Photo

CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#581 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

^ To correct my earlier post, David Michaels was not technically the host of the show, Terry Moore was. The TC identified Terry as "another man".

David Baines ran one of the first stories on David Michaels back in 2011 and I believe it is mentioned earlier in this thread. The show continued to run for a period of time after that.

The BCSC report stated that David Michaels paid CFAX $2,000 a week to run the show. That likely included Terry Moore's fee but I didn't see mention of that point.

I didn't listen to the show often so I don't recall if Michael's ran commercials during the breaks but if he didn't that would have been a lot of money to pay CFAX for a show where CFAX was still selling advertising.

#582 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

The BCSC report stated that David Michaels paid CFAX $2,000 a week to run the show. That likely included Terry Moore's fee but I didn't see mention of that point.

I didn't listen to the show often so I don't recall if Michael's ran commercials during the breaks but if he didn't that would have been a lot of money to pay CFAX for a show where CFAX was still selling advertising.

Hmm, I can't remember what they ran at breaks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#583 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

What was his motto again? I love helping seniors make money, or something like that. Ya, right!

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#584 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

What was his motto again? I love helping seniors make money, or something like that. Ya, right!

Yes, along those lines.  Of course, nobody complained while he was making money for people.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#585 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

I think I met him, came into my store once and haggled over a $50 used part.   

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#586 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yes, along those lines.  Of course, nobody complained while he was making money for people.

Don't know if anyone ever made money with him but you are right in that those people don't tend to complain.

Victoria has a lot of seniors, who tend to be trusting, and has therefore become the scam capital of Canada IMHO. It is hard to feel badly for people who get burned investing in 15%+ annual rate promises but on the other hand the regulators need to continue to crack down on people who target this segment and make unrealistic promises.

#587 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

^ To correct my earlier post, David Michaels was not technically the host of the show, Terry Moore was. The TC identified Terry as "another man".

David Baines ran one of the first stories on David Michaels back in 2011 and I believe it is mentioned earlier in this thread. The show continued to run for a period of time after that.

Love David Baines; I started reading his "Sun" expose articles when I lived in YVR and continued to do so even after coming back to the island. The guy is 'dug in' to BC and Vancouver-Howe Street money circles no question. Some of the scams he uncovered and/or reported on were just appalling but made for fascinating reading.

#588 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

CFAX also reported it, but did not mention the CFAX connection.

They did in fact mention this connection on CFAX early this morning.  It was sort of glossed over though simply mentioning that he has paid the station for the air time (and implying that therefore they weren't responsible in any way for what he did).  But if I recall right at least one of the announcers that he used for the show is still employed by the station.

#589 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

The announcer wasn't selling anything was he?  I don't see why he should be implicated in this. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#590 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

The announcer wasn't selling anything was he?  I don't see why he should be implicated in this. 

Well my recollections are admittedly vague, but I seem to remember that the announcer was at the very least credulously following the line and not asking any hard questions.  I don't think CFAX can avoid all responsibility, if nothing else the at least moral responsibility.

Edited by eseedhouse, 13 August 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#591 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

...the announcer was at the very least credulously following the line and not asking any hard questions.  I don't think CFAX can avoid all responsibility, if nothing else the at least moral responsibility.

That's typical of infomercials though.  

I don't find the announcer at fault, but CFAX might have done a better job checking the guy out.

#592 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

That's typical of infomercials though.  

I don't find the announcer at fault, but CFAX might have done a better job checking the guy out.

Terry Moore is back on the CFAX roster so no doubt part of the reason why they are not quick to mention his name. I am not suggesting that CFAX or Terry did anything wrong. Most of the weekend talk shows on CFAX are infomercials. A sponsor pays for the show, pays the host (if they are not the host) and controls the content. Some shows are run as informational, some are blatant ads. Now that Bell owns the station they mention prior to these shows that they do not endorse the content. That did not happen in earlier years.

My personal opinion is that CFAX / Bell should be vetting the shows they allow to run if for no other reason than to help protect their brand in the market. I understand that it is a business and someone has to pay for content but if I recall this is the now second financial advisor who has run into hot water with them.

#593 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

My personal opinion is that CFAX / Bell should be vetting the shows they allow to run if for no other reason than to help protect their brand in the market. I understand that it is a business and someone has to pay for content but if I recall this is the now second financial advisor who has run into hot water with them.

Third.

http://www.timescolo...olations-1.7755

A Victoria financial planner has been fined $75,000 after his professional association cited him for several violations.

Gerry Connor, who runs Victoria-based company Connor Financial, had to resign his company's membership in the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada and was issued a permanent ban from acting in some capacities as part of a decision released last month by the regulatory agency.

