The high-tech thread

• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#661 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:55 AM

Ask them if they use a computer with spell check? The tidal wave is heading straight for them. They either drown or write in 1/1000 the time it took them before.

I tried to compare it to how illustrator will fill a gradient for the graphic artist in 1/100th the time it would take to do it manually. They don’t like the comparison.

I still said it could be their ideas, their character creations. But that AI then could suggest 1000 enhancements. They didn’t like this either.

#662 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:57 AM

Weren’t 3D printers supposed to revolutionize the world, like ten years ago? I remember nerds setting up print shops so the public could rent time on a machine, because it was the next big/greatest thing.

It still suffers badly from material limitations. For example, injection molded plastics will always be more durable. As will metals.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2023 - 09:58 AM.

#663 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:24 AM

Thing is… if they ban it, it’s banned only for us. They will sell banning it with fear. It’s not intelligent, it will never be sentient, it’s not self motivated or aware. That’s marketing. It’s more like a magic wand than something intelligent. It’s extremely dangerous and at the same time extremely potent as a tool for good.

Perhaps not in the commercial realm, at least not yet. But the military applications of AI are practically limitless and I'm not referring to what may emerge in 10, 20 or more years hence, but now...

These applications, currently existing, include lethal autonomous weapons and AWS currently exploiting AI technology, under development and/or already deployed; autonomous stationary sentry guns and remote weapon stations programmed to fire at humans and vehicles, killer robots (in some military circles actually called “slaughter bots”), and drones and drone swarms with autonomous targeting acquisition ability are all also either deployed or in serious testing mode.

Beyond social media, AI technology can provide false reviews or opinions on a vast array of people, politicians, governments, products and services causing angst and sowing confusion on a mass scale, resulting in widespread social distrust and anger amongst general populations. More significantly, per the FBI cyber-criminals are known to have already experimented with ChatGPT in their attempts to gain access to unauthorized computers and to destroy computer systems and promote and employ highly sophisticated phishing and hacking scams.

Even today's AI systems have the ability to predict enemy tactical (battlefield) behavior, anticipate vulnerabilities, consider weather and environmental conditions and other related variables, assess mission strategies, and suggest alleviation or mitigation plans.

Artificial intelligence is currently playing a significant role in military warfare planning and R&D. Because of that, a multitude of AI applications are being developed by the US and other countries for various military uses. The United States Defence Department released its first AI strategy paper back in 2019. As a result, this has led to the development of AI systems and technologies specifically intended and designed expressly for use in defence, research, and above all branches of the military.

Compared to conventional information processing systems for example, AI-powered military systems can better manage the enormous volume of (battle) data efficiently. Because AI is so good at making decisions, it dramatically enhances the self-regulation, self-control, and self-actuation of a broad range of battlefield combat weapons and their supporting sub-systems.

Obviously any battlefield is an extremely hazardous environment. According to the U.S. army, AI can and will mitigate many of those threats. Aided threat recognition from what the Americans call "Mobile Corporative and Autonomous Sensors" is the name of the procedure currently used by the American Army. With this technology, soldiers today can identify threats more quickly and receive guidance on how to deal with them more efficiently and rapidly. US military aircraft and ground vehicles now have intelligent sensors which currently is one of the most important examples of how is artificial intelligence used in the military.

The possibilities are endless and this is just the beginning since you know the US is hardly the only player in this arena. All the major global powers are hard at work on AI; add in powerful national and international criminal organizations and the potential for destructive and extremely harmful AI applications is pretty obvious.

#664 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:45 AM

I’m not understanding what dasmo did to save 58 months of work, in a 60 month job.

Right now, all I know about chatGPI, is it grabs information and treats it as sincere/true. Get chatGPI to create a biography on yourself, and it’ll make stuff up by bridging what it thinks are facts, into falsehoods.

I did this for myself, interesting results. Came back with a cv that was actually believable and highly specific, but wrong.

#665 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:59 AM

Like any magic wand, it’s the user that will make evil or good.
3D printing has revolutionized what I do. In the past I would pay a service to print a design. $1000 and a week later I could test it. Now I print it myself for negligible cost besides the equipment and can cycle design iterations many more times. For the average nerd it’s useless. Same with AI. Not everyone is a magic user.

#666 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 11:03 AM

3D printed parts can be very strong. I used 3D printed steel parts for my custom e-bike I built. Additive manufacturing for metal replaces investment casting.

#667 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 11:11 AM

Perhaps not in the commercial realm, at least not yet. But the military applications of AI are practically limitless and I'm not referring to what may emerge in 10, 20 or more years hence, but now...

These applications, currently existing, include lethal autonomous weapons and AWS currently exploiting AI technology, under development and/or already deployed; autonomous stationary sentry guns and remote weapon stations programmed to fire at humans and vehicles, killer robots (in some military circles actually called “slaughter bots”), and drones and drone swarms with autonomous targeting acquisition ability are all also either deployed or in serious testing mode.

Beyond social media, AI technology can provide false reviews or opinions on a vast array of people, politicians, governments, products and services causing angst and sowing confusion on a mass scale, resulting in widespread social distrust and anger amongst general populations. More significantly, per the FBI cyber-criminals are known to have already experimented with ChatGPT in their attempts to gain access to unauthorized computers and to destroy computer systems and promote and employ highly sophisticated phishing and hacking scams.

