BUILT
Era
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 726-746 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Condo units: (loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 15-storey Era condo and ground floor commercial tower is located in the 700-block of Yates Street. The pro... (view full profile)
Learn more about Era on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Era | Condos | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2015

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1299 replies to this topic

#641 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

And MIke, we certainly don't need an outside perspective to tell us the City of Victoria is insane in terms of its focus on ridiculous non-issues.

Of course we do, especially when that feedback is valid. We should value what our visitors opinions are of our city if we hope to remain a favoured tourist destination. And what those folks were saying was true, to an outsider looking in the Northern Junk fiasco was petty and amusing for people from elsewhere just like it's head-shakingly frustrating for locals who want to move on with things.

Although tech is the biggest industry, apparently, tech companies and their jobs can disappear as quickly as they appeared. Tourism, if managed right, will be around for generations.

Anyhow, I guess I should add that I've personally heard the snickers of many a tourist who rolled their eyes over the "olde England" nonsense. It's embarrassing for this region to be seen as such when clearly those who are traveled and come here with eyes wide open find that to be a ridiculous and tacky comparison.

I've dragged this out off topic now. We can continue this discussion in another thread if there is the appetite for it.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#642 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

A large load of windows is arriving on site this morning.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Sounds like you're planning a heist. Who's in?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#644 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

The Pandora facade on the Union looks terrific and I can't tell you how glad I am that it's there. It makes me wonder yet again about what could have been done with the Eaton's centre (and a bunch of other sites, too). I have a feeling that this one on Yates will be less of a success and it might even end up looking faux/tacked-on when it's finished. But I still have my fingers crossed.

Edited by aastra, 25 March 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#645 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

^ Yes the Union facade looks fantastic.

#646 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Everything about the Union's design/facade lends itself to accommodating a restored heritage facade and it works well in that instance.

Here we have a modern highrise with what looks like a tacked on facade. It's just weird is what it is, but as you say it might work out in the end. But again, at what cost is this gamble?

Know it all.

#647 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

But again, at what cost is this gamble?

Excellent question.

Era is going to be about 125,000 sq. ft. if memory serves. At a cost of $200-250 per sq. ft. you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $25-30M to construct this building.

So, if it cost $100k to save the facade, that's less than a rounding error in the project's budget to put things into perspective or about $0.80/sq. ft. added cost.

#648 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

With the heritage building being the entrance to the breezeway or Milly's Lane or whatever it will be called, that gives it a special place, quite apart from the main building. I'm hopeful this will be a successful blending, in the end.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Or put a more meaningful way, if the facade restoration cost $100,000, that's a $637 hit per condo that must be absorbed by buyers. If the restoration cost more, just raise that hit. And so on.

But it's not over yet. In the event the facade has issues in later years, perhaps even soon after occupancy, buyers will be on the hook for the maintenance.

Know it all.

#650 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Everything about the Union's design/facade lends itself to accommodating a restored heritage facade and it works well in that instance.

Here we have a modern highrise with what looks like a tacked on facade. It's just weird is what it is, but as you say it might work out in the end. But again, at what cost is this gamble?

Except the cardboard siding on the top layers :-(  None of that on the Era I think ;-)

#651 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Or put a more meaningful way, if the facade restoration cost $100,000, that's a $637 hit per condo that must be absorbed by buyers. If the restoration cost more, just raise that hit. And so on.

But it's not over yet. In the event the facade has issues in later years, perhaps even soon after occupancy, buyers will be on the hook for the maintenance.

Whatever, nobody is making anyone buy the condos.  I'm still curious why the facade was saved.  Was it to try to please the design people and council, to get the project through, or was it indeed to keep from having a setback, as a previous poster wondered aloud.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#652 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Whatever, nobody is making anyone buy the condos.  I'm still curious why the facade was saved.  Was it to try to please the design people and council, to get the project through, or was it indeed to keep from having a setback, as a previous poster wondered aloud.

I'd be curious to know the rationale as well.

Saving the facade seems a bit silly, but I'm willing to see how it looks as a finished product. If prospective owners balk at the facade costing their unit in the order-of-magnitude of three thousandths of a percent more than it otherwise might have than I guess that's on Concert for making that particular business decision.

#653 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

No need for conjecture, it's written right into the spot zoning....

http://www.victoria....Bylaws/6.64.pdf

#654 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Maybe it was retained so that the project would be considered to be a renovation of the existing structure and not subject to the rules a completely new building would be. Or not :P

Sounds like you're planning a heist. Who's in?

I was on that dating website again last night and found three women who are looking for "partners in crime." I'll send them a message now and let them know what the plan is ;)

#655 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

So what are we then, a city grappling with affordability or a city willing to spend hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars, per unit to retain some facade?

I guess my point is are we actually facing a crisis or is that crisis more of a political piece of leverage? Because everything I'm seeing suggests the latter to be true and the Era's facade is a perfect opportunity to bring the issue of "affordability" and "housing prices" to light.

Know it all.

#656 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

No need for conjecture, it's written right into the spot zoning....

http://www.victoria....Bylaws/6.64.pdf

It's not the condo buyer footing the bill. The developer got extra density and extra height and setback provisions therefore increasing their number of units for sale.... 

Edited by dasmo, 25 March 2014 - 10:36 AM.

• jonny likes this

#657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Who else but the condo foots the bill? The building has to pay for itself and turn a profit, facade retention and added units or not.

It just means that every unit, as part of their condo unit price, includes the $637 fee for retaining the facade provided the work cost $100,000. It's actually likely far more if you price out all of the work done to-date even before the actual building was demo'd and the added cost of working around a fragile element on a busy construction site.

Know it all.

#658 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

I for one do not want a free for all out there. So many bad developments have scarred our city.  What the Era is doing in particular is a rejuvenation of that little zone of downtown. It's like a laser treatment to the scar that the odeon created.... 

#659 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Would Era still do all of that without that little facade, though?

Know it all.

#660 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Who else but the condo foots the bill? The building has to pay for itself and turn a profit, facade retention and added units or not.

It just means that every unit, as part of their condo unit price, includes the $637 fee for retaining the facade provided the work cost $100,000. It's actually likely far more if you price out all of the work done to-date even before the actual building was demo'd and the added cost of working around a fragile element on a busy construction site.

You are not describing how goods are priced in a free market. Pricing is based upon supply and demand, not on the cost of production. A higher cost of production just means Concert is making a smaller gross margin on each unit.

In general this area should be zoned for higher density, which will do much more to increase the supply of housing than worrying about one facade.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users