The high-tech thread

• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#601 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 12:39 PM

What do they even do? That’s a huge company for a “business consultant firm”.

#602 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:17 PM

What do they even do? That’s a huge company for a “business consultant firm”.

They are a global professional/management services giant, originally founded as the Arthur Anderson accountancy group in the 1950's. The question is what don't they do - which isn't much. They offer a broad array of services including risk management, supply chain management, operations solutions, information technology security, cloud services, and data centers - to name but some of them. That's just Canada. In other markets they provide services above and beyond these mentioned here. They're been a 'player' far longer - 60+ some odd years - than most IT global consulting or cloud providers have existed.

#603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:03 PM

I wonder if it’s one of those companies that if they shed 90% of their work force, they’d still accomplish everything they accomplish now. But their budget would be a heck of a lot smaller.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#604 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:40 PM

I wonder if it’s one of those companies that if they shed 90% of their work force, they’d still accomplish everything they accomplish now. But their budget would be a heck of a lot smaller.

They charge people out by the hour. Not enough hours and you get cut. Simple business model.

• Barrrister likes this

#605 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:42 PM

Most of the people who are losing their jobs in tech are finding other work for the time being although it is quite frequently at a lower wage then they had been making previously. Unemployment rate stays low but economic climate darkens.

#606 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:48 PM

The tech carnage continues - Accenture is in process of dumping 19,000 staff, roughly 2.5% of its global workforce although it still leaves nearly 720k people on the payroll:

https://www.cnn.com/...9000/index.html

Meh. They are still way up over the year.

Used to work there. Back when they had less than 200k on the payroll.

Edited by lanforod, 23 March 2023 - 02:48 PM.

#607 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:55 PM

n alleged kidnapping, duped investors and losses topping $40 million — those are some of the newest details emerging as authorities try to unravel what Canada's self-proclaimed Crypto King did with the money investors gave him.

According to claims spelled out in a new trustee report from bankruptcy proceedings against Aiden Pleterski, while authorities were trying to track down millions of dollars given to him to invest, the 24-year-old was allegedly kidnapped in the middle of the night last December. The trustee believed much of it went to fuel a lavish lifestyle and that very little of it was actually invested.

Pleterski's father told the trustee Pleterski was driven around Southern Ontario, beaten and tortured. Pleterski's landlord said he got a call asking for ransom of $3 million.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...apped-1.6790615

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2023 - 03:55 PM.

#608 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:12 PM

^ Not to mention that the target market, techies and bankers, are all getting smoked.

#609 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:14 PM

How is that guy not charged criminally?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2023 - 06:14 PM.

#610 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 04:07 AM

Shopify Inc. says it will reduce its head count by about 20 per cent and sell its logistics business to Flexport, a supply chain management company.

#611 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:27 AM

Microchip maker Nvidia Corp. was poised to join an exclusive list of companies worth more than $1 trillion on Thursday as the company said that feverish demand for AI technology was causing booming demand for its products.

The chip designer's shares — which have already doubled in value this year — jumped by another 28 per cent on Wall Street in premarket trading on Thursday after the company said it is seeing unprecedented demand in just about every facet of its business.

The company's shares were worth $305 apiece on Wednesday, enough to value the company at more than $750 million US. At one point on Thursday morning they topped $400, enough to value the company at more than $1 trillion US.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...nings-1.6854143

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2023 - 06:27 AM.

#612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:31 AM

The CEO of that company is something else. Smooth as silk. Good for them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#613 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:51 AM

Oops. I was going to buy some stock weeks ago.

#614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:13 AM

Sounds like a lot of upside yet. Probably a safe 5% bet here.

Know it all.

#615 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:23 AM

5% is crap pot odds. I still have stock linked to this market.

I got distracted by the AI tools themselves. Things are going to get weird folks. A magic wand has been given to the masses. I have just completed a project that would have taken me five years to do IF I was full dialled in to the skills required. I completed it in two months. The path from thought to reality is now A LOT shorter. The creative world is about to lose it. You thought the battle over streaming music was brutal? This is going to be nuts. There will be those who will try to stuff the genie back in the bottle and the government will try to regulate it on behalf of the creative elite. I say take it while you can so they can’t. Like a magic wand, it is morally inert. It’s the user that will make it good or evil. Put it in the hands of many, not the few who are responsible for most of the evil in this world.
Buckle up folks.

#616 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:28 AM

Yes. I think very soon some of the biggest hit songs will be written by computers. And they will be great songs!

#617 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:31 AM

^ What type of project were you working on Dasmo?

I think if your job involves content creation or regurgitation of any type then it is time to start thinking of another career. Although we may still need people for now to help massage what AI generates, no way you can still charge for 5 years when the work now takes 2 months.

Edited by spanky123, 25 May 2023 - 07:32 AM.

#618 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:32 AM

Thing is, while it robs me of my super power of being able to draw, and gives it to anyone, it also robs the creative elite of their power to make a movie and gives it to anyone.
You still need to think though. Even that is a lot less.

#619 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:35 AM

^ What type of project were you working on Dasmo?

I think if your job involves content creation or regurgitation of any type then it is time to start thinking of another career. Although we may still need people for now to help massage what AI generates, no way you can still charge for 5 years when the work now takes 2 months.

Not really, you need to be looking at incorporating these tools. It’s like what the computer did for say architecture. It didn’t kill the architect but we no longer see rows and rows of draftsmen.

#620 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:35 AM

You will probably hear about my project soon enough 😀

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users