Photo

CBC | Radio, television

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#21 Newlywednotnearlydead

Newlywednotnearlydead
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

As long as As It Happens and Ideas are safe, I'm good.

#22 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

As long as As It Happens and Ideas are safe, I'm good.

Those are flagship programs - syndicated on NPR and European radio. They will only be toughed out of utter desperation.

Still waiting to find out what will fill the hour lost on the noon show, and The Point axed - dear lord, not repeats of Q!

#23 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

I could not lose:

As It Happens
Vinyl Cafe
The World at Six
Ideas
On the Island

...and then I'm stumped. I appreciate BC Almanac--it used to annoy me by being so focused, I thought, on resource issues, but it really does a good job of being a topical, province-wide show, with some serious issues and a little lighter stuff like Brian Minter, the bird guy, etc.

I used to adore (oh, boy, I'm old...) Peter Gzowski, Vickie Gaboreau, classic Ideas (Lister Sinclair!) and Arthur Black's Basic Black. I guess if I'm still listening to CBC radio, despite my impression that it's not the gold-standard it once was, I will always listen. However, I'm often disappointed by its content and tune to NPR out of Washingston State instead.

Good lord, some days I miss The Transcontinental!

#24 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

Ooh! Seconding "The Age of Persuasion"--that's really good, and Shelagh Rogers' books show. And I used to love "Writers and Company". Did they axe that and I missed it?

And remember "Brave New Waves"?

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

Yes I love Age of Persuasion.

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

I'm really enjoying Rich Terfry's (Buck 65) new show on Radio 2.

#27 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Yes I love Age of Persuasion.

Age of Persuasion is wonderful - how would people feel if Vinyl Cafe was cut! There would be a revolution - no more Dave and the Christmas Turkey?

Funny - no one mentions All Points West or North By North West (JoAnn Roberts and Sheryl MacKay) as being 'must keep'. Have to as mention both those presenters do a huge amount to support local events.

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

I find both of those show a bit sleepy. Especially North by North West. It almost makes me want to go back to bed. Of course I still listen but if they could spice it up with some cutting news or investigations instead of hillbilly choral quartets I would be much happier.

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

I am the only member of my extended family that leaves the room when Vinyl Cafe is on. I have a profound hatred for the way his stories are written.

"I have a turkey," said Dave.
"You have a turkey," said Morley, to Dave.
"You have a turkey," said Morley.
"I'm going to cook it," said Dave.
"You're going to cook it," said Morley.

Kill me.

#30 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

I am the only member of my extended family that leaves the room when Vinyl Cafe is on. I have a profound hatred for the way his stories are written.

"You have a turkey," said Morley, to Dave.
"You have a turkey," said Morley.
"I'm going to cook it," said Dave.
"You're going to cook it," said Morley.

Kill me.

wonderful - don't agree but appreciate your point. It shows how CBC radio shows are loved, hated or considered indifferent by various listeners.

In an interview this evening on AIH CBC VP Richard Stursberg mentioned 4 million weekly listeners to CBC radio (total) with 18 million TV viewers. I would have thought radio numbers to be far higher.

#31 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

Late, but relevant. With my Q's

From the Globe and Mail (shows how print media becomes the source)

[QUOTE]LOST SERVICES

Other specific cuts:

ENGLISH

Less spending on children's television programs
Regional radio noontime programs reduced to one hour (what replaces it?)
Reduction of music recordings by 50 per cent (there goes radio 2 and 3?)
Reduction in radio drama
Closing of one-person bureaus in La Ronge, Sask., and Thompson, Man.
Budget reductions at CBC North (what about 1st nation language services?)
Reduced number of one-off specials such as Canada's Next Great Prime Minister (like Canada Reads? - the most listened to special?)
Dakar bureau closed, job cuts at Paris office, and Radio Canada International services in Ukrainian and Cantonese eliminated (not sure about this - maybe right)
Toronto Blue Jays broadcasts eliminated (now that's really interesting)

#32 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

I only watch CBC TV for the first couple of rounds of the NHL playoffs & during the Olympics. But I would definitely miss some radio shows if they are cut back.

It shows how CBC radio shows are loved, hated or considered indifferent by various listeners.

I think this is a strength of a public broadcasting....variety! Cut Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy, not local news!

#33 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

I think this is a strength of a public broadcasting....variety! Cut Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy, not local news!

I agree! I will also miss CBC radio programs that are being cut.
Such a shame.

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

Anybody hear yesterday's radio interview Q's Jian Ghomehsi did with Billy Bob Thorton and his band? Truly bizarre. His band mates are obviously reconsidering their choice of drummers as we speak.
His behavior in the interview has gained worldwide attention.

Here's the video of the interview. Worth taking a look.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

He is HIGH!

#36 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

He is HIGH!

And oh-so-paranoid!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#37 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

amazing how this has gained traction around the world. Google news has links from BBC, NYT et al http://news.google.c...l=en&q=thornton

While I am not a huge fan of Q or JG, his handling of the 'interview' was right on - and I am sure his agent and the CBC are popping champagne right now over all the media attention. :D

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

Jian is a media-savvy musician so he saw right through Billy Bob's silly act. Besides, that whole "I'm a zany space case actor" bit was overdone when Joaquin Phoenix did it a few months ago. I kinda feel sorry for the other musicians because this is probably their only shot at international attention--they don't have multi-million dollar movie gigs to fall back on. On the other hand there's no such thing as bad publicity and it looks like everyone wins here.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Isn't it Gian?

#40 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Isn't it Gian?

From the CBC Q wesbite

About Us

Q is Canada's liveliest arts, culture and entertainment magazine. It's a smart and surprising tour through personalities and cultural issues that matter to Canadians.

Hosted by Jian Ghomeshi, with his trademark wit and spontaneity, Q covers pop culture and high arts alike with forays into the most provocative and compelling cultural trends. From The Kids in the Hall Reunion to an intimate in-house concert by Martha Wainwright; Salman Rushdie on pop culture; CNN operas; to the branding of politicians... Q brings you big names, big ideas, and those paving the way in Canada's cultural community.
Q is your cultural intervention!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users