The high-tech thread

• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#481 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:21 AM

It's hard to blame them for wanting that many 'white collar' jobs for youth. One of the challenges we've had in this region is employment for younger people. Call centres were viewed as a great job that wasn't in the service industry, in retail or seasonal.

Victoria still has few opportunities for young people outside of the main three sectors. And West was well liked as a job, I had friends working there, but they hated where it was situated. It was impractical for them to get there unless they had a car, and after a few months of working there they would realize their transportation costs, or time in transit or both, were outweighing any advantage of the job itself. So they'd quit and go back to retail/food services/seasonal jobs.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#482 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:23 PM

As you can plainly assume, I can do none of those things.

There is still hope for you at Home Depot or your local Phoenix golf pro shop.

#483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,183 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:15 PM

In a recent TED Talk, Raford pointed out that video games are already the world’s dominant form of ­entertainment — three times larger than the entire global film and music industries ­combined.

https://www.timescol...uturist-6343893

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 January 2023 - 02:15 PM.

#484 LJ

LJ
  • 12,756 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:26 PM

There is still hope for you at Home Depot or your local Phoenix golf pro shop.

What??? Work - not for me.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#485 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:15 AM

It's hard to blame them for wanting that many 'white collar' jobs for youth. One of the challenges we've had in this region is employment for younger people. Call centres were viewed as a great job that wasn't in the service industry, in retail or seasonal.

Victoria still has few opportunities for young people outside of the main three sectors. And West was well liked as a job, I had friends working there, but they hated where it was situated. It was impractical for them to get there unless they had a car, and after a few months of working there they would realize their transportation costs, or time in transit or both, were outweighing any advantage of the job itself. So they'd quit and go back to retail/food services/seasonal jobs.

That depends entirely who you speak to: YES to the fact the location was not loved - to say the least. West in fact leaned heavily on BC Transit to improve bus service to the area and it was said and I was told - anecdotally - that there was little love lost between the two orgs as West pressed the issue more or less continually.

As to the jobs themselves most certainly for the front line call agents, given the modest pay and stresses of that position I wouldn't say most of them loved or even particularly liked those jobs. Fact is the facility was perpetually understaffed, call volumes especially in the first few months - remember we were supporting AT&T's US customers, so you can imagine what those daily call numbers looked like - were very, very high.

In fact we stumbled right out of the gate with only about 125-150 reps on the phones on Day 1 (we were aiming for 300), with senior Omaha mangers milling about already nervous about the inability to recruit the full complement of agents expected, the phone switch was opened on the brand new state of the art Ayaya system - and almost 15,000 calls were immediately dumped into the queue as a result of a major switch failure.

Internally it was known as the "day the Cloud lost its mind". That was not a fun day for anyone, either the local IT team desperately trying to figure out the issue, or the poor reps on the phones wondering what particular gate of hell had just dawned upon them. Nor for us managers frankly, with the Omaha contingent breathing down our necks.

On a personal level I had zero issues with them and in fact liked many of them on that basis but they really were not a poster child org promoting a healthy work-life balance. I got the very strong sense from especially those higher in that hierarchy they very much considered who they were was very largely defined by their work and how hard they worked and what their job titles were. Almost without exception most were focused on climbing the corporate ladder regardless of impact on health, family. One guy in HO very proudly told me after a recent heart attack he was back in the saddle literally just days later. Not my cuppa, but whatever, you push through and move on with whatever cards you're dealt.

However US business practices are US business practices which often differ from or are at loggerheads with those endemic to this area.

For starters an admission from them that American customers weren't exactly thrilled with the notion of "foreign" customer support so our teams were absolutely forbidden from identifying themselves as Canadian or even hinting we were located in Canada. Instead they were "coached" i.e. compelled per standing policy, to say when asked "where are you?" to respond with "....just north of Seattle". Not technically a lie but also not 100% honest either. This bothered a lot of the reps especially younger ones with limited experience in a large office/corporate environment who couldn't understand why they could't be truthful and forthcoming and of course did not understand the reason underpinning the policy.  

The previously mentioned ten minute coffee breaks also were not remotely met with great enthusiasm.

Consider your cubicle sits in the very farthest corner of a 70,000 s/f floor plate. Its break time and you want to go for a smoke. You have to logout of the queue - the break clock starts immediately at that point. You have 600 seconds and not one second more before phones from the monitoring stations start ringing and that is no exaggeration.

Breaks from the queues were monitored not only by what was called the Podium in Victoria, literally an elevated part of the floor where the "traffic cops" of the call center monitored everything and everyone, but also from the master call center monitoring stations in Omaha HO, which monitored the status of all call agents in all of their global call centers throughout the business day, wherever that happened to be.

You then have to walk the length of that space, through a set of secure doors, down a hallway, turn left through another set of double doors, walk through the staff break room go outside to the official smoking pit. By the time you've done that - and consider the same on the return trip - that left about 3/3.5 minutes at most to light up and 'enjoy' that cigarette before heading back and jumping into the queue. Not exactly a break by the standards of most people. We tried many times to get West to budge on this issue and increase the breaks to 15 minutes. No way, no dice.

