CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#641 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

I just wish C-FAX would let go of a couple of hours of its boring, safe late night syndicated dreck and replace it with some wacky local content: a variety show with music, call-ins, like a podcast aka Lisa, Gene & Eric show. Why not, they have nothing to lose at midnight ratings-wise.

I'd got for this.  A midnight call-in show might be fun.

Too bad CFAX never does open-line anymore, call in on any topic.  The way they do it now, you just have the same 6 people calling in all the time.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#642 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Their open phones used to be great but CFAX now needs complete  control over its content When one cals into comment on a subject you get grilled now about what you want to talk about.

I always just say I want to comment about the subject they are talking about that way I dont get censored by the gate keeper

#643 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

^Producers like to know what the caller's views are so they attempt to have a good cross-section of opinions. You want to have at least one contrary opinion to make good radio.

Pre-screening also gets rid of the clueless, the ramblers, the off-topic hijackers and other deadwood.

Edited by Holden West, 17 September 2014 - 09:00 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#644 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

So today I heard:

A Shaw Boxing Week sales, prices good Dec. 26-31.

An ad for tonight's home-opener for the Royals (which is actually next Friday)

Someone should maybe listen to the ad before they program it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#645 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

More ads built into newscasts yesterday.  The Royals Monday Madness ticket deal was in every sports report.  And the Royals don't play until Friday but every sportscast mentions it.

#646 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

I notice now that Rick's Picks TV and movie news only talks about CTV television programs now.

#647 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

Ian Jessops program went on about vaccines causing autism apparently

http://www.reddit.co..._causes_autism/

• sebberry likes this

#648 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

Ian Jessops program went on about vaccines causing autism apparently

http://www.reddit.co..._causes_autism/

Yikes, reddit is not happy with Ian Jessops. Nothing quite like putting children at risk by promoting anti-vaccine pseudo-science. Will have to listen to this and see how bad this was.

#649 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

Yikes, reddit is not happy with Ian Jessops. Nothing quite like putting children at risk by promoting anti-vaccine pseudo-science. Will have to listen to this and see how bad this was.

It's not the first time he's been on about it.

#650 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

Clearly something is up. Why shouldn't he explore the issue?

I'm ok with parents having all the information available to them to make a conscious choice about what their kids receive. And if there is something to this vaccine stuff then I see a natural or alternative vaccine market popping up that doesn't push a whole slew of chemicals and compounds together with the active agent or whatever its called.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#651 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Clearly something is up. Why shouldn't he explore the issue?

I'm ok with parents having all the information available to them to make a conscious choice about what their kids receive. And if there is something to this vaccine stuff then I see a natural or alternative vaccine market popping up that doesn't push a whole slew of chemicals and compounds together with the active agent or whatever its called.

In my opinion, thats not how he put forward the discussion. The host and guest shut down the caller who pointed out that anti-vaccine fear mongering has been discredited time and time again.

#652 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

OK, so he was controlling the debate? Ian Jessop tends to do that for sure. I was a guest on one of his shows and found myself walking right into a trap and about to say something I didn't intend to say. Media loves a little bit of sensation, and they know just how to get their intended point of view to come across regardless of what their interviewee or source truly intends to get across.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#653 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

If you want controversy then get someone to debate adding Rob Ford's name as Mayor of Victoria or get Tim Ball to tell us how global warming is made up. Don't use junk science and thoroughly discredited research to muck with someone's health and then cut off anyone who tells to provide an informed opinion.

Joe Easingwood and Terry Spence has many flaws but at least they had some degree of self respect and integrity. Neither one would ever allow themselves to be associated with con artists, discredited nutritional supplements, or scientific hocus pocus. It seems nowadays that as long as the standard "buyer beware" announcements precedes the shows then anything goes.

• Holden West, Jill, David Bratzer and 1 other like this

#654 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hey, I like Tim Ball!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#655 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

Joe Easingwood and Terry Spence has many flaws but at least they had some degree of self respect and integrity. Neither one would ever allow themselves to be associated with con artists, discredited nutritional supplements, or scientific hocus pocus. It seems nowadays that as long as the standard "buyer beware" announcements precedes the shows then anything goes.

Terry Spence was associated with Al Budai.

Jessop admitted today that he and the station had received much e-mails, but he defended the studies he cited today.

#656 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Clearly and significantly debunked by science. It is dangerous to have media speaking about things they know nothing about. If it was for argument sure but it isn't.
  • gumgum, Rob Randall, Nparker and 2 others like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#657 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

Terry Spence was associated with Al Budai.

Jessop admitted today that he and the station had received much e-mails, but he defended the studies he cited today.

Ok then Joe Easingwood had integrity!

#658 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

Hey Spanky. I hate to bust your bubble, but I remember way back in 1984 or so, Easingwood ran for the Socreds in Victoria. He used his own talk show to make the announcement. That did not show integrity, and I thought it was pretty oily. He lost and went back to his radio talk career.

• Holden West likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#659 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

Hey Spanky. I hate to bust your bubble, but I remember way back in 1984 or so, Easingwood ran for the Socreds in Victoria. He used his own talk show to make the announcement. That did not show integrity, and I thought it was pretty oily. He lost and went back to his radio talk career.

Not so fast.  As soon as he announced, he promptly left the air, as per the rules.

#660 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

I remember the snowstorm of 1996 and the great coverage and help to the public the announcers made . I don't know if it could be pulled off today by CFAX and I guess technology has changed as it would be one of the last places I refer to now. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users