CBC | Radio, television

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:32 AM

In other words, if you don't support the narrative, please do not comment.

Part of the appeal of anonymity is that it protects people who have a lot at stake from being fired, publicly ridiculed or harassed for their opinion. All the CBC has to do is install moderation safeguards to allow for troublesome commentors to be banned. It's ancient technology ...and it works.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#322 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:44 AM

We all like to put our detective hat on and occasionally our dunce hat.

With a bit of Jack Knox thrown in, I hope we never loose that freedom on the forum. 

#323 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

We have 6 volunteer moderators here that keep this forum civil.  Too bad the TC did not consider a call for moderators for their comments section, it could have easily been done.

• Bingo and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#324 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

We have 6 volunteer moderators here that keep this forum civil.  Too bad the TC did not consider a call for moderators for their comments section, it could have easily been done.

Are there other news websites that use that model? It does work pretty well here. Although if you watch Reddit, the model is not problem-free.

#325 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

Are there other news websites that use that model? It does work pretty well here. Although if you watch Reddit, the model is not problem-free.

Yes, reddit has 20,000 moderators.  

You know, the CBC is one organization that can afford paid moderators.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#326 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

The CBC method just annoyed me.  I'd prefer a Facebook link.  Yes you can still abuse it but generally it will be more real people on average.  Not that using real names means your comments will be well thought out.  Just look at the stuff you see on CFAX posts.

#327 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:32 AM

The CBC method just annoyed me.  I'd prefer a Facebook link.  Yes you can still abuse it but generally it will be more real people on average.  Not that using real names means your comments will be well thought out.  Just look at the stuff you see on CFAX posts.

But sometimes anonymity is good.  CFAX often goes out of their way to say you do not need to use your real name when calling in.

Look, how many people do you know that will not dare speak out on Facebook about, say, the homeless issue?  Many.  When CFAX runs an anonymous poll, you see that homeless tenters have only the support of 10 or 15% of the (CFAX) population.  But you do not see that level reflected in many comments online.

#328 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

But sometimes anonymity is good.  CFAX often goes out of their way to say you do not need to use your real name when calling in.

Look, how many people do you know that will not dare speak out on Facebook about, say, the homeless issue?  Many.  When CFAX runs an anonymous poll, you see that homeless tenters have only the support of 10 or 15% of the (CFAX) population.  But you do not see that level reflected in many comments online.

What does that poll even mean?  What type of support?

I think it's a total gong show down there, and there needs to be some enforcement.  But, I'm still for housing measures and even allowing camping in parks.  Just not tent cities.

I'm glad CFAX covers local issues, but you must notice they direct the conversations.  On bike lanes, it's just brutal.  They keep dragging John Luton out to "speak for the cyclists" when he represents absolutely no-one and has completely out of touch ideas on what cyclists need.  

• http likes this

#329 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

I'm glad CFAX covers local issues, but you must notice they direct the conversations.  On bike lanes, it's just brutal.  

They keep dragging John Luton out to "speak for the cyclists" when he represents absolutely no-one and has completely out of touch ideas on what cyclists need.  

You seem to have all the information, so get on down to CFAX and tell them what the cyclists need.

#330 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

Luton is head of some type of bike / walk organization.

#331 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Luton is head of some type of bike / walk organization.

The hose feeding the drinking straw group, as I recall.

#332 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

You seem to have all the information, so get on down to CFAX and tell them what the cyclists need.

Just like John I only speak for myself. That's sort of my point.

#333 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Possibly the TC was just tired of the negative comments about the Times Colonist.

#334 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

We vote anonymously, and for very good reasons.

You generally can't discriminate against somebody if they're anonymous.

Why do you think most half decent superheroes wear masks.

Edited by todd, 18 March 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

I guess the Ghomeshi verdict comes out this Thursday.

#336 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:37 AM

Ghomeshi verdict being read right now:

http://live.cbc.ca/E...?ShowComments=0

The judge has moved on to the emails the complainant sent to Ghomeshi, both of which he said it seems impossible to believe that she forgot about.

"The negative impact of this after-the-fact-conduct is surpassed by the fact that she never disclosed any of this to the police or the crown. It was only after she confront by the emails and subsequent images" in cross-examination "that she remembered the emails were part of a plan," the judge said.

Edited by Rob Randall, 24 March 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#337 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Ghomeshi not guilty on all charges.

#338 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

I was expecting that.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#339 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

Jian Ghomeshi won’t face second assault trial, case to be resolved by peace bond: sources

jian-ghomeshi1.jpg?w=300

Peace bonds are often used to deal with allegations of misconduct that either don’t rise to the level of criminal behaviour, or barely meet the threshold

#340 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:26 PM

So now that Mansbridge is laving, maybe Jian Ghomeshi will come back to take his place?

Seriously though, I'd be good with Ian Hanomansing.  If Don Cherry passes on the offer.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users