BUILT
Turnberry
Use: subdivision
Address: Champions Court at Bear Mountain Parkway
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Turnberry is a two phase, 51 home subdivision at the Bear Mountain development in the municipality of Langford... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turnberry on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford + Highlands] Bear Mountain | 4,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
2177 replies to this topic

#2141 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 07:58 PM

No.It goes beyond that,

They are inconveniencing their paying golf course customers who pay to use the golf course, Taking a hole out of play in any way for the sake of non paying people who want to cross their lands.

They are not taking a hole out of play, everything is as it was before the implementation of the fee. People have been using the access for years, to my knowledge nobody has ever been injured doing so. If the city expropriated the roadway, all that would happen would be the golf course would put up a warning sign. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2142 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 09 June 2023 - 08:27 PM

They are not taking a hole out of play, everything is as it was before the implementation of the fee. People have been using the access for years, to my knowledge nobody has ever been injured doing so. If the city expropriated the roadway, all that would happen would be the golf course would put up a warning sign. 

Well "expropriating"  private property for the convenience of a very few is certainly a slippery slope. That is something that attacks our principles of "private property ownership" at its core.

• Barrrister likes this

#2143 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 09:40 PM

Yes, it’s unlikely to happen that way, hostile. Langford councillors are stupid enough to do something stupid though.

#2144 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 10:32 PM

I trust you are all on the Langford Voters FB group? Very entertaining.

ETA: I didn’t know Langford’s sewer system is privately owned.

Edited by Matt R., 09 June 2023 - 10:34 PM.

#2145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 05:52 AM

That’s very commonly the case. Sooke’s may be as well? I’ll have to check on that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2146 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 05:56 AM

That’s very commonly the case. Sooke’s may be as well? I’ll have to check on that.

Ya, Sooke is run under contract.  Not sure it is the entire "system", but just the plant.

• Mike K. likes this

#2147 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 07:52 PM

Well "expropriating"  private property for the convenience of a very few is certainly a slippery slope. That is something that attacks our principles of "private property ownership" at its core.

I totally agree, I'm just saying it would have no material effect on the golf course.

#2148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 09:46 AM

Council was supposed to render some decision regarding trail access at last night’s council meeting. Did anyone glean what happened?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2149 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 05:08 AM

Langford staff will be exploring options to restore public access to a trail at Bear Mountain Resort that connects to Mount Finlayson after a unanimous council vote.

Councillors Keith Yacucha and Kimberley Guiry brought forward a motion Monday night to secure public access after Ecoasis, which owns the private lands at Bear Mountain, increased enforcement of a $45 daily fee and waiver requirement for non-residents to use its trails.

The stepped-up enforcement irked non-residents who want to use a portion of trail that connects to Goldstream Provincial Park and cuts the hike to the peak of Mount Finlayson in half.

Yacucha said he has also heard from many residents at Bear Mountain who are upset that the move makes them appear elitist. “I’m hoping we don’t have to go down extreme routes, but from what we’ve heard from residents of Langford is they’re expecting access to the outdoors at their doorstep, and we’re looking to make that happen,” said Yacucha.

https://www.timescol...-trails-7174078

#2150 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 07:17 AM

While I might not like Ecoasis stance in this matter, infringing on private property rights by any government is a far more egregious action. It troubles me that no one on Langford council understands this.
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#2151 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:26 PM

It troubles me that no one on Langford council understands this.

Or maybe they understand it very well?

So for those of us who are unfamiliar with this property, is there really no suitable place where they could implement an alternative connection that wouldn't run straight through the firing line? If we're talking about a hiking trail then even a fairly lengthy detour shouldn't be a big deal, right?

#2152 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:28 PM

Councillors voted to direct staff to consider all legal options, including expropriation, to secure public access to private lands known as 1270 Bear Mountain Parkway by way of a statutory right of way over portions of the strata road known as Academy Way and the Bear Mountain Golf Course.

Staff will prepare a report on how to move forward with attempts to secure access.

So for those of us who are unfamiliar with the history of this issue, if access is so crucially important to the community then how did securing access get missed when these developments were being approved?

#2153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:29 PM

Before BM was built, nobody was hiking Finlayson via Skirt Mountain apart from the odd die-hard who liked to bushwhack.

Once upon a time you could drive up Mt. Finlayson.

Know it all.

#2154 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:31 PM

So you're saying this crucially important access point didn't exist until the property was developed and it suddenly became convenient to cut straight through the newly developed grounds?

#2155 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:32 PM

Do convenient new parking places also factor into this?

#2156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:46 PM

Exactly.

Langford council is fighting to restore something, that if they had their way 15 years ago, would not exist today.

Know it all.

#2157 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:50 PM

Has anyone on council considered just phoning up the property owners and asking them if anything can happen?

Or do they have to instruct staff to do it?

#2158 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 07:44 PM

Or maybe they understand it very well?

So for those of us who are unfamiliar with this property, is there really no suitable place where they could implement an alternative connection that wouldn't run straight through the firing line? If we're talking about a hiking trail then even a fairly lengthy detour shouldn't be a big deal, right?

They are not actually running right through the firing line, they are about 20 feet below it. All the maintenance workers drive down that roadway to get to the maintenance yard at the other end of the property. Nobody has ever been hit there by a golf ball to my knowledge. I say again, this is not an insurance issue, it's a pissing contest.

#2159 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:24 AM

$995,000

Rare Bear Mountain Gem: 11,840 sqft Lot with Architect's Vision! Discover an extraordinary opportunity in the prestigious Bear Mountain Resort Community. Boasting a generous 11,840 sqft, this unique lot offers unparalleled City and Ocean Views. What sets it apart? The seller, an architect, has crafted conceptual renderings, infusing the property with creative potential. Secluded yet close to golf resort amenities, it's a one-of-a-kind chance to own a piece of the architect's dream. Don't miss out—seize the opportunity to turn this vision into reality. Contact listing agent for more information and make Bear Mountain your canvas for inspired living! 

https://www.realtor....d-bear-mountain

955491_7.jpg

#2160 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:53 AM

too bad the street side rendering is so ugly!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users