CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#501 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

I noticed one of the lights was flickering this evening as though one of the bulbs was about to peter out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#502 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Sure it wasn't the CFAX antenna man wandering around with a flashlight?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Naw, it was one of those red lights that's supposed to flash every few seconds.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#504 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

CFAX, all this morning:

Diving tragedy north of Tofino

October 11, 2013 11:08 from John Spurr
One diver is dead and another is missing, after a dive gone wrong in the Tahsis Narrows, north of Tofino.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Center recieved the call around 3pm Friday afternoon, that three divers were in distress. 442 Squadron from CFB Comox was dispatched and found two of the divers, but one of them died after being brought to shore.

The search for the third diver continued late into the night but was called off. The case has been handed over to the RCMP and is now being treated as a missing persons case.

TC today:

One person is dead, one is missing and another is reportedly in good physical condition after a diving accident just before 3 p.m. Friday near Snake Island, close to the ferry terminal at Departure Bay.

On Friday night, the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre handed its search for the missing diver over to Nanaimo RCMP as a missing person case.

The response to a call for help was fast and large, said Brandon Austin, a search mission co-ordinator with the rescue centre.

A call went out to the rescue co-ordination centre at 2:54 p.m. Within 12 minutes a coast guard boat was on the scene, said Lt. Paul Pendergast of the rescue centre.

The W.E. Ricker fisheries research boat, the Search and Rescue No. 27 volunteer fast response boat, the Cape Cockburn motorized lifeboat out of French Creek, the RCMP catamaran Higgitt, a Buffalo fixed-wing aircraft out of 442 Squadron in Comox, and a Sea King helicopter out of 443 squadron, in Comox, all responded.

Rescuers suspended their search about 6:30 p.m. and handed the case to the RCMP.

Nanaimo RCMP confirmed late Friday that one person was dead, and one person — the only known survivor — was brought to shore.

On Friday night that person was being interviewed by investigators.

Nanaimo RCMP did not immediately respond Friday to comment on whether an RCMP-led search would continue through the night or resume Saturday.

charnett@timescolonist.com

© Copyright 2013

So what to make of all this? I don't know, unless we have two near-identical diving incidents at the same time and day, involving one death and one missing among three divers - but at opposite sides of the Island.

...and I don't think any Sea Kings from 443 are based at 442 Comox, where they fly Cormorants. Right?

EDIT: Oh my... OK, just got a recording at Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, 7:30pm last night.

Diver still missing, Nanaimo. Search ongoing.
Boater reported missing Tahsis Narrows, recovered, dead.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#505 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

wft?!?

Boomertown

Saturdays 8:00PM - 8:30PM
Sundays 7:00PM - 7:30PM
BOOMERTOWN, directed at Baby Boomers , a weekly podcast where Barry Bowman and Roger Currie chat about fun things we all remember; vintage movies, black and white TV, music, collectables, and, as they say: “If it has value and is worth remembering you’ll find it on Boomertown.”

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#506 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

when a diver is said to be lying on his back in 250 ft. of water over him, and the diver who said this, then dies, believe me, looking for him on the surface doesnt go very far.... rest his soul... and recovering a body from 250 , probably wont happen.

#507 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

when a diver is said to be lying on his back in 250 ft. of water over him, and the diver who said this, then dies, believe me, looking for him on the surface doesnt go very far.... rest his soul... and recovering a body from 250 , probably wont happen.

Actually they went and got him at 80m today, recovered.

#508 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Dead air for the second night in a row...

They had the Canadian Press news then silence.

If this is more transmitter maintenance, we'll be getting messages to aliens by the time they've finished.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#509 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

Yes they are doing that they have been advertising it but you can still recieve them via the web streaming, that still works. They will be back on air at 6am

#510 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

They were back at 5 this morning.

#511 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Dead air for the second night in a row...

They had the Canadian Press news then silence.

If this is more transmitter maintenance, we'll be getting messages to aliens by the time they've finished.

Ya, I don't believe it's transmitter maintenance. Staff shortage. They did not advertise any outage prior to 5pm yesterday, I had it on all day.

#512 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Ya, I don't believe it's transmitter maintenance. Staff shortage. They did not advertise any outage prior to 5pm yesterday, I had it on all day.

They couldn't get the janitor to push the button for the Coast to Coast feed?

I used my phone and tuned into CKNW.

#513 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

They couldn't get the janitor to push the button for the Coast to Coast feed?

I used my phone and tuned into CKNW.

How else do you explain the automated Canadian Press newscasts coming on? It might be more than just pressing a button, remember, we get Coast to Coast all chopped up and not in the order its originally broadcast, or packaged. Maybe someone has to manually (digitally) arrange that, and that person was off last night. Or if streaming worked, someone that gets the program to the transmitter was off.

No advance warning of the outage appears on their website or either of their big social media channels.

#514 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

Coast to Coast is live, isn't it? I know we miss the first two hours, then it's repeated at 2AM.

With the level of automation available now I doubt someone's sitting at CFAX all night to do that. The Canadian Press feeds are all automated.

#515 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Coast to Coast is live, isn't it? I know we miss the first two hours, then it's repeated at 2AM.

With the level of automation available now I doubt someone's sitting at CFAX all night to do that. The Canadian Press feeds are all automated.

Ya, it's 10-2 live PST.

So we get the second two hours, then the first two, then we get one more hour repeated.

#516 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

I don't usually stay up all night to listen. We get the live feed until 2AM, then it's the first three hours of the show repeated, is it not? Or is the 3rd hour (4-5am) some random hour stuck in there?

#517 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

I don't usually stay up all night to listen. We get the live feed until 2AM, then it's the first three hours of the show repeated, is it not?

That sounds right.

#518 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Now what the heck is CFAX doing tonight? A sports show is on and I think I caught the tail end of an ad for AM1040....

I'd they keep this up I'm getting another radio that'll pick up CKNW...

#519 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I've moved the posts on the power outage here: http://vibrantvictor...-december-2013/

#520 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

Longtime "Sentimental Journeys" host Al Thane has died.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users