• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#521 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 05:24 PM

Of course it does.
I have an Etsy shop AND shares in Etsy. Thankfully the shop doesn’t have much in sales week to week. I expect the stock market in general to crater on Monday. I’m waiting it out.
  • Matt R. likes this

#522 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 05:25 PM

I’m not saying the overlords are trying to kill small businesses but if they were, what would they be doing differently?

#523 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 05:32 PM

In my case, they will be messing with the ferry schedule this summer, and lo and behold..

#524 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 07:19 PM

SVB managed to pay all their employees their bonuses the day before shutting the door.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#525 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 07:22 PM

When all the assets are sold, most folks could receive the majority of their funds, but it will take time.

There are just too many small banks in the US, they should consolidate into a much smaller number.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#526 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 10:01 PM

SVB managed to pay all their employees their bonuses the day before shutting the door.

The size of the payouts couldn’t be determined, but SVB bonuses range from about $12,000 for associates to $140,000 for managing directors, according to Glassdoor.com.

SVB was the highest-paying publicly traded bank in 2018, with employees getting an average of $250,683 for that year, according to Bloomberg.

After its seizure, the FDIC offered SVB employees 45 days of employment, the people said. The bank had 8,528 employees as of December.

https://www.cnbc.com...e-takeover.html

#527 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

So how many banks do we have locally, where you can deposit money (not necessarily have a chequing account).

RBC
Scotia
TD
BMO
CIBC
HSBC
Coast Capital
Island Savings
VanCity
Fisgard Capital(?)
Community Savings
Coastal Community Credit Union

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#528 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:23 AM

HSBC.

Laurentian.

Canadian Western.

Khalsa Credit Union.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2023 - 08:25 AM.

#529 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:25 AM

RBC
Scotia
TD
BMO
CIBC
HSBC
Coast Capital
Island Savings
VanCity
Fisgard Capital(?)
Community Savings
Laurentian
Canada Western
Khalsa Credit Union
First Credit Union (up-Island)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#530 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:46 AM

SVB's Chief Administrative Officer was the CFO of Lehman Brothers' Investment Bank when it collapsed.

SVB's Chief Risk Officer was the Managing Director at Deutsche Bank during 2008 AND led credit ratings in 2007.

The CEO was a director at the San Francisco Fed from 2019 to the present.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#531 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

National Bank.

#532 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:57 AM

While I get the point you are making here Mike, i.e ascertaining and collating a list of financial institutions where you can deposit funds, as I'm sure you are well aware a credit union is definitely not a bank.

There are various operating and service/product offering differences between the two but for the purposes of this thread, in Canada while both credit unions and banks are protected by deposit insurance, banks are covered by the CDIC as mentioned a couple of times above, credit unions are covered by provincial deposit insurance providers.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#533 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:02 AM

So how many might be at risk?

#534 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:10 AM

All banks are at risk technically. We have zero reserve lending here so the banks only have a pittance of cash on hand. If there is a physical run on the banks people will know this in a real way. You can feel it now if you go into your bank at any time and try to withdraw $10k cash.

Good thing most are lazy and don’t care enough to panic. Myself included. This too shall pass.

Also don’t keep large amounts of cash. At least not all in one place.

#535 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:20 AM

All banks are at risk technically. We have zero reserve lending here so the banks only have a pittance of cash on hand. If there is a physical run on the banks people will know this in a real way. You can feel it now if you go into your bank at any time and try to withdraw $10k cash.

Good thing most are lazy and don’t care enough to panic. Myself included. This too shall pass.

Also don’t keep large amounts of cash. At least not all in one place.

All generally spot on - especially the lazy part particularly at that pertains to me.... :)

It is important to know however that not everything is protected by CDIC. Some deposits such as mutual funds, stocks and bonds fall outside of CDIC’s purview.

If you bank with a CDIC member institution, your eligible deposits include savings accounts, term deposits and GICs, all of which are automatically covered up to $100,000.

• dasmo likes this

#536 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:25 AM

If you own stocks the bank going under doesn’t dissolve that ownership though. I guess it’s worth looking into some sort of backup of ownership if the brokerage disappears somehow?

#537 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:30 AM

If you have $100,000 in a bank account you actually have digits on your screen and the bank has your name beside the same digits on a ledger. That’s the bare bone’s reality. It’s not sitting in a safe in the basement…

#538 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:38 AM

SVB's Chief Administrative Officer was the CFO of Lehman Brothers' Investment Bank when it collapsed.

SVB's Chief Risk Officer was the Managing Director at Deutsche Bank during 2008 AND led credit ratings in 2007.

The CEO was a director at the San Francisco Fed from 2019 to the present.

So are you saying we should trust these experts?

• dasmo likes this

#539 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:45 AM

So are you saying we should trust these experts?

Yes. Always trust the experts. History has shown this is best for your personal wellbeing….
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#540 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 10:04 AM

RBC
Scotia
TD
BMO
CIBC
HSBC
Coast Capital
Island Savings
VanCity
Fisgard Capital(?)
Community Savings
Laurentian
Canada Western
Khalsa Credit Union
First Credit Union (up-Island)
National Bank

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)