CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#621 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

The lead story on CFAX news today is "Paws for a Cause", which happens to be a CFAX sponsored charity event.  Lame.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#622 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

In other countries News is something that media outlets look for.

They like to add new stories and sometimes you can hear a different news story on each newscast

It is like a competition such as who can find the newest news and new stories.

In this country and especially on CFAX news stories run continuosly sometimes for over 24 hours .

That is every 30 minutes and during peak times such as during morning and evening communtes every 15 minutes.

Another thing that pisses me off about CFAX and one day when the opportunity presents itself I will phone their open phone line and call them on it.

They call everysingle arena or venue by its name such as Ice Rinks and arenaa

The exception is teh previous Bear Mountain aren which is now called the Q Centre

The naming rights were purchased by 100.3 the Q radio station in Victoria

Anytime there is an event at the Q Centre  CFAX Radio only calls it "The Arena in Colwood"

I find this to be extremely disrespectful and juvenile

The little babies who say what to broadcast on CFAX are so high on themselves that they cant bring themselves to say the name of a competing radio station on air...whats with that????

CFAX...grow some balls and and grow up

• Hotel Mike likes this

#623 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

The Q isn't much competition for CFAX.  Daytime news/talk vs Modern Rock. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#624 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

Well even if they are not that much competition I still find it distasteful of CFAX to censor the name

• sebberry likes this

#625 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

The Q isn't much competition for CFAX.  Daytime news/talk vs Modern Rock. 

I think you mean classic rock.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#626 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

I think you mean classic rock.

Well officially it's "The Island's Rock".  So.. whatever.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#627 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

Now the lead story is the Broadmead residents' party.  Paws for a Cause has moved to item #2.

Lame.

• Holden West likes this

#628 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

So with Ian Jessup broadcasting to Kelowna too, I guess he'll never do local guests anymore.  Fortin must be happy he never has to turn down a CFAX interview now.

#629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

What's up with the Kelowna broadcast? I don't get it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#630 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

What's up with the Kelowna broadcast? I don't get it.

They save one staff member in Kelowna, by using Jessup for both.  But they'll need to avoid local issues.  I guess it's the same as 6pm-midnight here run by Vancouver's TSN radio.

#631 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

What's the health of the talk-radio industry like right now?  It seems like the dollars are being stretched thinner than usual.

#632 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

What's the health of the talk-radio industry like right now?  It seems like the dollars are being stretched thinner than usual.

Might be healthier if all our tax money did not go to CBC radio where it's not needed.

#633 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

And yet they use that money to produce the most popular radio station in Victoria.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#634 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

And yet they use that money to produce the most popular radio station in Victoria.

It's popular because it has no commercials and about 5x the manpower to produce it etc.  I'm all for CBC radio being popular, I'm not a fan of paying for it when I never listen to it.  If it was more popular than the big 6 private stations combined, I'd be better with my tax dollars funding it.  Right now we all pay for it, but very few of us listen to it.  I'm OK with the model for Nunavut, not for Victoria or Vancouver...

#635 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

It's popular because it has no commercials and about 5x the manpower to produce it etc.  I'm all for CBC radio being popular, I'm not a fan of paying for it when I never listen to it.  If it was more popular than the big 6 private stations combined, I'd be better with my tax dollars funding it.  Right now we all pay for it, but very few of us listen to it.  I'm OK with the model for Nunavut, not for Victoria or Vancouver...

Most popular but few listen to it? Is that like the restaurant that no-one goes to anymore because it's too crowded? I don't why you don't listen to it. Spite? Because CBC's programming is higher quality.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#636 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Most popular but few listen to it? Is that like the restaurant that no-one goes to anymore because it's too crowded? I don't why you don't listen to it. Spite? Because CBC's programming is higher quality.

I mean it's the most popular, but only has less than 20% market share, of those that listen to radio.  So most of us - the vast majority of us - do not listen to it.  Even if you think every one of us listens to local terrestrial radio (we don't), less than 20% of us listen to CBC Victoria, but we all fund it.

It's not spite.  I'm just comfortable with CFAX.  Not comfortable enough to listen to their weekend rubbish, but I like it for news.  I listen to the Zone on weekends, or for music.  That's a crossover demographic that's pretty small lol.

#637 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

i really enjoy the content on CBC its not like CFAX where all they do is have a daily ***** and moan , choke and puke session on what the government is doing wrong or what is going on with the sewage issue.

When CFAX was owned and run by Mel Cooper it was a great station but when it got bought then devoured into the huge void of Bell Media ...well its now smae old same old day in day out

• Matt R. likes this

#638 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

I'll admit not listening to CBC, more of a CKNW guy.  But they ticked me off when they got rid of Terry Bell for the evening newscasts.  The new newscasters seem to fumble several times during the newscast. 

#639 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

I see that the Bell station in Kelowna, that takes the Jessup show in the afternoon only has 4 hours of local programming each weekday.  17 hours is sports, 8 of which are US based, 1 hour is from Toronto.

#640 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:01 AM

I'll admit not listening to CBC, more of a CKNW guy.  But they ticked me off when they got rid of Terry Bell for the evening newscasts.  The new newscasters seem to fumble several times during the newscast. 

I can't understand why you would ignore solid local content in favour of Vancouver news. I can't tolerate it for more than a few minutes. There's only so many hundred times per hour you can be told about a stalled car on the Port Mann Bridge or an overturned dump truck in Surrey before you go insane.

I just wish C-FAX would let go of a couple of hours of its boring, safe late night syndicated dreck and replace it with some wacky local content: a variety show with music, call-ins, like a podcast aka Lisa, Gene & Eric show. Why not, they have nothing to lose at midnight ratings-wise.

Edited by Holden West, 17 September 2014 - 07:02 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)