I must say here that the Omaha agent monitoring facility itself was impressive as hell. We toured it the week they put it into production. At that time, in 2001, it was the fourth largest 'large screen' master call control facility in the US (think of those old films of NASA Mission Control during the Apollo missions and you get the general idea). In size, scale, scope and technology it was exceeded only by NASA itself, AT&T and one other org that escapes me at this point. Doesn't matter - it was HUGE with incredible agent and global call monitoring capability and technology. The amusing thing when we were there and they were still testing it, across the 3 massive screens in the center, each about 10 meters across, they were running an old Simpson's episode which was a slightly bizarre sight in that very serious environment.....

Now from the standpoint of those staff not in a call taking role I agree many of them were relatively happy and at the very least found West personally and professionally interesting and challenging: those who gained experience as team leads and supervisors for example, or those in the Training department.

As one of two Operations managers during my time I had up to 300 staff reporting to me through the supervisors down to the team lead level. Each "pod" consisted of about 16-18 call reps who reported to the TL who in turn reported to the supervisors. Each supervisor as I recall had three pods reporting to them. And there were five sups reporting to me; ditto on the other side for the other ops manager.

The TL's and Sups certainly were exposed to a very large corporate environment, gained hands on experience with managing staff, handling customer escalations - there were lots of those! - call flow and management reporting etc.

In addition, and again we had to twist Omaha's arm but this time they actually agreed with allowing supervisors to sit in on the weekly management call with HO. That was no small feat either. It certainly opened a few eyes. Those calls were open, honest - brutally so in many cases - blunt and not remotely "PC" even if the subject was a sensitive one. Omaha said in no uncertain terms what it wanted, what it needed, what it expected, who was responsible and when, how, and where. It was very much management from the top-down, command and control school of management. Agreeing to have the supervisors attend these meetings was one of the very few times they agreed with a deviation in established procedure suggested by Victoria.

I know some of those sups especially benefited ultimately in their later careers because I've encountered at least two of them in management roles, both in the BCG environment; my old Ops manager 'twin' in fact worked for Maximus for several years - where I am now - after she left West. She is now a director also with the BCG, and even today in Maximus we have two senior supervisors in our own contact center who once reported to me at West. So safe to say all those folks 'liked' West. Not so sure you'd get that much buy in from the ex call reps though, heh.....

#486 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,183 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:21 AM

That depends entirely who you speak to: YES to the fact the location was not loved - to say the least. West in fact leaned heavily on BC Transit to improve bus service to the area and it was said and I was told - anecdotally - that there was little love lost between the two orgs as West pressed the issue more or less continually.

Yes, the sheer volume of people that needed to be on that somewhat infrequent #75 bus was a problem.  And of course many/most of the employees using transit had to transfer to/from that bus too.  From a bus transit point of view, you could not find a much worse location.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2023 - 08:23 AM.

#487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:25 AM

Which brings us back to just how savvy the people who instigated this economic opportunity really were. They might have scored an A+ employment opportunity, but situated it in an F location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#488 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,573 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:31 AM

Yep. Bus there was well over an hour. It was bizarre frankly. I wouldn’t call a min wage call centre an A+ employment opportunity. Not really any IP or brain trust being developed nor real money being injected into the community.

#489 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:09 PM

Looks like young women in tech leadership roles continue to demonstrate that they can allegedly be just as big a scammer as their male counterparts. 

https://jezebel.com/...raud-1849980215

A millennial founder who sold her company to JP Morgan for $175 million allegedly paid a college professor $18K to fabricate 4 million accounts. Their email exchange is a doozy

Edited by spanky123, 13 January 2023 - 12:24 PM.

#490 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,573 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:36 AM

If you doubt you re being inundated with propaganda watch this piece on SBF. The original was scrubbed from the channel but not so fast! https://youtu.be/SQm-CphJlgo

#491 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 08:18 AM

As I predicted in December, layoffs in tech have started to explode now that we are past the XMAS season. 

https://www.trueup.io/layoffs

Stay up-to-date on the latest layoffs across big tech, tech unicorns, and top startups. So far in 2023, there have been 171 layoffs at tech companies with 57,463 people impacted. In 2022, there were 1,525 layoffs at tech companies with 237,874 people impacted.

#492 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,183 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 03:24 AM

Google parent company Alphabet to cut 12,000 jobs

#493 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,082 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:02 AM

Still can’t find a cook in canada for close to $30 an hour. Maybe I can train a tech worker, but I doubt it.

Edited by Matt R., 20 January 2023 - 10:03 AM.

#494 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:28 AM

^ Wait for it! Will take a few months before the laid off workers realize that they are not getting rehired at what they were paid previously. 

#495 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,082 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:30 AM

Maybe if I installed a ping pong table.

Edited by Matt R., 20 January 2023 - 10:30 AM.

#496 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,183 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:33 AM

Maybe your next cook will be a robot. Combine cooking and tech.
16F46220-E0C5-4327-BE9D-1AB87AD23DCC.gif

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2023 - 10:34 AM.

#497 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,082 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:41 AM

We already replaced a barista with a high end semi auto espresso machine…
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#498 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,183 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:42 AM

Those baristas are in high demand.

Man arrested after attempt to kidnap barista through drive-thru window

https://globalnews.c...washington/amp/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2023 - 10:43 AM.

#499 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 02:20 PM

69F35223-9AC3-456B-90EE-94C300DAC97E.jpeg

Know it all.

#500 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 03:07 PM

^ 110K tech job losses in one month! https://www.trueup.io/layoffs

Those losses will soon trickle down as the bars, restaurants and travel industries feel the pull back in spending.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users