Although he wasn't found to have profited in any improper way at the expense of his clients, Connor admitted to a variety of infractions, including a failure to send written statements and status reports to clients, the lack of itemized daily records of purchases and sales, and his company's acceptance of 27 clients outside of B.C. where Connor Financial conducted at least six trades in provinces in which he wasn't registered.

"A lot of these are basic requirements," said Shawn Devlin, vice-president of enforcement for the MFDA, which represents 136 members and 75,000 approved salespeople.

The B.C. Securities Commission's interest in previously regular CFAX guest Albert Budai may have become news in September, but it wasn't the first public allegation that some of his practices were questionable. 

Among other things, the BCSC alleges Budai bought stocks, promoted them on the radio and in newsletters, then sold them. Vancouver Sun business reporter David Baines detailed similar schemes in an October, 2004 article, and pointed out the BCSC enforcement staff were looking through Budai's "myriad stock dealings, which are rife with potential conflict." 

And as long ago as 1999, writes Baines, Canadian Business took Budai to task on some of his claims, saying, "Al Budai uses creative mathematics to come up with such great results." 

Two weeks ago, Monday reported CFAX general manager Terry Spence says he doesn't have concerns about anything Budai said as a weekly guest on Spence's show between 2003 and 2006, and it was Budai who made the decision to take a break from the station while he fights the BCSC allegations. 

http://www.pugetsoun...t/m-1161968454/

• Holden West likes this

#594 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

At the beginning and end of any paid infomercial on CFAX there is always a waiver stating that it is a paid asvertisement ans that CFAX / Bell Media does not endorse or agaree with anything on the show

All they care about is getting paid the $2000 per episode and I dont think it is up to the station to engage in due diligence to see if their advertisers are talking trash or not

#595 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

At the beginning and end of any paid infomercial on CFAX there is always a waiver stating that it is a paid asvertisement ans that CFAX / Bell Media does not endorse or agaree with anything on the show

All they care about is getting paid the $2000 per episode and I dont think it is up to the station to engage in due diligence to see if their advertisers are talking trash or not

They have that waiver now, they did not before when some of the shows under discussion were being aired. Bell can take money from whomever they want and Terry Moore can host whichever shows he wants. My point is that in a town like Victoria it harms one's corporate and personal brands being associated with unethical shows and people.

#596 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

I agree partly except CFAX has been here for decades and is well establiished and I feel that listeners will not condemn because of this bad situation.

#597 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

I agree partly except CFAX has been here for decades and is well establiished and I feel that listeners will not condemn because of this bad situation.

Lots of businesses that have been well established have disappeared in our modern world....I wonder what Cfax's true listenership numbers are....how long they will be around....I am probably close to their demographic (grey hairs mentioned previously)....but only listened for a short while when then had a certain syndicated program that ran just about the time I had the car radio on...I'm always surprised when someone here mentions hearing something on CFAX....like someone actually listens to the local AM station????

But as an aside I think it will be a loss when they stop broadcasting (and they will), since not everything is found easily in our new Google/Twitter/Faceook world...

#598 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

Lots of businesses that have been well established have disappeared in our modern world....I wonder what Cfax's true listenership numbers are....how long they will be around....I am probably close to their demographic (grey hairs mentioned previously)....but only listened for a short while when then had a certain syndicated program that ran just about the time I had the car radio on...I'm always surprised when someone here mentions hearing something on CFAX....like someone actually listens to the local AM station????

But as an aside I think it will be a loss when they stop broadcasting (and they will), since not everything is found easily in our new Google/Twitter/Faceook world...

I don't think they are going anywhere soon.

radio5.png

so... Looking at those numbers, lots of people listen to Radio One for many hours.  But more people listen to Kool FM for short periods (in the car, morning and afternoon).

The number, in the thousands, is the number of people that listen to that station for at least 15 minutes in any 7-day period.

In both the spring and fall ratings periods, CFAX likely gets quite a boost by Canucks games.

#599 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

I think that listening to a game on a radio station doesnt quite qualify as listening to the station per se

It would skew the numbers greatly because poll takers try to get a more broad demographic and would not focus primarily on teh hockey fans who dont care what the call numbers are of the station they are tuning to

CFAX does well in the talk format all morning and have a very large following

If CFAX offered open phones topics more often like they did when Mel Cooper owned it and Spence and Easingwood were the voices I am sur ethe phones would never stop ringing.

KOOL probably gets people who are commuting to and from work and its teh best of teh music station available in the car

CFAX has lost a lot of listeners due totheir news cast which carry the same stories for what seems to be eternity and also due to the boring repeats and infomercials and paid programming.

I for one have listened to then for years and still do but mainly from early morning till noon when the talk format is on. the rest of it is trash in my opinion

#600 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

If they broke it down to AM and FM  CFAX would be #1 and it must be of note to the poll takers and/or market analysists work come up with these numbers

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1), Bing (1)