Even today's AI systems have the ability to predict enemy tactical (battlefield) behavior, anticipate vulnerabilities, consider weather and environmental conditions and other related variables, assess mission strategies, and suggest alleviation or mitigation plans.

Artificial intelligence is currently playing a significant role in military warfare planning and R&D. Because of that, a multitude of AI applications are being developed by the US and other countries for various military uses. The United States Defence Department released its first AI strategy paper back in 2019. As a result, this has led to the development of AI systems and technologies specifically intended and designed expressly for use in defence, research, and above all branches of the military.

Compared to conventional information processing systems for example, AI-powered military systems can better manage the enormous volume of (battle) data efficiently. Because AI is so good at making decisions, it dramatically enhances the self-regulation, self-control, and self-actuation of a broad range of battlefield combat weapons and their supporting sub-systems.

Obviously any battlefield is an extremely hazardous environment. According to the U.S. army, AI can and will mitigate many of those threats. Aided threat recognition from what the Americans call "Mobile Corporative and Autonomous Sensors" is the name of the procedure currently used by the American Army. With this technology, soldiers today can identify threats more quickly and receive guidance on how to deal with them more efficiently and rapidly. US military aircraft and ground vehicles now have intelligent sensors which currently is one of the most important examples of how is artificial intelligence used in the military.

The possibilities are endless and this is just the beginning since you know the US is hardly the only player in this arena. All the major global powers are hard at work on AI; add in powerful national and international criminal organizations and the potential for destructive and extremely harmful AI applications is pretty obvious.

This is why it needs to remain open. Otherwise only the baddies get to have the power. The only way to stop an AI attack would be with the aid of AI. You want the only people using it to be that evil nerd developing the assassin drone the size of a dragon fly? I would rather the scales were tipped by what artists can bring to the table.

#668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 11:26 AM

I did this for myself, interesting results. Came back with a cv that was actually believable and highly specific, but wrong.

Yup. Now imagine what else it's getting wrong.

An astute employer will immediately recognize something is amiss, or their client will respond with 'what the hell is this?'

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#669 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 11:28 AM

Like any magic wand, it’s the user that will make evil or good.
3D printing has revolutionized what I do. In the past I would pay a service to print a design. $1000 and a week later I could test it. Now I print it myself for negligible cost besides the equipment and can cycle design iterations many more times. For the average nerd it’s useless. Same with AI. Not everyone is a magic user.

Exactly my point.

It has helped you, but it has no impact on 99.999% of the general population, who don't need to print designs, or create their own screw. They would rather go to Home Depot and buy it for 50 cents.

These technologies come out full out pot banging and fireworks, then once the craziness dies down, they find their little niche, and the world moves on.

PS, magi -c, or magi -k?  :rtfm:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#670 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 11:58 AM

That was marketing. Nothing to do with how revolutionary additive manufacturing is. Manufacturers wanted to sell 3D printers to the mass market. Bonus for me. I didn’t spend $70,000 on one. I waited five years and bought one for $2k. You can buy a consumer one for $100. AI tools as it relates to the creative industry is 1000x the impact as 3D printing. It’s actually not even comparable.
I turn thoughts into reality. It’s my profession. These tools shorten the process by so much it’s nuts. Speaking of 3D for instance. No more hours and hours of CAD PUMPING, setting up rendering scenes, tweaking adjusting etc. much simpler inputs can be made with tremendous results. Already now. It’s not that long until the tools integrate and what would take months will take weeks.
Interior design renderings can be near instant. Already now. With a more specific interface it will be. Take a picture of a room, tell it the style, the furniture items and then start rolling the dice. See something you like? Fix it and shuffle the rest. Shuffle positions of things etc. All with verbal commands and near instantaneous results.
That is a profound impact just on that one profession. You could sit with a client real time and in a 2 hour consultation do the work of a small team would do in weeks.

This is nowish. Not the future.

#671 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:00 PM

Yup. Now imagine what else it's getting wrong.

An astute employer will immediately recognize something is amiss, or their client will respond with 'what the hell is this?'

It listed real restaurants in Victoria on my CV, right down to dates and positions worked. If I showed that to an employer they wouldn’t think twice, until it was reference check time.

#672 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:06 PM

It listed real restaurants in Victoria on my CV, right down to dates and positions worked. If I showed that to an employer they wouldn’t think twice, until it was reference check time.

The magic user employer would ask its droid to verify and you would get caught.
  • Matt R. likes this

#673 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:09 PM

Use that as a base and then tweak it. Resume building in a fraction of the time is it’s power. Not telling the truth. Although you can always ask it if it’s accurate. Usually it will point out where it isn’t. Maybe this will teach people that they shouldn’t believe everything they read and if it matters look into it….

#674 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:11 PM

Its directive is to appear intelligent. It isn’t. It’s an insanely powerful data wrangler. Intelligence is something else.

#675 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:40 PM

Or how about developing a new logo? a graphic designer can produce a 100 options in an hour and sift that down into the best ten for a presentation. 

J7ueJ5h.png

NrrsJ27.png

4DWRs82.png

Edited by dasmo, 25 May 2023 - 12:41 PM.

#676 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:43 PM

Looks like the CHEK logo.
  • Matt R. likes this

#677 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:47 PM

Haha
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#678 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:41 PM

Don’t give CHEK any more ideas!

Know it all.

#679 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:28 PM

Did you give it the facts it would need to be correct? Did you tell it to stick to the facts?

#680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:04 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.05.26-02_02_37.png

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users