need more police, and we need to pay them well.

Know it all.

#947 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 07:41 AM

Have you seen the state of downtown Victoria lately? Of course we need more police, and we need to pay them well.

Exactly, that increase property taxes...  Just need to sort out the return of those drugs everywhere laws...

#948 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 07:56 AM

Now that you do your home owner grant online, can they not combine this and automatically deal with the Speculation Tax form?

#949 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 07:57 AM

No, not quite exactly. The police department remains under-funded and short-staffed.

I had to call 911 last Friday night, in the CoV. It took about a minute to two of being on-hold with dispatch, they were so busy that they could not take 911 calls.

Know it all.

#950 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 08:06 AM

...The police department remains under-funded and short-staffed...

Our local police might be able to cope if Federal, Provincial and Municipal policies/legislation weren't actively working against them.

• Ismo07 and lanforod like this

#951 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 08:09 AM

No, not quite exactly. The police department remains under-funded and short-staffed.

I had to call 911 last Friday night, in the CoV. It took about a minute to two of being on-hold with dispatch, they were so busy that they could not take 911 calls.

Well so you want increased taxes...

About the 911 thing, that's been a problem since they combined them all I think..  When you call 911 it's not CoV answering, they amalgamated that...  Always wait now.

#952 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 08:28 AM

I think we can all agree, that we need police services more than we need the many new special positions the CoV has created over the last decade. There are positions now at the City, that did not exist even five years ago, and many of them.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#953 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 08:31 AM

I think we can all agree, that we need police services more than we need the many new special positions the CoV has created over the last decade. There are positions now at the City, that did not exist even five years ago, and many of them.

That is true.  They will keep increasing seemingly...  Look forward to your nomination for councilor, where do I sign  :thumbsup:

• lanforod and Daveyboy like this

#954 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 03:06 AM

Comment: Why Langford’s tax increase is a smart move for our future

Ordinary taxpayers have been subsidizing wealthier ones

Over the past few days, many residents across the Capital Regional District have received their property tax bills. This year, Langford council announced a 15.63 per cent budget increase, or about $327 extra a year for a representative homeowner.

Let’s break down this tax increase and look at how it is necessary to invest back into our community.

First, let’s address a common misconception. Some believe that Langford has historically had low residential property tax increases, supposedly around three per cent.

Provincial data show otherwise. Since 2009, Langford has had only four years with residential tax increases of less than four per cent.

For instance, property taxes on a typical — or “representative” — home in Langford increased by 8.4 per cent in 2021 and 12.3 per cent in 2022 before the current council was elected.

Those increases funded non-essential multimillion-dollar projects like moving hydro poles and purchasing far-flung oceanfront property without due diligence.

While 15.63 per cent makes catchy headlines, reading the full story shows that for the first time, Langford’s financial plan forecasts future tax hikes will decrease over the next five years.

We’ve taken on today’s challenges instead of continuing to push them onto future generations to solve. Thank you for investing in a brighter future for our children.

Now, this is where we need you to help shape the future of Langford. As we rapidly approach 60,000 people, it is clear that what had worked before won’t work now.

https://www.timescol...-future-8918364

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2024 - 03:07 AM.

#955 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 444 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 31 May 2024 - 05:35 AM

I'm trying to take a neutral position on all the BS flowing from both sides on the whole Langford issue. I actually kinda agree with this assessment of the tax situation. It provides a bit of clarity.

#956 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 06:23 AM

Who wrote it?

It’s hard to believe, just on the face of it, that such rapid rises in taxes are necessary, but for 30 years nobody complained.

I recall, not that long ago, that it was absolutely paramount for Langford to buy the YMCA. That is no longer being talked about. Also not long ago, it was the tree canopy that was considered devoid of trees, but it turned out after an assessment was done, that Langford has more urban tree cover than the City of Victoria, and far, far more if you include the entire municipality as a ratio compared to Victoria. So that’s also no longer an issue.

What is the citizenry going to see with these higher taxes?

Know it all.

#957 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 06:25 AM

A councillor wrote it. Their name is at the top of the article.

Why does Langford now need full-time firefighters? The author says it “provides good paying jobs” but that’s not a good use of tax dollars.

So where is our money going? More than five per cent of this increase funds public safety. This means hiring more bylaw officials, five more police officers and nine full-time firefighters, as we work toward fully staffing Station Hall 2 in Happy Valley with a full-time crew for the first time.

This not only creates well-paying jobs but also enhances public safety across Langford and the West Shore.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2024 - 06:26 AM.

#958 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 06:31 AM

Without clicking through just now, I knew it would be Yacucha. He lives in Happy Valley. Before him, the fire hall didn’t need full time firefighters. Now it does?

Know it all.

#959 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 444 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 31 May 2024 - 07:47 AM

I think we an all agree that Langford has outgrown a predominantly volunteer Fire Dept. The Happy Valley Road sh*tshow of development probably justifies a staffed hall. 

#960 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 07:54 AM

Do fire callouts dictate that?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)