CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#1081 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

I think Alan Perry is probably safe. I think his show is like the other infomercials where the host buys the air time and fills it with whatever he / she wants. As in Terry Moore - Motorline, Jennifer Shaw - Pet Show, etc. Perry's Tech Talk is really the only viable weekend programming on CFAX right now. It is a good listen and Alan is obviously very passionate about this stuff. I'd hate to see it gone.

• sebberry and Bingo like this

#1082 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

I think Alan Perry is probably safe. I think his show is like the other infomercials where the host buys the air time and fills it with whatever he / she wants. As in Terry Moore - Motorline, Jennifer Shaw - Pet Show, etc. Perry's Tech Talk is really the only viable weekend programming on CFAX right now. It is a good listen and Alan is obviously very passionate about this stuff. I'd hate to see it gone.

CFAX has run a few different models over the years but yes they are basically infomercials.

#1083 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:58 PM

There was about 4cm of snow on the  ground in Victoria

In 96 there was 70cm or so

What part of town was that in?  I saw 4cm several times over.  There was hardly anybody driving on the side roads and very little plowing or salting either from what I saw; too busy elsewhere obviously, just like Vancouver back in early January when the side roads were unplowed and unsalted ice sheets.  Many businesses closed here and many people could not travel, including no doubt some people who were care-givers for others. 

Probably liability-phobia would play a part these days.

#1084 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:59 AM

I suspect Alan Perry does not get paid to host his show.

What's interesting, is that his show, one of the most popular on CFAX, really has nothing to do with Victoria.  They could host the same show from New York, or Australia.  It's computer stuff, and other than the odd talk about local retailers and their deals, fixing computer problems is not a local issue.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1085 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:02 AM

downtown.

#1086 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

Alan Perry talks too much in that show. He rarely takes call . The show is all about him talking to his guest.

If he let more than 4 people an hour call it it would be better

#1087 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

CFAX has slowly been eroded and whittled down to basically a station playing garbage after Mel Cooper was forced to sell the station.

Its slide into the abyss is still taking place.

Recorded shows, repeats , Hockey games in late afternoon, newscast that carry the same nes for over 24 hours so you are forced to listen to the same news over and over and over again

My standby station CBC is turning into my main go to station . Good reports great stories. Everything online so if I hear a great story I can look it up and listen again

#1088 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

^ Not to mention having every host cover the same topics every day!

#1089 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Yes they do all that. But presumably some news channels count on their audiences only tuning in here and there. News 1130 in Vancouver for example.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1090 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

Global BC is taking the same route.

Same news in 3 consecutive news casts.

I watch the first 3 stories then switch to US local stations on NBC ABC CBS  Seattle, Boise etc

Different news cast each time stories updated. Interesting new.

I like watching Global BC Saturday/Sunday Morning news but when I do I make damn sure I didn't watch any of their 2 previous newscasts the night before 6pm 11pm because they are the same as the morning.

CFAX is slipping away still how long before everyone is fired and the station shuts down

#1091 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

Yes they do all that. But presumably some news channels count on their audiences only tuning in here and there. News 1130 in Vancouver for example.

So whenever I tune in I can get "breaking news" that could be 4 or five days old, just like the porridge on the stove.

#1092 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

Yes Bingo those are so irritating .

" Breaking News"  Big Manhunt in Thetis Lake Park

Oh wow that sounds interesting maybe Ill saunter down there and film something.

"CFAX your breaking news stations...that story was from 1 year ago"

#1093 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

CFAX is playing music instead of Money Talks this morning...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1094 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

CFAX is playing music instead of Money Talks this morning...

Huh.  CKNW it's Money Talks.

#1095 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:01 AM

Yup.  Now CFAX has ads running pre 9AM news. 

Strange.  I'll stay tuned.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1096 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

Ok, Money Talks is now live on CFAX.  That was strange.

#1097 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Scientific polling at its finest

poll.JPG

Results accurate within +/- 117%  :wacko: 

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070

• Matt R. and On the Level like this

#1098 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

More proof we can entirely ignore anything from that hack "media" group.

• Nparker likes this

#1099 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

I wonder if they were trying to fix the issue with anyone being able to vote a gazillion times in the same poll....

#1100 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Its changes.....yes's have -25% and the naysayers are at 125%
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Bingo like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users