Photo

CBC | Radio, television

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#41 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

Times Colonist spells his name Jian - see below.

Billy Bob apologizes to Canada

Billy Bob Thornton apologized to media in Toronto on Thursday, a day after comparing Canadian audiences to mashed potatoes without the gravy.
"I love Canada, absolutely," he said in contrast to comments Thornton made Wednesday as a guest on CBC's radio program Q.
"Canadian audiences seem to be very reserved," he told host Jian Ghomeshi during the interview. "We tend to play places where people throw things at each other. Here, they just sort of sit there. And it doesn't matter what you say to 'em… It's mashed potatoes but no gravy."

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

Billy Bob apologizes to Canada

Edit: I don't know how I missed the previous post.

#43 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

It seems to me that Jian Ghomeshi is by far the biggest beneficiary of this whole thing. I'd never heard of the guy before this.
In chains by Keynes

#44 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

I think this is a strength of a public broadcasting....variety! Cut Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy, not local news!

HOW DARE YOU?!?!?!
In chains by Keynes

#45 duvaroo

duvaroo
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

apparently, the last hour of Almanac and The Point will be replaced by reruns of random shows.

I'll miss Almanac, but I never really warmed up the Point. I still miss Q being on in the afternoon

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Budget cuts will start this year with a $27.8-million reduction in government spending on the CBC's operations, then $69.6 million in 2013-14 and finally reaching the $115-million savings mark by 2014-15. The CBC will also no longer receive a $60-million top-up from the federal government for programming.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1rAoOsRS3
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

Tragic.

And I can't fathom how that Billy Bob thing was 3 years ago.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

The CBC's televised media has become sensationalist journalism not far off from American networks. I can't stand the constant flashes on the screen, sound effects and ads at what seem like very frequent intervals for a network receiving so much federal aid. With sensationalist journalism of that nature I don't think the CBC deserves the public's money for its television efforts.

CBC Radio on the other hand is an important public asset and that I enjoy and support.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

CBC Radio on the other hand is an important public asset and that I enjoy and support.

And somehow ads would kill that?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

CBC radio is not a sensationalist, bombs-and-explosions broadcast. Ads or not, if it becomes something that it is currently not I won't stand behind it. PBR out of Seattle is still my preferred choice for radio and they've taken notice of us with a special frequency covering the south Island. I wonder if the local CBC stations feel the impact of PBR encroaching onto their turf in Victoria?

My major beef with the CBC's televised media is the constant stream of ads. Is the operation that inefficient and bloated so as to need a constant stream of ads and public support?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

CBC radio is not a sensationalist, bombs-and-explosions broadcast. Ads or not, if it becomes something that it is currently not I won't stand behind it. PBR out of Seattle is still my preferred choice for radio and they've taken notice of us with a special frequency covering the south Island. I wonder if the local CBC stations feel the impact of PBR encroaching onto their turf in Victoria?

My major beef with the CBC's televised media is the constant stream of ads. Is the operation that inefficient and bloated so as to need a constant stream of ads and public support?

One time I think it was Terry Moore that was comparing his radio show with that of a CBC radio show that was comparable, and in the same market, I think it was Calgary. He had three workers (producers, researchers etc.) on his show, CBC had over a dozen. And his was more listened-to.

#52 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

One time I think it was Terry Moore that was comparing his radio show with that of a CBC radio show that was comparable, and in the same market, I think it was Calgary. He had three workers (producers, researchers etc.) on his show, CBC had over a dozen. And his was more listened-to.

I think we're talking about two different products here VHF. If you have a guest on your radio show, do you open with a "so who are you and what do you do" line of questioning? That's often what insufficiently staffed radio stations will do.

The CBC has been excessive at times. However, you're more likely to get an interview that will start, "In your latest book you say that religion is the opiate of the masses. What do you mean by that?" In other words, you are doing a service to your listeners if you have some research and preparation behind a discussion.

#53 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Another difference between CBC and the commercial talk radio is who gets paid. The Friday political panel on On the Island gets paid. Ron Cheffins on CFAx does not.

The CBC could save a lot by no longer paying regular guests.

Meanwhile, the move of CBC Radio 2 into the world of advertising is not going to thrill the commercial stations because it will cut into their revenues

#54 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

I think we're talking about two different products here VHF. If you have a guest on your radio show, do you open with a "so who are you and what do you do" line of questioning? That's often what insufficiently staffed radio stations will do.

Was Cfax understaffed? Joe Easingwod could never have been accused of having researched any subject.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#55 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Was Cfax understaffed? Joe Easingwod could never have been accused of having researched any subject.

Joe prided himself on his ability to go into interviews cold, with no research. Of course, there was the famous incident with the woman advocating against cosmetic use of pesticides and Joe thought it was going to be a segment on women's makeup.

I did not know that the CBC's political panel got paid. I gotta find a gig like that. I can't keep giving away these gems to you chumps for free.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#56 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Joe prided himself on his ability to go into interviews cold, with no research.

So the guy actually prided himself on being ignorant?

I've met a lot of people that are ignorant about things but I haven't known many that prided themselves on it.

Wow.
In chains by Keynes

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

Easingwood was also good at going on vacations and upon his return not catching up on any local or even national news that happened in his absence. It was worth tuning into his "open phones" shows after his vacations just for the "wow, really?" factor.

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

At one time I enjoyed Joe, but as time went on CFAX needed some fresh voices. Now they have them, and my favourite is Murray Langdon.

#59 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Joe Easingwood had no staff doing any work for him, it was all Joe. That is what is like for more CFAX hosts, they have to find and prep for their own guests.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Joe prided himself on his ability to go into interviews cold, with no research. Of course, there was the famous incident with the woman advocating against cosmetic use of pesticides and Joe thought it was going to be a segment on women's makeup.

There were a lot more than that one incident, it got so I couldn't stand listening to him. He was also ignorant in basic knowledge and history.

He should have stuck with collecting recipes and whatnot from the local ladies, anything else was way out of his league.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users