Photo

Some long gone greats: historical Victoria photos

• Please log in to reply
623 replies to this topic

#621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,794 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

The Permanent Loan building could have held its own in Chicago or NYC from the same period. It simply was a gorgeous building.

#622 IPH

IPH
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

I think there is still some of that wood paving in Waddington Alley between Yates and Johnson street.

#623 aastra

aastra
  • 15,026 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

Did anybody ever mention this December 2018 book excerpt in the Times-Colonist re: the Willows exhibition hall? I totally missed it.

(Stuart Stark’s book: The B.C. Agricultural Association Exhibition Building at the Willows)

I've observed before how modern efforts and attitudes re: "preservation" of old Victoria tend to be inscrutably selective. Methinks nothing makes the point as well as that place. Not only was it a magnificent tower (170 feet tall, with a public viewing platform halfway up), but it was quite a ways away from downtown. In 1891. It's pretty much the epitome of everything that modern Victorians think Victoria shouldn't be.

Edited by aastra, 29 October 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#624 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,794 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

Architect Cornelius J. Soule had designed “one of the handsomest pieces of architecture on the Pacific Coast,” observed one attendee, while incorrectly noting that the building was “further admired for being completed in only sixty-five days.” Construction had actually taken 90 days, but contractor William Lorimer had indeed delivered a finished building...

https://www.timescol...lace-1.23524049

We should hire Soule's descendants to design and build a new Crystal Pool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users