CBC | Radio, television

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

Why not sue the woman who made the accusations in the first place? Seems like that's the logical step to take, no? And if she's already admitting that she wishes she could take back what she said then it's an open and shut defamation case.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

You don't sue someone who doesn't have the money to pay you.

#83 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

Why not sue the woman who made the accusations in the first place? Seems like that's the logical step to take, no? And if she's already admitting that she wishes she could take back what she said then it's an open and shut defamation case.

Says he. How do we know that's even factual?

People are taking his statement (which was crafted by a PR agency, by the way) as if it's the truth, and no one has bothered to wait to hear from any of the women that were allegedly victimized by him. The CBC is not dumb, they wouldn't have just fired him based on speculation. I will wait until the full story comes out before I make any judgments on either side.

The only thing we know right now is the person with the clear advantage in terms of resources, influence and profile is getting his story out well ahead of any alleged victims, which is going to tilt public opinion in his favour, be that fairly or unfairly.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

Probably because he's just lost his job over this, even though, as he points out, no one has made a formal complaint against him.

Or so he says.  All the timing here is odd.

As a previous poster says, the CBC has a big HR department and lawyers on retainer (even on weekends!) for this type of thing, they also know what they are doing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

Never heard of him.

Regardless unless the CBC, its management, HR people and especially legal counsel is completely asleep at the switch its highly unlikely a high profile employer like this summarily dismisses someone without very careful consideration and above all with cause; not that I care either way - except for the fact we're talking potentially $50 million taxpayer dollars at stake here - I suppose you just have to let it play out in the courts if it goes that route. Interesting though that he appears to take the offensive very quickly on social media. The cynic in me says the public is being played here per bluefox' comment above, which I happen to agree with.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

Following the announcement, the Giller Prize tweeted that Ghomeshi would no longer be hosting its Nov. 10 gala.

Now wouldn't it be ironic if Fifty Shades of Grey won a Giller Prize?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

Classic Billy Bob Thornton interview...

http://youtu.be/IJWS6qyy7bw

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

I dunno, I guess he's making statements that would be damning if not true, so I don't want to just discount his version as PR spin doctoring.

But who knows what's really going on. Big players have been let go by their employers for far, far less than what's being alleged here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:19 PM

I thought when you got to be a big star, you went onto term contracts, that protected you, and guaranteed a certain amount of money, and also helped the employee retain you from quitting and taking your talent to the competition.  Now we hear he's a just a  union worker.  Odd.

#90 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

I thought when you got to be a big star, you went onto term contracts, that protected you, and guaranteed a certain amount of money, and also helped the employee retain you from quitting and taking your talent to the competition. Now we hear he's a just a union worker. Odd.

What's odd about a union grievance over a (possible) wrongful dismissal?

Edited by Benezet, 26 October 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

What's odd about a union grievance over a (possible) wrongful dismissal?

I just figured high-end public figures were exempt staff and worked on contracts, they were not paid some type of union scale.

You know, like Don Cherry and Ron McLean, or Peter Mansbridge, who negotiate their contracts through agents, and for terms outside of the normal collective bargaining of a union.

#92 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:25 AM

Everyone is entitled to due process. As much as I'd like to feel confident in the HR professionals and upper management at CBC and find it hard to believe that they'd terminate anyone, least of all a prominent figure, without cause and due process, I'm also mindful that the provincial government not so long ago was assuring the public that it handled the terminations of those health researchers absolutely fairly and correctly, and some may recall the way SFU completely bungled the Liam Donnelly/Rachel Marsden case.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:34 AM

Everyone is entitled to due process. As much as I'd like to feel confident in the HR professionals and upper management at CBC and find it hard to believe that they'd terminate anyone, least of all a prominent figure, without cause and due process, I'm also mindful that the provincial government not so long ago was assuring the public that it handled the terminations of those health researchers absolutely fairly and correctly, and some may recall the way SFU completely bungled the Liam Donnelly/Rachel Marsden case.

Yes, two great examples for sure.

#94 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

"Man survives earthquakes, epidemics, the horrors of disease, and all the agonies of the soul,

but for all time his most tormenting tragedy has been, is and will be the tragedy of the bedroom." 

- Leo Tolstoy

"There is no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation"

- Pierre Trudeau

#95 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Now some of my most liberal, progressive, pro-human rights friends on Facebook are signing petitions supporting Jian. Now I loved the guy, he did a great, smart show and I thought he was a thoughtful, admirable man. Yet the accusations (unproven, of course) are so damning. Do people really believe a random group of women, unknown to each other, conspired to destroy a popular radio host? 

For those that have never heard of the guy it would be like Jimmy Fallon or Ryan Seacrest or some other popular broadcaster--except Ghomeshi was more highbrow and in that way gained more respect, especially among the educated, the young and the lefties. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#96 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

poeople are asking that he be given his job back even though he has been accused of crimes at work against females.

I wonder if these people would demand a person is given their job back before due process if it were their friends' or relatives' that had allegedy been victimized by a fellow employee

#97 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

I don't get this - why didn't the CBC just suspend him with pay until proven guilty? No presumption of innocence anymore? (yes, I think this concept should apply beyond the courts).

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

Oh, I see...  http://metronews.ca/...exual-violence/

Over the past few months Torstar News Service has approached Ghomeshi with allegations from three young women, all about 20 years his junior, who say he was physically violent to them without their consent during sexual encounters or in the lead-up to sexual encounters. Ghomeshi, through his lawyer, has said he “does not engage in non-consensual role play or sex and any suggestion of the contrary is defamatory.”

In his Facebook posting Sunday evening, Ghomeshi wrote in an emotional statement that he has “done nothing wrong.” He said it is not unusual for him to engage in “adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission.” However, he said it has always been consensual.

Ghomeshi’s statement said that he has been open with the CBC about the allegations. He said the CBC’s decision to fire him came after he voluntarily showed evidence late last week that everything he has done was consensual. Ghomeshi blames a woman he describes as an ex-girlfriend for spreading lies about him and orchestrating a campaign with other women to “smear” him.

The three women interviewed by Torstar News Service allege that Ghomeshi physically attacked them on dates without consent. They allege he struck them with a closed fist or open hand; bit them; choked them until they almost passed out; covered their nose and mouth so that they had difficulty breathing; and that they were verbally abused during and after sex.

Well, as this stuff comes out, often other victims come forward.  Interesting.

#99 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

poeople are asking that he be given his job back even though he has been accused of crimes at work against females.

I wonder if these people would demand a person is given their job back before due process if it were their friends' or relatives' that had allegedy been victimized by a fellow employee

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that if a friend or a relative of mine was sexually harassed at work, I'd want them to make a formal complaint to the employer before expecting the harasser to face punishment -- or talking to the press.

#100 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

Yes what about if the employee were to be a 16 year old girl would your opinion be the same? Woudl you like the harrasser to remain employeed next to that girl until something was proven?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users